If The Major DAW Developers Said They Were Dropping Support For Mac OS...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fmr wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:06 pm
jonljacobi wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:47 pm Macs are not twice the cost of a comparable PC. Comparable means including a display of equal resolution. You can get a PC with comparable internals for quite a bit less, but add the high density display and the difference shrinks to not much at all. Then add Thunderbolt. Mini excluded. Somewhat.
Who cares about the display resolution? A 4K display is still a luxury for the average user. A full HD display is more than enough, most of the times. What users need is CPU power, enough RAM, and a well performing HD. And lots of connectors. That's what "comparable" means. The "high density display" is an example of Apple's "marketing BS".

If Apple decided to gold plate all their connectors, would that mean their machines would perform better? I don't think so. But they would certainly be more expensive :roll:

Thunderbolt is Thunderbolt - doesn't matter what kind of connector it uses. And all Thunderbolt 3 connectors are "mini" (the same type of connector used by USB 3.1).
I was commenting on “comparable” price wise. High def and Thunderbolt are expensive. Both are very nice to have, but I never said anything about what people need or should buy. You seem to have the pulse of the people so I’ll leave that to you.

jonljacobi wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:26 pm I was commenting on “comparable” price wise. High def and Thunderbolt are expensive.
You wrote: "Comparable means including a display of equal resolution", to which I replied: No it doesn't. It means a computer with similar performance :shrug:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:37 pm
jonljacobi wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:26 pm I was commenting on “comparable” price wise. High def and Thunderbolt are expensive.
You wrote: "Comparable means including a display of equal resolution", to which I replied: No it doesn't. It means a computer with similar performance :shrug:
A better screen resolution is going to cost more.
It's also going to be comparably considered 'better'.
When someone mentions that X item is expensive, if that item has a better screen resolution it's fair to mention that resolution as why it's more expensive. :shrug:

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac-pro

Look at those stats for $5,000. I can buy a comparable PC and monitor for half, build it for 1/4.
Have you tried Vital?

Yeah, they are way to expensive for a DAW. I think though apple is good for video/post/etc are they not? Still unreasonably priced though. The new desktops are CRAZY expensive too.

Psuper wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:48 pm https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac-pro

Look at those stats for $5,000. I can buy a comparable PC and monitor for half, build it for 1/4.
No, you can't. The 5K monitor alone goes for $1300 from LG. You're already at your budget limit just getting a comparable monitor.

Now cutting corners and designing a computer specifically for music, yes you will always be able to beat Apple and i7's are more than good enough for music, maybe even better than Xeon's when it comes to performance VS price. Server class chips aren't a bad idea if you're using this as a front end for Pro Tools in a studio that's running 12-16 hours a day though.

reggie1979 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:09 pm Yeah, they are way to expensive for a DAW. I think though apple is good for video/post/etc are they not? Still unreasonably priced though. The new desktops are CRAZY expensive too.
The new desktops are for tasks that traditionally require render farms. They aren't geared towards home studios that's for sure. The 2019 Macbook Pros on the other hand are ridiculously powerful for home studios. Six and eight core laptops that compete well with desktops.

I'm planing in the future on getting a PC desktop as a VEP slave to a Macbook. I'm also planning on posting in these threads with righteous firm conviction as to platform merely based on what computer I'm in front of when this happens! :hihi:

machinesworking wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:45 pm
Psuper wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:48 pm https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac-pro

No, you can't. The 5K monitor alone goes for $1300 from LG. You're already at your budget limit just getting a comparable monitor.

Now cutting corners and designing a computer specifically for music, yes you will always be able to beat Apple and i7's are more than good enough for music, maybe even better than Xeon's when it comes to performance VS price. Server class chips aren't a bad idea if you're using this as a front end for Pro Tools in a studio that's running 12-16 hours a day though.
Maybe you can't, but I sure can, and do. And did for 25+ years.

That monitor (a 27" 5k) can be had for much less, which leaves far more for the building of the PC, then keeps the PC the only part you 'rebuild' in the future unless you feel the need for more monitors.

Regardless, I wouldn't be dumb enough to purchase an expensive 5k monitor at a paltry 27" when a 1440 @ 144hz at that size is far superior in every way, along with the benefit of long-term eye comfort at 1/4 of the price.

I also wouldn't be cutting corners, I'd easily improve upon those MacPro stats which aren't impressive in the least. I'd get more of everything necessary (raw cpu power, graphics processing, memory, redundant drives etc) and less of everything unnecessary (noise, heat, bloat).

Don't get me wrong, I know some people will see this and go "No I must resist that buyers remorse Psuper is making plain to see so lets get that bearer of bad news!" But its a fact that has been true for as long as I've been in the industry. They'll be better off in the long run with open eyes than closed in denial. But hey, if that wallet holds up, who cares just buy what you like!
Have you tried Vital?

Macs are expensive, but as I said, if you put together a Windows PC with the same components and specs, including display, you're not paying that much less and in some cases more. I just went through this. But you can of course, put together a much faster Windows PC for the same amount of money if you cheap it out on the display. Mac Minis aren't a particularly good deal. BTW, I use a NUC for some stuff and run primarily Windows on my older iMac which I inherited. Before that, I was using Windows machines exclusively and perfectly happy.

As to the original topic. We'd all adapt. But I don't think it's going to be an issue, because of the Mac's inertia in the industry and for better or worse, ridiculous or not, many Mac users tend to distrust Windows. Also, Macs are attractive machines. Even when I was all Windows I would admit that. My Miata corners better than a Porsche, but it doesn't look nearly as good doing it. ;-)

Where are you seeing a 5K display for less than $1300?

attractive machines?
sex bots? :hyper:

For all the fanboi's!

reggie1979 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:23 pm For all the fanboi's!
if you have sex with s fan, you're gonna have a bad day...

vurt wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:25 pm
That blows...

Forgotten wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:38 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:25 pm
That blows...
jizzing in to a working fan is known as "the swedish snowblower"

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”