If The Major DAW Developers Said They Were Dropping Support For Mac OS...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It was clickbait.............

Indeed it was :wink: although truthful nonetheless.
Say NO to CLAP!

If you mean the thread title, well it's not really clickbate... it's just a cleverly worded heading which is asking a projected scenario question that is of interest and debate, in a climate of chaos in the computer technology field of today.

Anyway... in other parts of the web... https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/10/1 ... lina_fail/
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

jinotsuh wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:35 am
Calenberger wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:44 pm What exactly is this LINUX thing and why should I care about it?
You shouldn't, unless you like having one arm tied behind your back or you are a masochist.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

reggie1979 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:57 am It was clickbait ...
Of course, yes! :hihi: Everyone knows the following platitudes:

Persons who avoid every kind of system-tuning, who
obviate every technical customizing, who only want to see
colourful images and like to mouse-click, they use:

Apple MacOS.

Apple has the most user-friendly and easy going
operating system. The user only needs to switch on -
and there he is. And that's the reason why many
creative people, who don't wanna become computer
freaks, who don't even want to change any setting,
use an Apple-Computer: Designer, illustrator, media-
and TV-people, journalists and musicians.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Persons, who have a little understanding of what a
computer does, and who are able to do rudimentary
tweaks use:

Windows PC.

Persons, who have a deep understanding of what a
computer does, and who are fond of tweaking "their
machine" use:

Linux PC.

Regarding Catalina ... Although an Apple PC costs twice as
much as a comparable Windows-PC people still need the
easyness and affability of a Mac.

The user group of Apple seems to be very loyal and stable,
and so I don't think that existing developers will drop their
support for Apple MacOS. Every operating system goes
through incisive changes, also MacOS with Catalina, but
this is just a normal process in the evolution of any operating
system.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Apple osx and ios used to be more user friendly .... I don't think it's as user friendly , times have changed .

I've been using Mac's since the very first version of OS X and I can't say I ever found it user-friendly. So many things that I take for granted on PC are either a chore or unachievable on a Mac. e.g. In Windows it is a doddle to copy and paste a file path from one Explorer window to another but on a Mac that is not possible, you have to navigate the full path manually, which is a chore. macOS also has the worst window management I have ever encountered. It's so bad they have had to bolt on at least two different things to try and improve it, neither of which have.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

fedexnman wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:02 am Apple osx and ios used to be more user friendly .... I don't think it's as user friendly , times have changed .
Agree.

Macs are not twice the cost of a comparable PC. Comparable means including a display of equal resolution. You can get a PC with comparable internals for quite a bit less, but add the high density display and the difference shrinks to not much at all. Then add Thunderbolt. Mini excluded. Somewhat.

jonljacobi wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:47 pm Macs are not twice the cost of a comparable PC. Comparable means including a display of equal resolution. You can get a PC with comparable internals for quite a bit less, but add the high density display and the difference shrinks to not much at all. Then add Thunderbolt. Mini excluded. Somewhat.
Who cares about the display resolution? A 4K display is still a luxury for the average user. A full HD display is more than enough, most of the times. What users need is CPU power, enough RAM, and a well performing HD. And lots of connectors. That's what "comparable" means. The "high density display" is an example of Apple's "marketing BS".

If Apple decided to gold plate all their connectors, would that mean their machines would perform better? I don't think so. But they would certainly be more expensive :roll:

Thunderbolt is Thunderbolt - doesn't matter what kind of connector it uses. And all Thunderbolt 3 connectors are "mini" (the same type of connector used by USB 3.1).
Fernando (FMR)

Hink did ask that people don’t let these threads become Mac vs. PC rants...

Lost on the same serial posters as always.

(Plays Carly Simon card)

People who wait in the line to get new iPhone will buy 8k display for DAW to see smoothest automation curve in the market.

Forgotten wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:46 pm Hink did ask that people don’t let these threads become Mac vs. PC rants...
:scared:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I might not be the first to post this, but the main problem for media creators who are using MacOS is actually Apple going with ARM CPUs instead of Intel soon. MacOS - Catalina going all 64-bit is the least problem with Apple. When they start releasing computers with ARM CPUs next year, all the software will have to be recompiled for a different platform. This is where most of the developers will falter. Those who make Android apps will have a much easier time.

On the other hand, making an existing 64-bit MacOS program work with 64-bit Linux is an easier task than making it work in Windows.

With Windows having its own bunch of problems, my hope is that MacOS developers will go with Linux as a second platform. We'll see what happens... anyway, an OS that everybody uses should be nobody's property. An OS is like air and water. ;)
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”