Hi I am Professional Tom and here's a tutorial of secret EQ techniques. Other producers hate me for showing them to all.

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

thecontrolcentre wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:20 pm ... or do they?
Duvet?? Vey most certainly do :shrug:

Touch The Universe wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:44 pm
ProfessionalTom wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:53 am
Touch The Universe wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:38 am I don't think I'll ever get compression, haha. Not even a sexy woman explaining it will do.

Just use a limiter or transient shaper and I'm done. :D
Are you for real? It's a useful tool, I recommend learning it. As MadDog said, just focus on the threshold and ratio to decrease the signal as much as you want. Look, let's say you have a guitar part consisting of literally only 2 notes (so a complex piece haha). The first note peaks around -10 dBfs and second peaks around -15dBfs. It's 5 dB of difference and if you want to make it less distinguishable then you can set the threshold to the lower amount, -15 dB and set the ratio to, let's say 5. This way the signal that passes above -15 dB will get attenuated 5 times. So after the process your two note guitar part will have -11 and -10 dBfs instead of -15 and -10 so the difference will be nearly indistinguishable.

Is it clearer, now?

Also don't worry, soon my compression video will be out.
Thanks mr professional. Seriously though, for peaks, I just use a limiter. If I want more attack or sustain, I just use a transient shaper. I've NEVER heard a really cool sound resulting from a compressor before and after.
Hmm ok. Whatever suits you hehe.
I'm a professional and you can't deny it. If you do, you either were tricked by the League, or you are from the League.

Ok I'm going to sleep, my fans did not give me no rest after my release! My right hand is in pain cause of all that autographs I've given. (I see the pervert joke potential in what I wrote, but oh well we're sex machines anyway).

I'll get me rest and then I'll come back stronger than ever!
I'm a professional and you can't deny it. If you do, you either were tricked by the League, or you are from the League.

ProfessionalTom wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:49 pm Ok I'm going to sleep, my fans did not give me no rest after my release! My right hand is in pain cause of all that autographs I've given. (I see the pervert joke potential in what I wrote, but oh well we're sex machines anyway).

I'll get me rest and then I'll come back stronger than ever!
Hang on, question coming your way.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

ProfessionalTom wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:53 amlet's say you have a guitar part consisting of literally only 2 notes (so a complex piece haha). The first note peaks around -10 dBfs and second peaks around -15dBfs. It's 5 dB of difference and if you want to make it less distinguishable then you can set the threshold to the lower amount, -15 dB and set the ratio to, let's say 5. This way the signal that passes above -15 dB will get attenuated 5 times. So after the process your two note guitar part will have -11 and -10 dBfs instead of -15 and -10 so the difference will be nearly indistinguishable.
I'm not sure you're right about this :shrug:

If you set the threshold to -15db the second peak at -15db will not be affected at all. The first one at -10db will be, to the ratio of 5:1, therefore the output will be -14db.

BTW, ProfessionalMush video to be released imminently.

vurt wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:26 pm that's what i said, but as a magician :)
i know... was trying to simplify an explanation to maybe be of help :P sometimes layman's terms seem to help over technical jargon... especially for those that don't really have a grasp of what it does. not saying that is the case... just covering bases :) cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

just the names 'compressor' and 'limiter' alone confused me when i first started messing with this stuff and i suspect it does to many. technically the term compression is NOT what it is actually doing. (more or less an auto fader) that is just a rough description and it LOOKS like it compresses when you look at a waveform.
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:54 pm

Dont we have enough professionally released mush around here :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

lol

Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:54 pm
ProfessionalTom wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:53 amlet's say you have a guitar part consisting of literally only 2 notes (so a complex piece haha). The first note peaks around -10 dBfs and second peaks around -15dBfs. It's 5 dB of difference and if you want to make it less distinguishable then you can set the threshold to the lower amount, -15 dB and set the ratio to, let's say 5. This way the signal that passes above -15 dB will get attenuated 5 times. So after the process your two note guitar part will have -11 and -10 dBfs instead of -15 and -10 so the difference will be nearly indistinguishable.
I'm not sure you're right about this :shrug:

If you set the threshold to -15db the second peak at -15db will not be affected at all. The first one at -10db will be, to the ratio of 5:1, therefore the output will be -14db.

The peak at -15 dBfs won't be affected, that's true. But the one at -10 exceeded it by 5dB, so if ratio was 2:1 it would go 2.5dB above it (5/2) if it was 5:1 it would go 1dB above it (5/5).

I just finished recording my secret compression tutorial. I'll be out very soon. I'll probably make a new thread although I'm not sure if I should post this in this forum or "everything else"? What do you think?

ProfessionalTom wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:55 am I just finished recording my secret compression tutorial. I'll be out very soon. I'll probably make a new thread although I'm not sure if I should post this in this forum or "everything else"? What do you think?
This one. Can't wait :tu:

ProfessionalTom wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:55 am I just finished recording my secret compression tutorial. I'll be out very soon. I'll probably make a new thread although I'm not sure if I should post this in this forum or "everything else"? What do you think?
But didn’t I prove you wrong? :shrug: :D

how about not posting...?

Return to “Production Techniques”