Can someone explain to me the function of a compressor?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:41 pm
Teksonik wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:56 am "Google it" = "I don't know the answer". :lol:
Nah. "Google it" means, "If you don't Google it, then I'm going to probably have to Google it for you, so that I can copy/paste the links (to videos, blog-posts, and thousands of links to similar threads on KVR) that you'd have already discovered if you'd only thought to Google it, beforehand" :shrug:
So what is the purpose of KVR if the only help we give is "google it" ? Has this site devolved into nothing more than "Plugin A vs. Plugin B" or "What's Your Favorite" ?

We are so happy to give our opinions yet when it comes to giving actually useful information it's google it then wade through "videos, blog-posts, and thousands of links", good luck ? People seem to forget we were all newbies at one point. It's a simple question that has since been answered. I was addressing the first two replies in this thread.

Ok whatever have a nice day everyone....... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:34 pm
Teksonik wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:56 am "Google it" = "I don't know the answer". :lol:
Nah. "Google it" means, "If you don't Google it, then I'm going to probably have to Google it for you, so that I can copy/paste the links (to videos, blog-posts, and thousands of links to similar threads on KVR) that you'd have already discovered if you'd only thought to Google it, beforehand" :shrug:
So what is the purpose of KVR if the only help we give is "google it" ? Has this site devolved into nothing more than "Plugin A vs. Plugin B" or "What's Your Favorite" ?

We are so happy to give our opinions yet when it comes to giving actually useful information it's google it then wade through "videos, blog-posts, and thousands of links", good luck ? People seem to forget we were all newbies at one point. It's a simple question that has since been answered. I was addressing the first two replies in this thread.

Nothing wrong with helping out people on the site, and I think many of us do. But I definitely think that the person who posts the question should be a bit more pro-active before asking the question. Like I said, in many cases, answering the op's question will involve doing the googling or searching Youtube, ourselves. And those who went out of their way to try to give a quick explanation themselves (and I'd argue, despite the best intentions, nobody has managed to distill the essence of an answer that's going to be of much help to the op), would have probably been better off performing a KVR search, which I'd also argue is something the op might have done before opening the thread.

With a bit of effort on the op's part e.g Reading the manuals that come with his plugins, or a preliminary Google search, he might have got the basics down, and then asked other members to clarify points of misunderstanding etc. That's a far better use, imo, of everybody's time.

I think those that suggested Googling are the type of people who do that exact same thing when they wish to know something. Had Mozzy entered his question in Google, he'd have ended back here, anyway, just without all the fuss.

you can give a man a fish.
or you can teach a man to poogle.

Mozex wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:54 am @jochicago I only have these compressors to my availablility (It are a few of the the plugins that are available in the all acces pass): https://www.slatedigital.com/virtual-analog-bundle/
With that bundle you should have what you need. Most people can only justify about 5 compressors, the rest is just having overlapping depth. We tell ourselves we need the depth to have the right tool for each job, but in reality we just want to have fun when mixing and grabbing for a different compressor on occasion is more fun than using the same 3 or 4 all the time.

The only compressors you really need are some transparent leveler (LA-2A), a musical squasher (1176), a middle-of-the-road all-purpose (VCA), and a versatile digital for special occasions and for buses (Kotelnikov or something like that).

So I recommended starting with the LA2A-style (SLAX is free) because it only has 2 knobs and it's easy to use. (People that have Slate, which model is their LA-2A?)

Also, since you are investing in tools, if you are making a list of potential investment, I'd recommend that your next one should be the Scheps Omni channel strip when it's on sale under $40 which should happen at some point soon by Black Friday.

Mozex wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:51 am @ cfanyc thank you thats very helpfull. I have a question to everyone: I assume I need to put this on my master bus?
you are welcome;

as to placement: depending on what you intend to do with compression
it has a place in tracks, sub-busses, or the master buss (or combinations of the above).

Specifically in the master buss it will be most often be used for glueing and loudening
(or adhering to a desired loudness level maximum mandated by a music sharing/publishing platform).

The compressor reduces the level of the loudest parts of a signal and increases the level of the softest parts. As you can imagine this generally smooths out the sound to be more consistent and controlled and less spiky if that's a word. In other words a compressor helps level the overall sound but by doing this, it reduces the dynamics you would otherwise have.
Took me all of 2 minutes to explain the "basic purpose."
If you had asked how to make compressor decisions, then I would have added to the " Youtube Tutorial" sentiment. I'm sure some will chime in with a better explanation but I couldn't stand these google/youtube answers anymore. Alot of people know exactly what something does but maybe just can't put it into words they're comfortable explaining so they send you off to google. I get it. Hope this helps.

dblock wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:17 pm Took me all of 2 minutes to explain the "basic purpose."
I applaud your sentiment but you haven't actually helped. OP is not asking to fill in a question on a test, OP is trying to teach himself compression. So the only type of answer that helps him is one that either solves his problem or puts him on the learning path.

