Arturia VCollection 7 Official thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
V Collection X

planetearth wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:23 pmI think many people (myself included) are hoping for some Ensoniq emulations, or maybe a relatively early E-MU sampler. Or maybe some early Akai or Kawai synths?
The available Arturia emulations are not that authentic, so no need for new ones here....

Rastkovic wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:27 pm
planetearth wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:23 pmI think many people (myself included) are hoping for some Ensoniq emulations, or maybe a relatively early E-MU sampler. Or maybe some early Akai or Kawai synths?
The available Arturia emulations are not that authentic, so no need for new ones here....
Laughable! For many included me they are authentic enough, please speak only for yourself and respect other opinions. What other need or dont need here isn't your business anyway. Got it?
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

mladi wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:34 pmLaughable! For many included me they are authentic enough, please speak only for yourself and respect other opinions. What other need or dont need here isn't your business anyway. Got it?
Yes, thank you for your comment! You are the best.... :party:

mladi wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:34 pmFor many included me they are authentic enough, please speak only for yourself and respect other opinions.
For sure it's my personal opinion, did i wrote something else?

And yes, it was not my intention to insult your toys....

IMO Arturia instruments sounds often a bit clinical, over-processed and similar. Obviously not everybody's taste.

On the other hand, the single instruments when bought as bundle, cost a fracture of a mature synth coming from the usual suspects developers. Therefore they may sound a bit "cheap". So nothing to complain about.

Rastkovic wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:38 pm
mladi wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:34 pmFor many included me they are authentic enough, please speak only for yourself and respect other opinions.
For sure it's my personal opinion, did i wrote something else?

And yes, it was not my intention to insult your toys....
Okay, i see that i misunderstood your "no need here" as "here" for the forum @ KvR when you obviously meant your studio, homeplace, DAW whatever.. Sorry for the snarky answer then as it was inappropriate from me. :hug:
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

Rastkovic wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:27 pm
I completely agree with you as someone who has played with pretty much all the go to soft synths out there. Arturia always left me feeling underwhelmed when playing them in comparison to hardware synths and other synth libraries. They are however usable, but not really that “full” sounding to me.

Calenberger wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:44 pm IMO Arturia instruments sounds often a bit clinical, over-processed and similar. Obviously not everybody's taste.

On the other hand, the single instruments when bought as bundle, cost a fracture of a mature synth coming from the usual suspects developers. Therefore they may sound a bit "cheap". So nothing to complain about.
Hmm. I dont think I agree with you on this. I never owned the original synths that are in the collections and can't compare, but based on my limited exposure and experience with the synths, I feel the Arturia ones are actual attempts to sound like the real ones - and sometimes at the cost of coming across as weak in the mix and you having to do all sorts of things to compensate.

I can only compare them to the NI Super 8 which is a really cool and powerful sounding synth but does not at all capture the sound and feel of synths of yester year. Its a synth sound that is sort of injected with steroids and comes out really well in a mix, but not the sort of synth you want to use if you want to capture a retro feel.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

i can get the arturia synths quite full sounding, my experience on the opposite, a weaker sound, or whatever you call it, yes not a full sound is not easy to get in my case. i make my own presets, from scratch, and they are full of harmonics, sound powerfull, or nice "thin", when it is necessary (and with thin i do not mean weak, it pierces always through the mix. i must turn the volume knobs of my arturia synths always down, a lot, or else they overwhelm everything.

perhaps it is taste, or the style i work within, my own style... derived of course.. that the SEM or MINI or ARP 2600 or matrix brute delivers sounds that could make a whole track. could, of course not always what you want.

i have no experience with the real hardware, that is my disclaimer. i use the arturia synths as is, to me they a far from clinical, or over-processed. but perhaps i do not hear that, because the sounds i want (that aren't clinical, by the way, more "bizar", and also very "normal" ones......) i can get.

so my contribution here is not a discussion, if someone says they do not sound powerfull, or clinical en over-processed, that is there experience. why is the experience with arturia synths so different for many people? that is the interesting question.

but i love them, in the way, i can make great sounds with them, i used them a lot, really a lot. and i mangle things, yes, but within the synths themselves....

