piano cut through the mix

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everybody,

could you advice me a piano sound (preset) who cut through the mix ?

thanks
Vintage74

Any details?

To me piano is the instrument which always cuts through the mix.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

If the existing fix is too dense then it may be difficult to get the full range of a piano to cut through. Could be an issue that can be solved with some additional EQ.

EQ boost in the 2k area is the "aggression zone" and 3 is where human hearing is sensitive.
you could also use a second layer of another piano sound and cut all the lows out and get just the areas that have that impactful cutting timbre then gradually blending it in with the original piano till it "cuts-through"
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

To let a piano cut through the mix:

1. Start with just the piano sound. Any piano, solo. If this does not sound like the piano you want then change it now. Either with effects (eq, comp, reverb, etc) or pick another preset / synth / lib.
2. Add one other instrument in the mix. Make sure there's room for the piano to still cut through. Both in timing and in spectrum. Especially if you add stuff occupying the same space, it will mask it. Maybe add a bit of room for your piano, eg cut with eq a bit of midrange away.
3. Repeat step 2 for the other instruments, until you cannot add something without masking the piano.

Maybe sounds like a lot of work, but this is essentially how to mix. Start with what's important, and add without obscuring the important things.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Return to “Sound Design”