In practice, compressors and their application are beyond the scope of what can be said in a paragraph. For instance:
> The compressor reduces the level of the loudest parts
Not exactly true. If I give attack leeway, or use the HP sidechain, then the kick can fly right through and never get compressed. Thus you never actually reduced the peaks.

> increases the level of the softest parts
Also not exactly true if I misstime my release and end up over-compressing the tails.

> it reduces the dynamics you would otherwise have
Maybe. But if you do the 2 scenarios I just described, then you are not reducing the dynamic range at all, just changing the character of the track.

And this is the problem with compression. It's such a capable tool, you can't describe it's hands-on application without going into a ton of detail.

jochicago wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:38 pm
dblock wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:17 pm Took me all of 2 minutes to explain the "basic purpose."
I applaud your sentiment but you haven't actually helped. OP is not asking to fill in a question on a test, OP is trying to teach himself compression. So the only type of answer that helps him is one that either solves his problem or puts him on the learning path.

In practice, compressors and their application are beyond the scope of what can be said in a paragraph. For instance:
> The compressor reduces the level of the loudest parts
Not exactly true. If I give attack leeway, or use the HP sidechain, then the kick can fly right through and never get compressed. Thus you never actually reduced the peaks.

> increases the level of the softest parts
Also not exactly true if I misstime my release and end up over-compressing the tails.

> it reduces the dynamics you would otherwise have
Maybe. But if you do the 2 scenarios I just described, then you are not reducing the dynamic range at all, just changing the character of the track.

And this is the problem with compression. It's such a capable tool, you can't describe it's hands-on application without going into a ton of detail.
As I said in my post, I'm sure someone will come with a better explanation and by doing so maybe Mozex is getting what he's looking for. I'm good with that. It beats the hell out of "take your ass to google" as a first answer so good for him.

Teksonik wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:34 pm

OK, so please explain to the OP what compression is. I expect to see a reasonably complicated text of several pages by tomorrow morning - written by you. Thank you!

BTW Slate manuals are a thing that he already owns, but hasn't looked at, so...

I think you said you work with loops a lot. If that’s the case, you might not need compression very often as commercial loops have often been pretty heavily compressed already.

DJ Warmonger wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:02 am Compressor is automated volume controller. That's all.
What compressor does, you can do manually with gain automation - but people just don't have time to do that.

Usually it's used to even out volume levels, but can also accentuate transient portion of a signal.
That is the biggest singel myth that exists about compression. It thing the audio world should eradicate it. It is most certainly NOT an "automated volume controller". For that purpose you have plugins like Melda's "auto volumm"

jochicago wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:49 pm A compressor is the second most important signal manipulator and the hardest to learn.
:eyebrow:

If you think a compressor is the second most important, what's the first?
Michey wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:32 pmIt is most certainly NOT an "automated volume controller".
An automated volume controller is literally exactly what a compressor is.

The details are all in how the automation reacts to the input.

...come to think of it, every signal generator and signal processor that exists could, in a sense, be described as an "automated volume controller" of some kind :hihi: But in a very practical sense, compressors are definitely, literally, volume controls.

foosnark wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:25 pm
jochicago wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:49 pm A compressor is the second most important signal manipulator and the hardest to learn.
The one thing you'll see in the channels of any classic console, including the ones that don't have compressors on the channels: so a micro pitch shift, of course. Probably tied with sub bass harmonizer. But I can see an argument for the ring modulator. :party:

Yeah, it's literally nothing but a volume control.

A frequency sensitive one that usually adds harmonic content, changes the EQ balance and even adds a bit of phase shift in some cases. One that also has this control signal thing and some slew limiting going on inside. Also lookahead.

But yeah, nothing but a volume control. :lol:

:eyebrow:

I'd vote for EQ if we leave out super low level stuff like volume controls, etc.
Michey wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:32 pmIt is most certainly NOT an "automated volume controller".
An automated volume controller is literally exactly what a compressor is.

The details are all in how the automation reacts to the input.

...come to think of it, every signal generator and signal processor that exists could, in a sense, be described as an "automated volume controller" of some kind :hihi: But in a very practical sense, compressors are definitely, literally, volume controls.
Interesting view to look at it. So every signal processor just nudges each individual sample to the place where it should be. :hihi: On a more serious note, I think volume changes are rather seen as a multiplicative operations a la "Make it louder by a factor of x." This interpretation then breaks down for original samples that are 0 because you won't be able to multiply them to get them moved to another value.
Passed 303 posts. Next stop: 808.

Return to “Effects”