WasteLand wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:16 pm i must turn the volume knobs of my arturia synths always down, a lot, or else they overwhelm everything.
So true. While we are it, I was wondering if there is a way to fix the volume to a lower lever when browsing and testing presets in Analog Lab 4 and Pigments standalone mode. From what I see, there does not seem to be any global volume control and we have to reply on our audio interface volume knob, which I do not really like to touch. Every time to switch a preset, you kinda blow your ears. I also wonder why are they so loud in the first place.

There should be a global/master volume control for both AL4 and Pigments that does not change when changing presets, just like it is there on NI's Komplete Kontrol.

Please correct/help if I am missing anything here.

EDIT: I changed the audio driver from ASIO to Windows Audio, which lowers the volume a lot when using in standalone mode. Also, it's better to control the volume using Windows volume control.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:58 am
WasteLand wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:16 pm i must turn the volume knobs of my arturia synths always down, a lot, or else they overwhelm everything.
So true. While we are it, I was wondering if there is a way to fix the volume to a lower lever when browsing and testing presets in Analog Lab 4 and Pigments standalone mode. From what I see, there does not seem to be any global volume control and we have to reply on our audio interface volume knob, which I do not really like to touch. Every time to switch a preset, you kinda blow your ears. I also wonder why are they so loud in the first place.

There should be a global/master volume control for both AL4 and Pigments that does not change when changing presets, just like it is there on NI's Komplete Kontrol.

EDIT: I changed the audio driver from ASIO to Windows Audio, which lowers the volume a lot when using in standalone mode. Also, it's better to control the volume using Windows volume control.
other soft-synths have the same behavior, too loud... the global volume is stored within the preset with arturia, you can set the pre-gain of channel, when not in stand-alone. when i program them i use cubase, because of i program with.. automap.. hardware feel.. but sometimes i do not set the pre-gain, and wow...

when i use them standalone, mainly on my laptop, i use asio. didn't know that the volume lowers when using windows audio. i have for my laptop most of times, computer speakers, so i set the main volume with a knob. and you have the dedicated volume keys on the laptop itself.

but the loudness of arturia synths is quite different than for example the korg collection, they are not that loud. korg soft-synths, if i recall correctly, i must adjust the volume mostly to "up", for the mix.

i dabbled around with the prophet V, last evening, and even without unison, it can make great, powerfull sounds, rich sounds. but that is my opinion. and yes, turning the volume way down.... or else...

WasteLand wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:56 pm

other soft-synths have the same behavior, too loud... the global volume is stored within the preset with arturia, you can set the pre-gain of channel, when not in stand-alone. when i program them i use cubase, because of i program with.. automap.. hardware feel.. but sometimes i do not set the pre-gain, and wow...

when i use them standalone, mainly on my laptop, i use asio. didn't know that the volume lowers when using windows audio. i have for my laptop most of times, computer speakers, so i set the main volume with a knob. and you have the dedicated volume keys on the laptop itself.

but the loudness of arturia synths is quite different than for example the korg collection, they are not that loud. korg soft-synths, if i recall correctly, i must adjust the volume mostly to "up", for the mix.

i dabbled around with the prophet V, last evening, and even without unison, it can make great, powerfull sounds, rich sounds. but that is my opinion. and yes, turning the volume way down.... or else...
Yeah, it's not a problem when in VST mode. For standalone, I think using Windows audio is the best option for this problem, as I am doing nothing else than auditioning presets when in standalone.

I still haven't got enough time to spend with VC6 and Pigments, but they all sound awesome.

I have been grabbing the sound packs that are on sale.Larry Hopkins, voices ect...

WasteLand wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Interesting. I haven't noticed that the Arturia synths are too loud, but I'll try to listen for that when I create something new with them. Maybe it's only in standalone mode? I almost never use that, so that may be why I don't think I've encountered it.

I have had problems with the Korg softsynths being too quiet. Fortunately, Korg provided a (relatively) quick way to boost the level within the synth. Why they didn't just make them louder in the first place I don't know.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

V5 to V6 was on sale at €99 around this time last year. I am hoping for the same for V6 to v7 in the next couple of weeks.

Return to “Instruments”