One Synth Challenge #128: OB-Xd from discoDSP (mmGhost wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here we go
https://soundcloud.com/reusenoise/reuse ... r-crompton

Daw:Reaper
OBxd X9
Sanford reverb
Hy delay 3 free
A1 Trigger gate
Grev delay
G delay
DD delay
DD reverb
Master section
Tube saturator vintage
Rea EQ
Event Horizont js
12 years old PC running :Reaper;Reason;Dune;Zampler;Kontakr;Reaktor;and many others countless vst :D

Re: Peter and Taron's last posts: I just watched this video by Tantacrul last night, and it really messed with my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIxY_Y9TGWI

I constantly find myself at a confusing cross-point between all of these arguments. Luckily I don't cringe at any kind of music, but pop charts through the ages generally bore me. My listening habits are, I think most would agree, esoteric.

And yet I'm strangely fascinated by the simplistic non-music that Tantacrul is talking about - virtually the stripped-down, Platonic ideal of Peter's "awesomes 4 chord songs" - and I'm equally fascinated in historical and contemporary terms. I really enjoy creating approximations of it... and (gasp) frequently enjoy it as a listener alongside some of the brainiest stuff on this side of Boulez. Well, some of it - I'm not crazy about the ukulele and whistle version.

I think old KPM libraries and music from 1980s corporate videos in many ways tell us more about its time than the pop music from the same era that it vaguely tries to emulate. And it also strikes me, unlike Tantacrul, as being one of the most honest kinds of musical expression. Its ambition is 100% unambiguous. It also regularly displays the latest music technology in a matter-of-factly, workmanlike and utterly un-Jarre'ish way. Which I find sort of charming.

Of course, Tantacrul could be hinting at a more policial view about the role that music plays in the systemic brainwashing of the common man - a charge that I suppose could be made as easily against the pop industry, like a modern version of Marie Antoinette's old (mis)quote - let them eat POP! I don't know, I probably might well agree with him in politics and in how we regard multinational corporations. But I would still enjoy pulling a Karl Jenkins/Adiemus - even in a world without Shell or Starbucks. Or Delta Airlines, as it were.

I giggled my way through the video. But underneath the "a-ha-ha, that's spot-on!" surface, it's a hopelessly elitist, cherry-picking enterprise that says absolutely nothing about what might be a better way. And I don't like his or, I think, Peter's (forgive me if I'm wrong), takes, in that they appear to regard their own truths as gospel to the degree that everyone else comes off as mindless sheep.

(which, full disclosure, I totally do myself - both in regards to Brexiters, Trumpsters, hipsters, Max Martin enthusiasts and any kind of fierce but one-dimensional advocate on any issue - but I mostly keep it to myself because it isn't helpful in any way - which I suppose is more to the point.)
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Oh my god... :lol: ...that's a fun video! Thanks for sharing, T! :tu:
I kinda have to think of Philip Glass during this, though, he sorta managed to make it work. :shrug:
...but (HAHAHAHA, pestilential melody??? HAHAHAHA! Shit..I'm so scared this could apply to my stuff?!? :oops: ) ...but it can't be that bad AND I literally put my joy into it, anyway. Video is still awesome, even if it makes anyone watching it feel like a smartass with the occasional bursts of pain.
Makes me wonder about whether that's the biggest scare of A.I. in music, a sort of statistical approach regarding harmonies and their progression combined with natural human response and so on. One can't help but acknowledge the effect those tracks have on oneself. It is a little "rapey" in a way...making up words and such. :scared:

You're welcome, Taron! And yeah, it's easy to become a little concerned about how this relates to our own music. I'm pretty shallow, so I should be concerned :D
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

It kind of rattles cages for sure! :hihi: ...mine is mildly rattled and I'm totally compelled to venture out of my box more than usual. But we shall see! At the end, to me, it's all about enjoying the process and allowing it to take me where ever it takes me. :shrug: However, the video is deeply evil, of course, because it creates uncertainty even in those, who have no reason to doubt their intention, simply out of fear that it creates doubt in others about those intentions. :scared: :tantrum: And thus it carves away honesty out of the light heart.

A composer I used work with from time to time had a classical music background, but made his living only composing music for marketing, muzak, etc...
Even the music he composed for himself was insanely tedious.

He could not tolerate any blue notes of any kind. It would drive him crazy.
When listen to other music he would always point out the notes he felt were sharp or flat with disdain, as if it were a mistake and needs fixing.

He considered microtonal music of any kind as garbage.
I use to play him all kinds of alternative music styles to inspire or get him thinking.
It would just annoy him.

Having that kind of strict musical preference seemed to work OK for his career, but nobody took him serious as a composer except advertising execs.

Imagine the face of a classical music "snob" when I played them David Vorhouse White Noise albums!

