Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

The 2D wavetable concept didn't start with Fathom per se. Csound has a version of it which is reffered to as Wave Terrain synthesis, and there are multiple eurorack modules with 2D wavetables. All of these, however, only have morphing or mixing between the wavetables, mathematical functions with 2 wavetables is Fathom exclusive. And this is before we address the distortion and detune.

A quick question about the website, Chrome asks if I want to translate and if I do then the word "sale" is replaced with "dirty" is there an in joke I am missing ?
Noticed a couple of typos in the user guide, nothing major so dont panic.
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

Not sure what is going on with the Chrome translation but the French word "Sale" translates to "Dirty" in English. Sounds like Chrome is confused. In USA I don't get any translation offers from Chrome on the Fathom web site. Maybe there is a setting on my web site host which tells Chrome that the base language is English and I don't have it set properly. One of demo song titles is in french so that could be triggering it for the rest of the page.

The user guide is 200 pages so I'm not surprised there are typos, things like two vs too could pass the spell checker, also there are differences between USA and UK English such as Color vs Colour.

The English word "dirty" generally means the French "sale", yes:
  • A dirty handkerchief : un mouchoir sale.
  • A car with a dirty bodywork : une voiture avec une carrosserie sale.
  • Etc.
But when "dirty" is said for a file which has been altered, it is not the word "sale" which is the French equivalent but the word "modifié" (meaning altered in memory and not yet saved in its new state):
  • A dirty file : un fichier modifié (altered in RAM some minutes ago and not yet saved in its new state)
  • A dirty preset : un preset modifié (and not yet saved in its new state).
Words in a language may have several translations in another language, depending the context.
:)
Last edited by BlackWinny on Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Ok thanks, at least they're not typos in fathoms code lol
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

:)
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

When someone wants to translate short texts or documents from and to one of these languages (English, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Dutch, Polish, Russian) I recommend that person to not use Google but to use preferably this other free online tool which is much more efficient:
https://www.deepl.com/translator
:tu:

I use it sometimes, but my wife needs it everyday. It's been now years that she don't use Google anymore for her needs of translations.

And you will also see that very often you have at the bottom of the two frames some alternatives for some words applied in the translation. Clicking on these alternatives is possible to automatically replace the worse translation by this new better one that you are choosing. And sometimes there are examples of sentences showing one or two contexts where these translations are used. It is not yet perfect, of course (and none won't ever be) but it is way, way, way better than Google's translator and with way, way, way more efficient results.

It also allows to translate full documents and full webpages as you can see at the bottom of the first frame.

This tool is closely linked to a wide project named Linguee (free too) which is a database of a billion documents translated in academic, industrial, scientific, and administrative domains and even in the Foreign Affairs.

Linguee is the best translation facility you could find to search for online translations, very useful for words, expressions, idioms, etc... and Deepl is the tool which allows you to translate your full sentences (or even your full documents) by the use of all the Linguee's database. And all that... is totally free, online.

Two weeks left in October to get Fathom Synth here at KVR for $25.00,
after that it will be going back up to $45.00.

Whats holding me off is that it won´t be backward compatible for the macs with no avx... or will you have an alternative to use it without avx? i know that my mac is old, but for my job it works flawless and if i don´t have to, why pay 8000 for a new one. as i read in the massive x thread i am not alone it seems. still a very reliable machine.

Not knowing your day job, I suggest separating work from play,
at the computer level.
You can buy a used i7 avx system for slightly less
than $8000. If your work is producing music,
I double suggest cheaply augmenting your computer setup.
Fathom is worth it, with the bonus of more apps becoming
available for your productivity, as time marches on.
If cash is tight, by the time you save up, new versions of
Massive X and Fathom will be ready to use.
Cheers

Xbucket wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:17 pm Whats holding me off is that it won´t be backward compatible for the macs with no avx... or will you have an alternative to use it without avx? i know that my mac is old, but for my job it works flawless and if i don´t have to, why pay 8000 for a new one. as i read in the massive x thread i am not alone it seems. still a very reliable machine.
Everett posted this on September 10th:
FathomSynth wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:27 pm In the unlikely event that someone is running an Intel processor so old that it does not have AVX then Fathom will still run fine just like before, it just won't be running 8 times as fast using the AVX registers.

Fathom reads the hardware profile to detect if AVX is present or not and adjusts its audio processor accordingly.

Same applies for Mac machines. Computers which are not running an Intel processor will still run fine, they just won't call the AVX routines.
So it seems your concerns are unfounded.

ah, that seems fine! haven´t read that. the case in upgrading; i´ll definitely do this some time but at the moment other things come first and I´m also waiting for the new cheese grater; this black trash bin made no sense. that might be a reason for a few mac men.
a second computer only for music feels like holding me up to fiddle a bit in between jobs. sometimes it´s the little things which hold you back and disturb creativity.

I don't think Intel AVX compatibility will be limited by whether or not you have a Mac or Windows machine. Lots of Macs have Intel processors and as long as the Intel processor is reasonably current then it can do AVX. The Fathom Mac OSX build will have the Intel AVX code in it. I just have to check if the Intel compiler has XCode compatibility. Windows code is compiled with the Microsoft Visual Studio development environment and Mac OSX code is compiled with the XCode development environment.

I'm not sure yet if XCode will be able to compile my Intel AVX code.

Also, keep in mind if you buy Fathom before the Intel AVX release comes out, you will get a huge rebate on the cost difference, where as if you wait till afterwards then you will have to pay full price.

I still bought it and had some fun learning a few things (attached).feel free to think what´s going on with this dude! :party:
hopefully it will continue working; otherwise i don´t know. :-D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FathomSynth wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:12 am I don't think Intel AVX compatibility will be limited by whether or not you have a Mac or Windows machine. Lots of Macs have Intel processors and as long as the Intel processor is reasonably current then it can do AVX. The Fathom Mac OSX build will have the Intel AVX code in it. I just have to check if the Intel compiler has XCode compatibility. Windows code is compiled with the Microsoft Visual Studio development environment and Mac OSX code is compiled with the XCode development environment.

I'm not sure yet if XCode will be able to compile my Intel AVX code.

Also, keep in mind if you buy Fathom before the Intel AVX release comes out, you will get a huge rebate on the cost difference, where as if you wait till afterwards then you will have to pay full price.
@FathomSynth I'm new to Fathom (and loving it) but this is the first I've heard about a new product (fathom avx) .
Will this be a product that branches away from standard fathom pro and introduces additional new features?

Return to “Instruments”