A Free Vst emulation for a Yamaha Tx81z syth esp lately bass

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

surreal wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:24 pm I will have a look at that one.. Etienne have you tried it? What is your opinion on it?
OXE FM is great. The gui is a bit small but great synth nonetheless. I believe there might be a lately bass preset aswell. You should def check it out. :tu:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Most FM (actually most often Phase Modulation) synths (like the Yamaha DX7 and Dexed) only have pure sines. But the TX81Z can generate 7 additional shapes. And of them is used in Lately Bass (OP3).

TX Waveshapes

Patch settings (screenshots of an emulator).

Last edited by Kwurqx on Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

There is a DX7 approximation of Lately Bass called Solid Bass (obviously using sines only)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LcJsiNkpb4

An approximation in Bitwigs Grid, which does have the required waveform. Tweak it to make it fit better...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

One can make that sound on a normal subtractive/analog synth as well. And it is easier than programming it on one of those DX synths.

To get that growl, you would need oscillators which are not present in normal subtractive synths. You could try to create a wavetable out of an FM sound though, but that is like sampling, hard to get the same reaction on the sound you get with those velocity modulations... In that sound there is no filter at all!

Someone already tried :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxRKWwPWpp8

In fact, I think the Yamaha bass was itself the emulation of old analog basses of that type.

The DX7 clearly sounds more analog...
Those new synths will never sound like the old ones...

Your DAW synth can do lately bass

Isn't the only waveshape that looks "different" basically a Sine at double the speed? Should be doable by tuning one Sine one octave higher or am I mistaken here?

BTW, would love to hear your patches, especially if you made them in one of the free synths

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:39 pm Isn't the only waveshape that looks "different" basically a Sine at double the speed? Should be doable by tuning one Sine one octave higher or am I mistaken here?

BTW, would love to hear your patches, especially if you made them in one of the free synths
I think there is some phase difference in there aswell.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Return to “Instruments”