Also took a similar pair of friends to a Tangerine Dream concert in York Minster in 1975! They were amazed, to say the least. Not converted, but they were now at least open to listen to alternative music and composition "techniques"! Fab show too!! Got a bootleg CD of it!

dB

Part of why I was putting Microtuning into Lord of the Springs was because I'm excited about exploring more "natural" music, trying to feel frequencies and their harmonic relationships outside of rigid, contemporary tuning. But because it is so unconventional that one has to break all kinds of technical molds to really explore freely in that direction within the realm of DAWs for example, it's often just a bit too tedious to really dive into, unless there was enough time and enthusiasm to begin with.
For me, the nature of "blue notes" is when you can sense that the "composer" did not only not know what they were doing, but also that it does not communicate a coherent message. Extremely similar to using a wrong word rather than misspelling the right one, you know. Therefore a "blue note" to me is a sign for somebody either not caring to communicate anything or not being ready to communicate properly, which could even feel like a sense of disrespect, be that out of carelessness, ignorance or general lack of maturity, so to say.
But there are very intentional licks outside conventional scales, deliberate leaps to break expected appearances in order to puzzle together a different mosaic. Often this sorta suggests "jazziness"...which is to say:"If you don't know what it is, it's Jazz!", hahaha. :hihi: :ud:
It's risky, because people sometimes either aren't ready to listen for the message behind the madness, hehe, or they can't understand it at all, which very well includes the possibility of having said something that can't be understood by anyone else. I sure have had my moments, hahaha. :oops:
Anyway, fantastic topic!!! :hyper:

I do remember listening and recording a fun little gig (maybe 20 of us there!) with Henry Cow. Some really off the planet stuff. But very cool! Days before stereo rigs, so he used two rigs and then used 2 volume pedals to create a stereo effect!

dB

I used work a lot with many of the later Henry Cow gang from across the ocean. Fred Frith, Zeena Parkins and many others lived in my neighborhood.

Fred was on his own at the time … played for us, the "York Musicians Coop", a small group of folk interested in seeing and talking with like minded musos way back when! I made 2 track recordings of most of the (very small) gigs in small smokey rooms in a pub somewhere! Sadly, tapes now all long gone. But the memories are still with me and a certain amount of musical "influence"!

York, as in the "real/orginal" York!

dB

Just tried to listen to some Henry Cow, but...it's a wee bit beyond my tolerance levels for some reason. I can see how this had its place at some point, though. It's however always nice to explore other types of music and musicians as long as one still has the power to escape, hahaha. I'd complete hate to be stuck in a concert of that kind... :bang:
On the other hand, I do love prog rock, yet, likely couldn't hang on for a whole gig either, I'm afraid. Very few bands I could listen to for any extended amount of time, really. Even then it would have to be the perfect mood for it.

I get ya T, and respect your opinion. Experimental music is not for everyone (many???). I lived through the prog rock era, and enjoyed it a lot. Saw many of the big bands live …

Try David Vorhouse in his White Noise times for other stuff still lurking in my record collection!!! I won't link it as google is your friend (fiend!)

dB

Sorry guys, didn't want to start a philosophic discussion. Everybody should go with whatever she/he likes. It's just that "music" is different for everybody. May be it's just I'm on holiday and reasoning about anything and nothing at the same time ... found again bruce gilbert https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IFzAjP9XIPw and rene halkett https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rcIBU4e1Ia8. The first one will not count as music for many, but I like the mantric, brain dead repetitive way of instant shed because it slows me down... it does not require my attention but still grabs my attention. it get's me in a meditative mood ... and that's what I find in music ... But there's other modes I like to listen to music, that was when I was a bit younger and enjoyed hocico style music in the clubs ... some say that is music as well.
The next point is that I really cannot stand most current music and the heavy rotation anymore. I urgently tries to grab my attention with max martin kind of bs which I cannot stsnd anymore. What does this have to do with OSC? I think nothing. It's just my take on music and my wish to get more experimental stuff ... I bet some krell patches and more "instant shed" is coming soon ;-)

Cheers from the beautiful island of Madeira
] P:H [

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:30 pm Sorry guys, didn't want to start a philosophic discussion. Everybody should go with whatever she/he likes. It's just that "music" is different for everybody. May be it's just I'm on holiday and reasoning about anything and nothing at the same time ... found again bruce gilbert https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IFzAjP9XIPw and rene halkett https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rcIBU4e1Ia8. The first one will not count as music for many, but I like the mantric, brain dead repetitive way of instant shed because it slows me down... it does not require my attention but still grabs my attention. it get's me in a meditative mood ... and that's what I find in music ... But there's other modes I like to listen to music, that was when I was a bit younger and enjoyed hocico style music in the clubs ... some say that is music as well.
The next point is that I really cannot stand most current music and the heavy rotation anymore. I urgently tries to grab my attention with max martin kind of bs which I cannot stsnd anymore. What does this have to do with OSC? I think nothing. It's just my take on music and my wish to get more experimental stuff ... I bet some krell patches and more "instant shed" is coming soon ;-)

Cheers from the beautiful island of Madeira
] P:H [
That brilliant Bruce Gilbert piece brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing Peter. I think you'd love John Cage's 4′33″. Very inspirational. It was the reason I wanted to make music.

Return to “Instruments”