Coming Soon: Izotope Ozone 9

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
User avatar
dionenoid
KVRist
429 posts since 3 Jan, 2019 from Holland

Post Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:48 pm

Fleer wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:41 pm
Calenberger wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:07 am
https://youtu.be/r_mNwdio4Aw
“Cringe video” was my instant reaction when I first heard this Snake Oil guy’s Dutch voice, but after a few vids I’m kind of happy he does these “Snake Oil Or Not” reviews and I now hope he continues to.
I'm annoyed by his accent too, and i'm Dutch :)

But yeah, love his vids. I don't know what's more funny tho : his way of "reviewing", or the reactions of morons all over the net that wish they have the experience this guy has in mixing and mastering.

Btw : His other (serious) vids are very good. Educational stuff. They don't get as much attention as his snake-oil vids tho, maybe because they're not funny, ironic or controversial.
More BPM please

User avatar
EnochLight
KVRian
1487 posts since 21 Mar, 2012 from your mom

Re: Coming Soon: Izotope Ozone 9

Post Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:03 pm

Lucastyle wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:29 pm
I think Izotope lost their focus in the development of their plug ins while feeling the pressure from developers like fabfilter, its trying to appeal to the inexperienced with features like "AI" for automixing and other kind of amateur gimmicks, while triyng to offer serious quality for seasoned professionals.

Making their plug ins do less instead of offering more features while making it simpler to achieve them, and also charged us more for it at same time.

There was a time were izotope was a essential tool but now they just stretched them selfs thin, Maybe Rx its their best offering now but nectar, ozone and neutron seem kind of average when compared to other developers offerings.
Counterpoint: iZotope is catering to both bedroom producers (which is the vast majority of peeps here at KVR) as well as seasoned professionals. In fact, I'd wager that "seasoned professionals" will appreciate the tools that iZotope offers in Ozone 9, because in a serious professional environment, it shaves valuable time off of getting things started.
dionenoid wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:48 pm
I'm annoyed by his accent too, and i'm Dutch :)

But yeah, love his vids. I don't know what's more funny tho : his way of "reviewing", or the reactions of morons all over the net that wish they have the experience this guy has in mixing and mastering.
But this guy is in fact, himself, a moron. He has no more experience mixing and mastering than the vast majority of peeps here at KVR. He's a bedroom producer making YouTube videos for pay clicks. He has zero published work under his belt that's charting. Unless I'm missing something?

I mean, give people credit where credit is due. If it was Pensado's Place (Gaurav Dayal) I might give it my attention. Shit, even Andrew Huang puts out more valuable opinion pieces than this guy, IMHO.
Win 10 | Reason 11 | Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland System 1 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
Fleer
KVRAF
4592 posts since 23 Aug, 2014 from Boston/Cambridge

Re: Coming Soon: Izotope Ozone 9

Post Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:50 pm

Lucastyle wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:29 pm
Im wondering who really thinks master rebalance is a good feature ...
Maybe Rx is their best offering now but nectar, ozone and neutron seem kind of average when compared to other developers offerings.
Master Rebalance in Ozone 9 is a sibling of Music Rebalance in RX7.

jochicago
KVRian
693 posts since 26 Feb, 2018

Re: Coming Soon: Izotope Ozone 9

Post Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:29 pm

dionenoid wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:48 pm
[...] that wish they have the experience this guy has in mixing and mastering.
I don't know about the use of the word "experience" here, but whatever experience he has does not = skill.

The few times I've stopped by to watch, his mixing skills did not seem beyond medium. The mastering video with Ozone vs LANDR gave me the impression mastering is not his thing. He strikes me as the kind of person that thinks running a track through a tape machine is 80% of mastering. "true analog feel" or some other nonsense.

I will concede he seems to have good ears for some nuance. And he has access to hardware which he has some experience with. But knowing about some knobs and being able to hear compression does not make an expert engineer.

I'll leave you with this thought. There's a reason a truly experienced master like Pensado keeps his opinions measured. He knows enough to tell you exactly what to do, but experience also means knowing that there are many ways to get to results, and what works on something may not work on something else. So a true pro sounds reasonable, willing to explore, shy on judgment.

Be wary of anyone that is willing to give definitive opinions on something they've just heard for the first time 5 mins ago. For this Snaky dude that's his signature move.

jochicago
KVRian
693 posts since 26 Feb, 2018

Re: Coming Soon: Izotope Ozone 9

Post Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:33 pm

Lucastyle wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:29 pm
Im wondering who really thinks master rebalance is a good feature ...
I think it's nice to have it vs it not being an option. The quality depends on the material (it probably will be noticeable in many cases if you are lifting more than a couple db), but being able to lift the vocals a couple db can do a lot. At times the conversation is about saving some time not having to go back to the original tracks. But in many cases you may be remastering material for which there are no stems.

