Plugin Alliance - Black Box Analog Design HG-2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kenobi77 wrote:I think it's really cool that PA have emulated a modern piece of gear that is not something that most ppl would be familiar with.

My initial thoughts after a bit of experimenting with it on the master bus is that it achieves something I've wanted / like but previously didn't know how to. It's feels like a bit of a cheat. But I'll post back my thoughts after some more time with it, after I've learnt and used it more and any halo effect has subsided.
I feel the same. That's whatI like about Waves plugins too.

Okay so they have SSL, Neve & API, but bare in mind they brought theirs out long before most others, they may have even been first?!? So, at the time, no-one else seemed to be doing those other.

Now they have the BSS DPR-402, and a dbx 160, Pie, the Abbey Road stuff, The Manny EQ & ToneShaper are great. Well UAD does have a 160, but it's not native. By now I wouldn't be surprised if Slate doesn't have one. I think they have a Red that not many else have done, except Focusrite themselves.

Then there are these really inventive things Waves also do, like Plugin Alliance. Like Vitamin, Parallel Particles, Cobalt Saphira, NX, The H-Series.

Getting back to Plugin Alliance, they have the elysia, Millennial, Vertigo, Dangerous, SPL emulations, as well as great teach coming from Brainworx and Unfiltered Audio. Now they have Black Box on top of that!!

I have over 40 of their plugins. Every time I tell myself no more, they always catch me with killer no brainer sales.

I don't need 100 different 1176's or LA-2A's. It's what companies are doing different that attracts my attention... and my money!!

^^^ that's a healthy collection of PA plugins you got there :)

The thing with the hardware HG-2 though is that it was introduced at the end of 2014, it's barely 2 years old!

jens wrote:
JohnnyA wrote:Their Dent on the other hand is pretty much garbage, and just adds harsh, digital bit-based distortion that sounds the same on all presets. Maybe something for the Drum and Bass crowd, but not much else. And it still did nothing that couldn't be done better with a million other tools like FXpansion Maul, Decapitator, Trash 2, etc. And G8 doesn't touch a hair on FabFilter's Pro-G.

Totally wrong - again you are too quick to judge, buddy!

Dent can do wonderful, creamy analog-style saturation. RTFM.

;-)

Would have to agree to that.

It does a multitude of different types of distortion, including something that can be construed as harsh, as well as bit crushing. It's quite flexible and is a LITTLE but like Trash to some extent in terms of flexibility with its distortion. But I believe it also doing things Trash currently cannot.

simon.a.billington wrote:
jens wrote:
JohnnyA wrote:Their Dent on the other hand is pretty much garbage, and just adds harsh, digital bit-based distortion that sounds the same on all presets. Maybe something for the Drum and Bass crowd, but not much else. And it still did nothing that couldn't be done better with a million other tools like FXpansion Maul, Decapitator, Trash 2, etc. And G8 doesn't touch a hair on FabFilter's Pro-G.

Totally wrong - again you are too quick to judge, buddy!

Dent can do wonderful, creamy analog-style saturation. RTFM.

;-)

Would have to agree to that.

It does a multitude of different types of distortion, including something that can be construed as harsh, as well as bit crushing. It's quite flexible and is a LITTLE but like Trash to some extent in terms of flexibility with its distortion. But I believe it also doing things Trash currently cannot.

Try this. https://www.fxpansion.com/products/maul/

Digital bit distortion, hardware circuit modeled analog distortion, 32 different distortion algorithms, lots of intuitive modulation, 3 distorters at the same time, multiband support, each band has a filter to shape the distortion. :oops: Maul is the BEST wild distortion unit in the box I have ever seen (for sure beats Saturn and Dent). Etch is great too if you want pure filters. And Bloom is great for delays.
Last edited by Temptin on Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Temptin wrote:Try this. https://www.fxpansion.com/products/maul/

Digital bit distortion, hardware circuit modeled analog distortion, 32 different distortion algorithms, lots of intuitive modulation, 3 distorters at the same time, multiband support, each band has a filter to shape the distortion. :oops: Maul is the BEST wild distortion unit in the box I have ever seen (for sure beats Saturn and Dent). Etch is great too if you want pure filters. And Bloom is great for delays.
Not to derail the thread, but totally agree on Maul. Fantastically flexible distortion/saturation plugin. Running the circuits in parallel (which strangely Saturn can't do), it gets really damn nuts, like Ohmicide nuts. And while I'm a fan of Dent/Indent's modulation, it pales in comparison to Fxpansion's Transmod. Much better workflow than click and drag modulator sources, which is kind of cliche in the plugin world.

masterhiggins wrote:

Not to derail the thread, but totally agree on Maul. Fantastically flexible distortion/saturation plugin. Running the circuits in parallel (which strangely Saturn can't do), it gets really damn nuts, like Ohmicide nuts. And while I'm a fan of Dent/Indent's modulation, it pales in comparison to Fxpansion's Transmod. Much better workflow than click and drag modulator sources, which is kind of cliche in the plugin world.
Sounds awesome, but yeah... It is a bit derailing.

Anyone else want to offer their impressions on the BlackBox HG-2??

masterhiggins wrote:

Okay yes back on topic :) HG-2 is the best saturator I have ever used. So good for taking a digital synth and making it warm. Try lowpassing the synth first to get rid of digital highs then using HG-2 to fatten that. Wow. :party: Sounds analog.

Temptin wrote:
masterhiggins wrote:

Okay yes back on topic :) HG-2 is the best saturator I have ever used. So good for taking a digital synth and making it warm. Try lowpassing the synth first to get rid of digital highs then using HG-2 to fatten that. Wow. :party: Sounds analog.
You can set the calibration to "Dark", turn the "air" parameter on and drag it all the way to the left. That way you'll have those highs controlled but it won't sound dull.

Mercado_Negro wrote:
Temptin wrote:
masterhiggins wrote:

You can set the calibration to "Dark", turn the "air" parameter on and drag it all the way to the left. That way you'll have those highs controlled but it won't sound dull.
The calibration to dark was a great tip, thanks! :hyper:

I don't think Air at 0% does anything though. That setting only increases highs I think.

Temptin wrote:
Mercado_Negro wrote:You can set the calibration to "Dark", turn the "air" parameter on and drag it all the way to the left. That way you'll have those highs controlled but it won't sound dull.
The calibration to dark was a great tip, thanks! :hyper:

I don't think Air at 0% does anything though. That setting only increases highs I think.
Enabling AIR adds something to the signal, even at 0%. It's subtle but you can definitely hear it.

Seeing as a number of people wanted mid/side for HG-2, I made a Patcher preset for FL Studio users but forgot to share here.

https://unaspectedstudios.com/sharing/P ... idSide.fst

The GUI has been recreated using Control Surface, with the response of all stepped controls matched using Formula Controller. There are two panels, one for mid and one for side; which can be switched between.

Last edited by Unaspected on Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:39 pm "It seems that you are not allowed to download or view attachments on this board"
That's odd. It downloads direct when I'm not signed in.

I'll just host it.

One moment...

I've updated the link.

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:52 pm
Unaspected wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:45 pm
Vortifex wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:39 pm "It seems that you are not allowed to download or view attachments on this board"
That's odd. It downloads direct when I'm not signed in.

I'll just host it.

One moment...

I've updated the link.
Nice one, thank you 8)
You're welcome. Thank you for letting me know about the broken link. I updated the image link too as I noticed that was no longer working either.

Return to “Effects”