Is macOS Catalina A Step Forward Against Software Piracy?

DSP, Plug-in and Host development discussion.
Zaphod (giancarlo)
KVRAF
2498 posts since 23 Jun, 2006

Post Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:08 pm

Quoted, every single word
And
5) at the very beginning, apps with relaxed entitlements will run unsigned plugins, with all possible evil things inside

6) enforced the entitlements, weaker protections will be easier to exploit, increasing the fun. A lot of crackers will migrate to the apple platform. And they will crack literally everything and faster, because used to it

7) developers will be moved later to the 70-30 model. A lot of software will cease to exist (yes we are speaking about 99 dollars here, but the real issue is the 30% to apple for a medium sized software company)

8 ) the model will be extended to plugin bundles

9) a perfect Mac OS-iOS closed system will be released, based on arm, metal, and basically it will be read only. Meanwhile, someone will jailbreak it and most of users will run this exact version. But they will boot Windows, since the most important apps are finally there.

10) iOS will be the be Mac OS.

Richard_Synapse
KVRian
948 posts since 20 Dec, 2010

Re: Is macOS Catalina A Step Forward Against Software Piracy?

Post Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:57 am

About 3) and 4), Apple could easily get rid of this in any OS X maintenance update though. This would degrade those efforts and turn cracks into short-lived demo versions.

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Markus Krause
KVRist
223 posts since 2 Jul, 2018

Post Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:42 am

agreed. And this is good for us devs.

3 and 4 will be also used for signing trojans. As soon as it gets blacklisted the hackers will create another account, resign their stuff and the cat & mouse game will restart
Tone2 Audiosoftware https://www.tone2.com

MacGyver
KVRist
40 posts since 19 Apr, 2017

Post Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:56 am

Isn't it even possible to disable SIP straight within the installers terminal? If SIP is disabled, then notarization is disabled, too. So then you can again run anything, at least as I understand it. Or is this nonsense?

Zaphod (giancarlo)
KVRAF

Post Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:00 pm

To my knowledge sip is restarted again at each startup

Angus_FX
KVRAF
4697 posts since 18 Jul, 2002 from London, UK

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:46 am

For plug-ins: this won't protect against piracy, because the signature checks are (for now) only run against software which has the "quarantine bit" set. This bit is set on all software downloaded from the web for example, but can easily be removed with a command-line tool. Once the quarantine bit is removed, the system will treat the plug-in as safe/valid regardless of whether it is or not, and won't perform signature checks.

For installers: the default behaviour offers some minimal protection (in that an unverified, quarantined installer won't run, or will require a rightclick-open to run).. but a simple command-line script tool can again be run to remove the quarantine bit. As such, anyone with enough technical know-how to run a torrent client can probably work around it.

Avid's implementation where the signatures are routinely checked (at some cost to performance) is a bit more robust. There are still various ways a pirate could circumvent them - it's very possible for someone with admin access to the system who knows what they're doing to inject unsigned code at runtime and bypass the checks - but I don't know if these have been exploited in the wild (or if it's easier for pirates to simply remove the signature-checking code from Pro Tools itself).
ROLI | FXpansion
FX Twitter | FX YouTube

MacGyver
KVRist
40 posts since 19 Apr, 2017

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:02 am

Zaphod (giancarlo) wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:00 pm
Not here, but I am stuck with High Sierra, since Apple dropped support for all modern nvidia gpus since Mojave. AFAIK that did not change in later versions, at least for hackintoshers. But I do not know exactly.

Zaphod (giancarlo)
KVRAF

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:20 am

MacGyver wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:02 am
Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:00 pm
Not here, but I am stuck with High Sierra, since Apple dropped support for all modern nvidia gpus since Mojave. AFAIK that did not change in later versions, at least for hackintoshers. But I do not know exactly.
I mean in Catalina

Haptix
KVRist
55 posts since 18 Oct, 2019

Post Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:27 am

Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:08 pm

9) a perfect Mac OS-iOS closed system will be released, based on arm, metal, and basically it will be read only. Meanwhile, someone will jailbreak it and most of users will run this exact version. But they will boot Windows, since the most important apps are finally there.
This starts to make sense now :lol:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ap ... t.2206978/
{"panic_string":"BAD MAGIC! :shrug: (flag set in iBoot panic header), no macOS panic log available"} "Apple did not respond to a request for comment."

hivkorn
KVRAF
3133 posts since 6 Sep, 2007 from France

Post Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:59 am

U-he suffer of piracy ?!
I believe their licence protection (time bomb)was not cracked yet !

Return to “DSP and Plug-in Development”