One Synth Challenge #128: OB-Xd from discoDSP (mmGhost wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Listening to David Vorhaus's White Noise III right now. It makes me smile from ear to ear, feeling his pure enthusiasm and excitement to just make things happen, let things happen and play with it. It's like there's virtually nothing that could hold him back. Super-organic, of course. It's fun to listen to, because there's nothing you could really expect...it's like a voyage of sorts. Totally 70's, of course and some rather known motives through-out, but so many crazy elements. And the sound exploration itself, haha, man... if you don't feel his intense passion, you're not a sound designer, that's for sure. Fun!
Thanks, Rob! :tu:

Here's a salad of ideas that the past several posts made me think:

Say what you will, but I liked that Bruce Gilbert piece. Also, John Cage is a major inspiration for me. The single most interesting musical experience I have had was applauding a performance of 4'33". I recommend that experience to everyone. Also, don't pass up a chance to seriously perform something by John Cage.

I find The Lake Radio (online) to be a good source of interesting and widely varied music and sound, from Vorhaus to Cage to NASA Space Recordings to spoken word.
I'll definitely check out White Noise in the coming days.

I was on a bit of a Drone kick when I started my entry for this month, although I eventually settled out into my "usual" style as I went on. What is worse, a 4 chord song or a 1 chord song? I ended up with a bit of both.
The piece also has some microtuning elements; You'll have to listen to pick them out. If you can't detect them, then I believe my work is complete. If you can, I'd love to know what you think.
mostly here for the One Synth Challenge
you can hear some of my newest music at: https://wrenharmonic.bandcamp.com/ or https://www.youtube.com/@wrenharmonic

Here is my OB-Xd piece. It was fun - the third time I've had the chance to use this in OSC, and it definitely brings back the good old days of the Obx-a hardware. The filters have a unique and lovely sound, so I went for something a little different - and hopefully enjoyable!

33 instances of OB-Xd - all sounds from init
Logic Pro X - reverbs, EQ, delay, compressors
ADHD free Leveling Tool
OTT (only on kick)
Mastering chain - Linear EQ, Exciter, Nova, Logic Multipressor, Logic Adaptive Limiter, SPAN

Revised mix 10/26
https://soundcloud.com/ontrackp/ontrack ... oking-back
Last edited by ontrackp on Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Here my attempt this month with OBxD,
Craploadsa f' ecks

https://soundcloud.com/eauson/eauson-ob ... sp-kvr-osc

34 OBxD

Airwindows Console6buss,Console6channel totape5,overtone,mojo,interstage,transdesk,surgetide,pyewacket,buttercomp,distance, monitoring,MV,tapedelay, purestecho Air, purest gain,lowpass 2,wider
Bark of the dog
Miamuscle
Dominion
Bittersweet
Dynomod
Soneq
Ferox
Space360
Fetish
Transpire
ReaEq
Dc1a2
A1Stereocontrol& triggergate
Dragonfly reverb hall
TDR VOS
Loudmax
Multianalyzer
Youlean
Dimension plus
Seven delay
TDR nova
minus delay
Chordz
Border
Transient
Tal rev 3 & tal dub2
Cocao delay
Last edited by Eauson on Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Leonard Bowman wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:02 pm Here's a salad of ideas that the past several posts made me think:

Say what you will, but I liked that Bruce Gilbert piece. Also, John Cage is a major inspiration for me. The single most interesting musical experience I have had was applauding a performance of 4'33". I recommend that experience to everyone. Also, don't pass up a chance to seriously perform something by John Cage.
Leonard: I have fond memories of attending a day of celebration and meeting John Cage in the 80s. He was a wonderful peaceful soul. At the end of the evening there was a performance of his Theater Piece. I've read about this piece and seeing it live lived up to my expectations. At the peak of the chaos in the piece, I wanted to see what John Cage was doing. He was sitting two rows behind me. I looked and he was sleeping. It was just a perfect moment.

FrankH wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:16 amAt the peak of the chaos in the piece, I wanted to see what John Cage was doing. He was sitting two rows behind me. I looked and he was sleeping.
LOL! It just boggles the mind that he is so well known, and yet prolific composers who have graced the OSC with their creations such as Jasinski, Taron, bzur, IrionDaRonin and plenty of others are not. I for one, won't stand for it! I'm going to make a bot network to call every person in the US and tell them their life is not complete without listening to these people!

hi,
I have decided to entry no submission for OSC more. I see no sense to participation in a one synth challenge, where everyone (honore to exceptions) use 30 or more instances of one synth and 30 or more effects for mastering and sound modify. I know, so are the rules, maybe the name of this challenge should be "experiments with one synth", I don't know, I have excited something different. I wish you luck and will make a different kind of music. maybe we can spoke in an another thread about it.
Last edited by basa333 on Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

z.prime: :hug:

FrankH wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:16 am ... I looked and he was sleeping. It was just a perfect moment.
I used to do a lot more atmospheric/ambient stuff than I do now.
It got to where it would to put me to sleep, or make me feel too relaxed and was difficult to complete.