User avatar
dionenoid
KVRist
429 posts since 3 Jan, 2019 from Holland

Re: Coming Soon: Izotope Ozone 9

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:35 am

EnochLight wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:03 pm
But this guy is in fact, himself, a moron. He has no more experience mixing and mastering than the vast majority of peeps here at KVR. He's a bedroom producer making YouTube videos for pay clicks. He has zero published work under his belt that's charting. Unless I'm missing something?
Yes you're missing something. Among it the fact that those snake-oil vids are made for fun. Don't take it so serious, he surely doesn't :wink:
More BPM please

User avatar
Aloysius
KVRAF
24983 posts since 11 Aug, 2008 from another dimension

Re: Coming Soon: Izotope Ozone 9

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:06 am

This is no laughing matter! :x
Hi-de-Hi!

AdvancedFollower
KVRian
502 posts since 8 May, 2018 from Sweden

Re: Coming Soon: Izotope Ozone 9

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:20 am

dionenoid wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:35 am
EnochLight wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:03 pm
But this guy is in fact, himself, a moron. He has no more experience mixing and mastering than the vast majority of peeps here at KVR. He's a bedroom producer making YouTube videos for pay clicks. He has zero published work under his belt that's charting. Unless I'm missing something?
Yes you're missing something. Among it the fact that those snake-oil vids are made for fun. Don't take it so serious, he surely doesn't :wink:
Yeah it seems he often doesn't even take the time to read the manual before reviewing a product, so sometimes he glosses over major features etc. It's not the best type of videos to watch if you want a thorough and detailed walk-through of a product. It's more of a "I installed this 5 minutes ago and here's what I found by just clicking randomly on stuff". I don't think it's due to lack of experience or skill - As you say, the snake oil videos are more for fun and not to be taken seriously. Only I find them more annoying than fun...

User avatar
Calenberger
KVRist
268 posts since 8 Sep, 2019 from Calenberg

Re: Coming Soon: Izotope Ozone 9

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:20 am

With the upgrade to MPS 3 there came an All Year Pass from GROOVE 3.
They have really good and instructive vids.
Wasn't aware of that stuff before, but it's quite helpful.
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua.
At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum.

User avatar
Aloysius
KVRAF
24983 posts since 11 Aug, 2008 from another dimension

Re: Coming Soon: Izotope Ozone 9

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:23 am

Warren Huart is the same. He skips AmpliTube items in his Brian May Collection review for example. He also had Andrew Scheps in showing off his Omni Channel. Warren admitted that he had completely missed the expanded functionality of the Plug-in when using it himself. There are people at kvr who know a lot more about plugins that some of these youtube ''stars''.
Hi-de-Hi!

jochicago
KVRian
693 posts since 26 Feb, 2018

Re: Coming Soon: Izotope Ozone 9

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:44 am

Aloysius wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:23 am
Warren Huart is the same. He skips AmpliTube items in his Brian May Collection review for example. He also had Andrew Scheps in showing off his Omni Channel. Warren admitted that he had completely missed the expanded functionality of the Plug-in when using it himself. There are people at kvr who know a lot more about plugins that some of these youtube ''stars''.
Similar result at times but unfair to call them the same in principle. Warren suffers of over production. He is trying to cover lots of things, and he means to do a good job and be thorough but when being asked to review all manner of thing and some not in his wheelhouse, the reviews suffer.

That's not the same as beating up a plugin like a piñata for fun and in celebration of ignorance.

Also, IIRC Warren featured the Omni on his channel twice, and both times he had someone with more experience with it than himself tell the story. Incidentally, his Scheps interview was great, it revealed a lot about the plugin that hadn't been said before and helped me use it better.

If Snaky were to review the Omni, I'd expect him to say something imbecilic like plugins shouldn't have saturation knobs because if you want analog saturation just "buy a tape machine".

User avatar
Fleer
KVRAF
4592 posts since 23 Aug, 2014 from Boston/Cambridge

Re: Coming Soon: Izotope Ozone 9

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:01 pm

Yet to some of us (like me) the guy’s fun.

User avatar
frackermak
KVRist
91 posts since 22 Nov, 2018 from UK

Re: Coming Soon: Izotope Ozone 9

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:50 pm

Fleer wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:01 pm
Yet to some of us (like me) the guy’s fun.
:tu:

User avatar
Calenberger
KVRist
268 posts since 8 Sep, 2019 from Calenberg

Re: Coming Soon: Izotope Ozone 9

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:51 pm

frackermak wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:50 pm
Fleer wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:01 pm
Yet to some of us (like me) the guy’s fun.
:tu:
:tu:
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua.
At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum.

Return to “Effects”