Ableton is everywhere...

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
jonljacobi
KVRian
1224 posts since 16 Jan, 2013 from USA

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:00 am

"Yeah, poor piano roll."

The piano roll works fine for me. It's not particularly beautiful, but what exactly do you want to do that you can't?

User avatar
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
24939 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Re: Ableton is everywhere...

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:04 am

jonljacobi wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:00 am
"Yeah, poor piano roll."

The piano roll works fine for me. It's not particularly beautiful, but what exactly do you want to do that you can't?
Yep. Me too ... never had an issue with it.

User avatar
Forgotten
KVRAF
5044 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: Ableton is everywhere...

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:09 am

I’m surprised at how often piano roll comes up as a criticism of Live. It works fine for me, and I’m not sure why it’s considered so deficient in functionality by some...

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
53175 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Ableton is everywhere...

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:20 am

since i got this kitten ive seen less ableton around the house. could also be they're going in to hibernation.

User avatar
Muied Lumens
KVRist
59 posts since 18 Jan, 2017

Re: Ableton is everywhere...

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:24 am

They don't hibernate as such, but in the winter become unableton live.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
53175 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Ableton is everywhere...

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:29 am

:lol:

pottering
KVRian
762 posts since 14 Dec, 2014

Re: Ableton is everywhere...

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:57 am

Forgotten wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:09 am
I’m surprised at how often piano roll comes up as a criticism of Live. It works fine for me, and I’m not sure why it’s considered so deficient in functionality by some...
It is the fallacy of picking the different best features of ALL DAWs (past DAWs too) to shit on a SINGLE DAW.

They join the best features of the piano roll of several DAWs (FL is the main one, but they also join it with stuff like arranger and chord tracks, expression maps, etc. from other DAWs) then compare that super piano roll that doesn't actually exist to Live's piano roll, to "prove" it is "poor".

reggie1979
KVRAF
1825 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Re: Ableton is everywhere...

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:50 am

I think piano rolls are all in need of a re-work. I mean, they work fine in virtually any host but there is always some annoyance regardless of host that bugs me. Oh well, I use Reason and it's ... ok. Live's PR was fine when I used it.

People go on and on about FL studios PR and that is the program I like the least :shrug:

Everyone is different.

reggie1979
KVRAF
1825 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Re: Ableton is everywhere...

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:51 am

BTW, kinda OT, but does Live have midi chase now? That is something I think EVERY host should have.

keel
KVRian
777 posts since 27 Oct, 2004 from Inside the kick drum

Re: Ableton is everywhere...

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:57 am

reggie1979 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:51 am
BTW, kinda OT, but does Live have midi chase now? That is something I think EVERY host should have.
Yes, it has. They added it on Live 10. And yeah, every host should have one. I guess Reason, Bitwig and Mutools are only one which doesn't have it yet.

elxsound
KVRAF
5334 posts since 18 Aug, 2007 from NYC

Re: Ableton is everywhere...

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:59 am

reggie1979 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:51 am
BTW, kinda OT, but does Live have midi chase now? That is something I think EVERY host should have.
Yup. Added with L10

reggie1979
KVRAF
1825 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Re: Ableton is everywhere...

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:04 am

Thanks guys.

elxsound
KVRAF
5334 posts since 18 Aug, 2007 from NYC

Re: Ableton is everywhere...

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:04 am

reggie1979 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:50 am
I think piano rolls are all in need of a re-work. I mean, they work fine in virtually any host but there is always some annoyance regardless of host that bugs me. Oh well, I use Reason and it's ... ok. Live's PR was fine when I used it.

People go on and on about FL studios PR and that is the program I like the least :shrug:

Everyone is different.
They’re all amazing and they’re all shit. Simultaneously.

Seriously.

reggie1979
KVRAF
1825 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Re: Ableton is everywhere...

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:07 am

That's kinda true. But Imho they have gotten MUCH better in recent years. I can remember the days when I did was fight stability issue. I think x64 is a big part, before that there was nowhere for the ram to go so if you used heavier ram projects they'd just go bonkers. And at least for doze, it's gotten a LOT better. I dunno about mac.

User avatar
Calenberger
KVRist
268 posts since 8 Sep, 2019 from Calenberg

Re: Ableton is everywhere...

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:46 am

What exactly is this ABLETONE and why should I care about it?
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua.
At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”