Now any atmospheric stuff I do tends to be edgy/abrasive, so I can stay awake.

mclstr wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:33 am
FrankH wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:16 am ... I looked and he was sleeping. It was just a perfect moment.
I used to do a lot more atmospheric/ambient stuff than I do now.
It got to where it would to put me to sleep, or make me feel too relaxed and was difficult to complete.

Now any atmospheric stuff I do tends to be edgy/abrasive, so I can stay awake.
I agree you need to throw some spice in there. There are many ways of doing ambient with interest. I had a band a while back, our motto was Ridiculous Jazz and Logical Thrash.

Here's mine, not my favorite synth so I went into weird Halloween ambient territory. Arrangement is monotonic on purpose so I don't need feedback on that ;)

https://soundcloud.com/ilmai/one-synth- ... -128-spook

Made in Bitwig 3
4x OB-Xd

Bitwig FX used:
1x Bitwig Delay-4
A bunch of modulators

3rd Party VSTs:
1x Lagrange Delay (in delay mode, not phaser or flanger)
1x NastyDLA MK2
1x Tal-Reverb 4
1x Sonic Anomaly Unlimited

This is my entry for the OSC #128. Sadly had to skip OSC #127 due to day job and some other activities. This time I had like 1/4 of progressive house track finished, but canceled that and tried to produce something synthwavish.

https://soundcloud.com/mrkarolus/orbital-debris-osc-128

Mixing:

OB-Xd x 29
A1TriggerGate x 1
BitterSweet x 5
bx_subfilter x 2
CamelCrusher (only compression part) x 1
Convology XT x 1
DD Delay x 1
Ferric TDS x 4
IVGI x 3
LoudMax x 3
Marvel GEQ x 1
MAutopan x 5
MCompressor x 8
OrilRiver x 16
OTT x 14
ReaEQ x 26
JS Saturation x 6
Spaceship Delay x 2
Stereo Touch x 4
Supercharger x 3
Transient (sleepy-time records) x 1
Volume/Pan Smoother v5 x 4
Wider (infected mushroom) x 4

Mastering:

Volume/Pan Smoother
DD filter
ReaComp
SonEQ
JS Saturation
Ozone Imager
LimiterNo6

A little dub techno jam with the OBXD:

https://soundcloud.com/free3official/fr ... ge/s-CTMUd

I Used 6 instances of OB-XD:
- Kick Drum
> Unlimited, Fruity WaveShaper (subtle), Maximus Multiband Compression, EQ to achieve somewhat consistent sub level
- Low Toms
> Unlimited, EQ, Fruity Limiter (Compression)
- HiHats
> EQ, Fruity Delay 3
- Noise FX
> EQ, Fruity Limiter (Compression)
- Chords
> EQ, Fruity Delay Bank, Maximus multiband, Fruity Limiter (Sidechain from Kick)
- Pad
> EQ, Leet Delay, Fruity Limiter (Sidechain from Kick)

Further FX include a Reverb send with "Ambient Reverb" on it, and on the master EQ, Maximus and Unlimited.

Here "EQ" refers to FL Studio's "Fruity Parametric EQ 2". "Unlimited" is a free true peak limiter by Sonic Anomaly (I highly recommend it).
Last edited by Free3 on Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hello Free3. Nice track :tu: .

I have seen that you have used some FX plugins that are not freeware (AudioThing Outer Space and D16Group Repeater), as established by the rules:
Effects - what is allowed:
- Most Native DAW effects may be used (see below for what NOT to use)

- Most 3rd party plugin effects are allowed (Again, see below for what NOT to use):
3rd party effects must be easily available freeware: this does not include plug-in betas, demos, magware or freeware that has expired, unless a special exception is made that month.

- Distortion: Please use distortion / tape saturation / bit crushing sparingly. Use your best judgement. Try to keep the original sound recognizable. Note that this does not apply if the distortion is built in to the synth.

- ANY Built-in effects native to the plug-in itself may be used. (So built in chorus / modulation / heavy overdrive / etc is allowed)

- Midi plugins are allowed, or sending midi from one Daw to another.
I don`t know if AudioThing Outer Space and D16Group Repeater are native in your DAW. If not, you have to find freeware FXs to replace those.

L-EctroBit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:12 pm Hello Free3. Nice track :tu: .

I have seen that you have used some FX plugins that are not freeware (AudioThing Outer Space and D16Group Repeater), as established by the rules
Woops, I forgot about that rule! Will swap them out for some free delay plugins and edit my post!

Return to “Instruments”