All things pedal related.

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

abhor wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:50 am Ever see a pedal spark all over the place when you plug a 9v manufacturer specified adapter into it? I've had these weird nuisances with Joyo pedals but my extreme metal tried to kill my family tonight. Weird it didn't damage anything, in fact I just crammed the adapter back in and everything was fine but the curtains.

I'm just sort of puzzled.
I spoke too soon, I just had a Joyo Vintage Overdrive spark after swapping the power lead for a similar one on the same branch. Seems like it's the power inputs are the culprits, some fitting better than others and some not powering due to a poor fit.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

codec_spurt wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:54 amBut thanks for the tip all the same. I'm off to google 'Ross-style compressor'. New one on me.
Seems to based on a Ross.
Ammoon AP-05 Dynamic Compressor AKA Joyo
Edit - heard it might be a Boss CS-2 copy, same number of knobs.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Joyo has several wrong components. When we fixed them to the correct values, the pedal sounded fantastic. I made 20 of them and the amp company Bad Cat bought them all from me at an amp show.

Uncle E wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:05 pm The Joyo has several wrong components. When we fixed them to the correct values, the pedal sounded fantastic. I made 20 of them and the amp company Bad Cat bought them all from me at an amp show.
That's cool.

Uncle E wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:41 amMosky makes some cool analog multi FX pedals. One of them even has a power supply built-in to it. I ordered a bunch of them years ago when Mosky first started and was really impressed. Their version of the OCD is more accurate than most Chinese clones I've tried.
Mosky Obsessive Overdrive does indeed sound fine. It sounds fuller, richer and rounder than the Mooer Hustle drive, with the Mooer has more bite, treble-like response. They can be had for £17 delivered.

I found greater variation can be achieved by putting a compressor first in the chain, followed with an optional boost. I use a Mooer Pure Drive after the compressor, this can be useful when wanting to push a screamer type pedal.

Just noticed Mosky power supplies £20
After researching pedals, I came across a Carl Martin DC-Drive 2018, sounds interesting.
https://youtu.be/XqHnRQUEZXE

I've been eyeing up the TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer for the bass-heavy alternate modes (and playing around with the equivalent mods in The Scream). Any recommendations for a comparable but more budget-friendly low-end booster?

Application: feeding the already-rather-bright Gain 1 channel of my Kraken preamp.

The Noodlist wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:12 pm I found greater variation can be achieved by putting a compressor first in the chain, followed with an optional boost.
Or even before and after. The start of the chain on my pedalboard is:

Treble booster
Wah-wah
Compressor
Overdrive/boost

The treble booster and wah-wah before the compressor ensures that the tone shaping can take place on the uncompressed signal, but the overdrive after the compressor is a totally different boost. I always use a clean tone on the amp and do all my gain staging on the board, as I have so many more options there to create the tone I want.

fuzz
comp
volume
wonderland...

the comp has a built in od too.
if fuzz is on, comp is off unless i want the od as well.

then the volume pedal open fully is the wall of sound! that hits the time and space type fx.

I think you can pretty much put fuzz anywhere in the chain and it sounds the same... :hihi:

i do sometimes add a second on a reverb send :oops:

Forgotten wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:41 pm I think you can pretty much put fuzz anywhere in the chain and it sounds the same... :hihi:
Before or after a reverb should sound different.

perfumer wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:49 pm
Forgotten wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:41 pm I think you can pretty much put fuzz anywhere in the chain and it sounds the same... :hihi:
Before or after a reverb should sound different.
I know, I’m kidding - it’s just not a very subtle effect, so you don’t have to think about where you put it quite so much.

my sonic bloom one definitely isnt subtle, with its built in square wave oscillator :o
screams like the proverbial barstard!!!

Just found a compressor more useful before overdrives.

The Noodlist wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:03 pm Just found a compressor more useful before overdrives.
Definitely. I would think the overdrive would add too many harmonics that you wouldn’t want the compressor to have to deal with if it came first.

Return to “Guitars”