PSA for Mac Reason users: Hold off on updating to macOS 10.15 Catalina

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Saverio from Hornet plugins sent out an email today that the standalone versions of his apps did work under Catalina beta but apparently do no longer work under the final Catalina release. It appears that Apple has tightened up notarization requirements from beta to final and that left some developers in the rain.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

mgw38 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:48 pm Saverio from Hornet plugins sent out an email today that the standalone versions of his apps did work under Catalina beta but apparently do no longer work under the final Catalina release. It appears that Apple has tightened up notarization requirements from beta to final and that left some developers in the rain.
So, it's not even about testing, but about Apple f*cking things in the last minute? :scared:
Fernando (FMR)

On a slightly related note, Celemony just stated that Melodyne 4.2.4 was released and is OK on Catalina:

https://www.celemony.com/en/macos-catalina
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

fmr wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:41 pm
mgw38 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:48 pm Saverio from Hornet plugins sent out an email today that the standalone versions of his apps did work under Catalina beta but apparently do no longer work under the final Catalina release. It appears that Apple has tightened up notarization requirements from beta to final and that left some developers in the rain.
So, it's not even about testing, but about Apple f*cking things in the last minute? :scared:
Catalina does not allow apps to run if they have not passed a security test. It is very strict about that, which I personally think is a good thing for the average user. Apparently, the beta versions were a bit more lenient than the final release. That should not be a big problem since that testing procedure is automated and does not need much time. But it seems that this inconsistency has created some confusion in the development community and most are siding with caution.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

The issue here is that Apple said during the beta cycle that apps built before June 2019 hat more relaxed notariztion requirements, it doesn't seems to hold true in the final release since our GuitarKit stand alone and the Key Detector app does not work on the final release.

BTW it's not a big deal since we just need to notarize them and upload a new zip on our server. the only issue we have is with our watermarking code but this it's entirely expected and under control (just takes a while to deploy a new distribution system that takes into consideration that new required apple signature, I had plan to deploy it after a good amount of testing, but as things are changing unpredictably as they are i think i'll have to act faster)

Saverio

Good news for everyone using Ableton Live, it was just updated to version 10.1.2 with fully certified Catalina compatibility :)
Ableton had extensive beta testing program during Catalina betas and have achieved what other big players still can’t...
Steinberg will release new fully Catalina compatible but PAID $99 version in late November or early December, followed up with Catalina fix for older version sometime in January or February 2020, same story every year.

Atlatnesiti wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:56 pm Good news for everyone using Ableton Live, it was just updated to version 10.1.2 with fully certified Catalina compatibility :)
Ableton had extensive beta testing program during Catalina betas and have achieved what other big players still can’t...
Steinberg will release new fully Catalina compatible but PAID $99 version in late November or early December, followed up with Catalina fix for older version sometime in January or February 2020, same story every year.
To be fair, we released Reason 11 two weeks ago and were pretty focused on that. :party:

For the record we're looking at it now and any update we have to do will be free. It's not just compatibility this time around either, there are also new types of requirements from Apple. CDM has a decent summary: https://cdm.link/2019/09/macos-catalina ... t-to-know/

Thanks for update, Ableton got around it, why can’t you..?

Atlatnesiti wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:57 pm Thanks for update, Ableton got around it, why can’t you..?
He literally just said they're working on a free update. I mean, at least that's how I interpret "looking at it".
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Reason 10.4 works fine for me on Catalina and haven’t found any issues at all.

So, days pass, yet there's still no official info on the matter. Of course we all know it works, I'm just wondering whether RS will be able to throw any useful info for their clients before spring.

It's ridiculous.

The thing that always surprises me is that whatever Apple is doing in these annual OS upgrades, from my personal perspective, NOTHING is really changing. I don't care about their themes, I don't use any IOS devices etc. etc. Now I emphasise this is strictly my experience, but when I turn on my iMac, I tend to do exactly the same thing as I have always done...every time I actually do upgrade, my computer restarts and it looks exactly the same and for the most part my software does what it always has...anyways I ramble, I doubt I need to do anything to my computer. It works just fine and I don't feel I am actually missing anything.

I just upgrade to Mojave and I did specifically to avoid Catalina so I'm good here. Won't upgrade to Catalina until just before the new version of macOS drops, if even then.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

jacqueslacouth wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:21 am The thing that always surprises me is that whatever Apple is doing in these annual OS upgrades, from my personal perspective, NOTHING is really changing. I don't care about their themes, I don't use any IOS devices etc. etc. Now I emphasise this is strictly my experience, but when I turn on my iMac, I tend to do exactly the same thing as I have always done...every time I actually do upgrade, my computer restarts and it looks exactly the same and for the most part my software does what it always has...anyways I ramble, I doubt I need to do anything to my computer. It works just fine and I don't feel I am actually missing anything.
I kind of do the same every time i get a new smartphone... same way to arrange the apps, same folder structure, same background... guess it's like that when you grow older, you become conservative, and have to have things as they always used to be. :) Even though i'd agree that most of the modern folderol is just that, and most new functionality trivial, or mostly for looks.

Please don't make me go back to Windows XP though. Please...

After a looooong wait, updates with Catalina support are finally there

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”