Loop point modulation (ASR style) missing in most samplers?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've recently seen some videos on the way old Ensoniq samplers could modulate loops of a sample.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3rrwyURgk4

Given that this is a technique from machines in the 90s, I thought it must be a piece of cake in Kontakt. Nope. It isn't there and I have no idea how to add it through a script, if it is possible.

Tried it in Iris 2. Nope. You can actually manually move a loop using the mouse, but can't assign it to a CC or anywhere else. It also doesn't move smoothly, but jumps from place to place when using the mouse.

I just bought UVI Falcon 2 yesterday and given it's ability to modulate almost anything so easily, I thought it would have this in the Scrub sampler. Nope. The sound design beast that is Falcon doesn't have this either.

I managed to find a Reaktor ensemble called 'Frame' that does this at least, but it's hard to believe that there is so little support in arguably the 2 most powerful software samplers for this function. In particular, Falcon was a let down as modulating the play position of a sample is incredibly easy. They only needed to add a variation of that and it would be done.

It's interesting and a little sad that such a unique way of working with samples has been all but forgotten at a time with such enormous computing power. At the moment it's just pissing me off to have such powerful software samplers and need to use other tools to do this one thing. I would buy an ASR 10 for the transwave/looping functions but they are insanely expensive in my opinion and I can't justify it at the moment.

Other than the Reaktor ensemble I found, does anyone know of any other VST plugins that do this?

Transwaves are basically wavetables. Falcon does wavetable synthesis. What it doesn't is building your own wavetables.

Bu there are other synths that allow you to create your own wavetables, extracting them from samples, like Xfer Serum and Tone 2 Icarus.
Fernando (FMR)

Theoretically not all that hard to implement, but I suspect people don't because they know they'd get lots of support requests to "fix the garbage sound" or "get rid of the nasty clicking". Moving a loop point and ending up with the loop points in spots that will actually make a smooth-sounding loop is hard. Let people move the loop points to wherever, and the result will rarely be good.

Modulate the loop points and you end up with a click when the loop point ends up somewhere with no zero crossing. Not a big deal with mono samples, as there's probably "nearest zero crossing" not too far away, but with stereo samples they become very rare. So, to make this practical you'd have to do crossfade looping, which isn't that hard, I suppose, but modulating would still sound very obviously phasey a lot of the time.

In Disco DSP High Life loop start/end are available as VST parameters.
In Vember Audio shortcircuit1 (didn't check 2) loop start/length are available as modulation targets.

TAL Sampler allows to modulate the loop start. loop end, and even change the entire loop (by locking loop duation, and moving one of the points). But the results aren't that great, sonically. I prefer to do that with a wavetable synth.
Fernando (FMR)

The Bitwig sampler does that, but its not a VST.
The technique requires real time crossfade of the loop. This is close to what granular synthesis needs to do all the time. In traditional samplers they might calculate the crossfade in advance for the higher efficiency. During the crossfade you need twice as many voices (sort of)...

I downloaded the Tal Sampler demo. Frustratingly, the modulation matrix, which I rather liked, didn't actually work after I assigned any paramaters to it. Will try to get it working this week though as I rather liked the design and lofi capacity of the sound.
Maybe it's just me, but Falcon being able to do sampling and wavetable synthesis, but not wavetable synthesis using my own samples seemed like a rather glaring omission. I have no idea how hard that is to pull off as a developer, but it seems incredibly obvious that it should be included in a future update.

On a random note, an ASR 10 in need of repairs just popped up on my local kijiji this morning, but I already have a Roland MV 8000 with pads I can't get working so I don't want to take on another dud, or fixer upper. lol.

fmr wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:28 pm TAL Sampler allows to modulate the loop start. loop end, and even change the entire loop (by locking loop duation, and moving one of the points). But the results aren't that great, sonically. I prefer to do that with a wavetable synth.
I actually like things that aren't quite so smooth, so that's probably perfect for me. I've heard the Ensoniq samplers doing it with larger samples that aren't particularly clean and I think it sounds great.
Pretty sure I'll end up grabbing an Ensoniq sampler at some point, but I've bought way too much gear in the past year already. Maybe next year.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”