UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

HcDoom wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:12 pm When you use Drum Designer in Falcon, can you route for example kick and snare to separate mixer channel in your DAW for further mixing...? I am looking to buy Drum Designer (2nd hand preferably if someone wants to sell) but cant find any info on this.
Yes. Falcon is multitimbral and multi-out

Excellent, thank you!

sircuit wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:43 pm
HcDoom wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:12 pm When you use Drum Designer in Falcon, can you route for example kick and snare to separate mixer channel in your DAW for further mixing...? I am looking to buy Drum Designer (2nd hand preferably if someone wants to sell) but cant find any info on this.
Yes. Falcon is multitimbral and multi-out
HcDoom wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:45 pm Excellent, thank you!
Hold up on that for a second; it needs clarification:

Falcon is Multi-Out, but you can only send a given Part to a single output at a time, and can't send the Keygroups within a Part to separate outputs (which is what I think you're actually asking about).

For example, if you load Drum Designer to a Part, it will only come out of one output.

However, what you CAN do is load up 2 separate instances of Drum Designer within Falcon. Pick a different MIDI channel for each, and then use one Part as Kick/Snare, and one Part as everything else.

Falcon isn't a multi-output sampler like Battery is for instance.

EDIT: I didn't realize Drum Designer came with separate instruments for each type of drum hit. So yes, in that case you could load Kick to one Part, Snare to one Part, etc. You'll be fine.

EDIT 2: I was corrected. Turns out you CAN send Keygroups to different outputs. See below.
Last edited by AJYoung on Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free BassTables for Xfer Serum 1 | 2
2016 Synthmaster Song Contest Winner Presets

Not necessary for Drum Designer but in Falcon you can actually send two keygroups to different output. See List view and right click the keygroup column view header to display Output column and change it.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

otristan wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:20 am Not necessary for Drum Designer but in Falcon you can actually send two keygroups to different output. See List view and right click the keygroup column view header to display Output column and change it.
Oh so you can! That's awesome, thank you. Looked everywhere for this, but couldn't figure it out. Didn't realize it was hidden by default.
Free BassTables for Xfer Serum 1 | 2
2016 Synthmaster Song Contest Winner Presets

What does falcon offer to someone who owns komplete for example?

it seems that every type of synthesis is weaker than the NI counterpart, for example the Fm8 is 10 times better than the fm engine in falcon, also massive X has better filters and more phase distortion algorithms that the wavetable oscillators in falcon, and the fact that you can not modulate between oscillators like in phaseplant just makes falcon look like a simplified and self contained version of komplete where you can stack sounds and layer them but if you already own Ableton Live this is already possible in quite a similar manner or am I missing something here? can someone help me please.

I hate the fact that there isn't a demo although falcon is using ilok already which is horrible in the first place, also it seems that there is low amount of videos online, the only ones I've found useful are the Dan Worrall videos which are excellent but judging a synths value that way is really difficult as you can get the feel of using the software that way and there still some questions unanswered.

Lucastyle wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:31 pm What does falcon offer to someone who owns komplete for example?
It can offer a unified interface, a different set of sounds and a alternate paradigm in sound design thought. Is that enough? only you can decide.

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
Lucastyle wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:31 pm the fact that you can not modulate between oscillators like in phaseplant
Haven’t used phaseplant (plan to in the near(ish) future) so I’m not clear on how it performs but I can modulate between oscillators in Falcon. Easy

Lucastyle wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:31 pm What does falcon offer to someone who owns komplete for example?
A GUI you can actually see on a 4K monitor? :lol:

Flacon is a workstation- modern self contained workflow and with the superb UVI libraries it could be all you would ever need.

Do you need it if you own Komplete? Only you can answer that.....but in my opinion it is far simpler to use Flacon if you want to have very complicated, layered patches (which is what Falcon does well)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Let's go!!! :party: :phones: :hyper:

Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Dillinger, are you a bot or are you hitting the computer keyboard with you head?

SLiC wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:37 pm
A GUI you can actually see on a 4K monitor? :lol:

Flacon is a workstation- modern self contained workflow and with the superb UVI libraries it could be all you would ever need.

Do you need it if you own Komplete? Only you can answer that.....but in my opinion it is far simpler to use Flacon if you want to have very complicated, layered patches (which is what Falcon does well)
For 240E you are getting:

9 forms of synthesis including VA, wavetable, phase distortion, FM, additive and physical modelling.

Sampler with individual manipulation of time and pitch algorithms per sample as well as granular slicing. The sampling side includes a proper sample editor with cropping, fades, reverse and effect bouncing.

You can have up to 16 oscillators running together with any combination of the 9 forms of synthesis and sampling.

90 exceptional FX (including sparkverb, thorus etc) with mixer, sends, serial or parallel and multi-band processing etc.

8 filters including all the usual stuff plus Comb, Crossover, Sallen Key, Formant, Vowel etc.

9 complex modulation generators with all sorts of envelope types and LFOs on individual sounds or the layers of sounds (this is what makes it so much easier than working with separate instruments and a DAW for automation/modulation)

Events section which are like crazy MIDI controllers that can strum, arpeggiate, micro tune, drum machines, Euclidian eurorack like machines!....

Oh....and you get over 1000 really top draw presets including MPE presets….

Again- all that for 240E /$ ....with 2 free sound expansions (which are also excellent!)

I have Komplete Ultimate, If I could only have Ultimate or Falcon, I would choose Falcon....
Last edited by SLiC on Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Lol, I won the jackpot of double posts.

I do take a little issue with the modulators in things like Kontakt/Falcon/Bitwig etc. that involve 127 notches because in music notches aren't 12 tone scales and the notch sequencing makes no sense at all for anything but quasi random music unless you quantize the notch sequences and then edit to taste if needed. Note based step input is a must and I do say that Reason 10/11 and previous to those has many modules including one's with 16-32 note pattern switching and note step recording. It's known that the plugin company HY-Plugins produces the best current Euclidean sequence on the market for computers.

GUI you can actually see on a 4K monitor? :lol:

I work on a laptop so I don't really see much difference in the GUI, but that is a fair point, but im guessing NI will make their plugins scalable it's just a matter of time and patience.

The UVI libraries are a mix bag, some are good but some are just plain lame, I was testing the Roland Cloud D50 and comparing it to the UVI D50 library and the UVI one just sucks, and on the UVI workstation you don't have any control over the sound at all, I can't seem to find how different is the level of control of these libraries on the falcon platform but the baseline samples suck compared to the Rolan Cloud.

Judging by the demo the Moog's model D also sound boring, I rather buy Synapses the legend and save some hard drive space and have all the flexibility to tweak each parameter to taste.

Dillinger wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:22 pmHaven’t used phaseplant (plan to in the near(ish) future) so I’m not clear on how it performs but I can modulate between oscillators in Falcon. Easy
You cannot modulate an oscillator WITH another oscillator, at all, in Falcon. In Phaseplant, you can.
SLiC wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:46 pmYou can have up to 16 oscillators running together with any combination of the 9 forms of synthesis and sampling.
Actually the number of oscillators per keygroup is unlimited, or rather, limited by your CPU. 16 is not the max.

Return to “Instruments”