Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

Hey! Sorry if this question has been asked, but after looking through 50 pages, I didn't see it...

Does Dexed work with USB keyboard controllers? (Like maybe the Alesis line? I was eyeing the 61 key version).

I was going to pick up an FM Synth --- the Korg DS-8, but couldn't find one in my price range that wasn't beat up. Then I learned about being able to use the DS-8 patches with Dexed (via conversion), and I figured this would satisfy my FM hunger... And Dexed looks great, but... how do you actually use the on screen keyboard? Just via MIDI?.....would a USB keyboard controller work?

Jionix wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:17 am Hey! Sorry if this question has been asked, but after looking through 50 pages, I didn't see it...

Does Dexed work with USB keyboard controllers? (Like maybe the Alesis line? I was eyeing the 61 key version).

I was going to pick up an FM Synth --- the Korg DS-8, but couldn't find one in my price range that wasn't beat up. Then I learned about being able to use the DS-8 patches with Dexed (via conversion), and I figured this would satisfy my FM hunger... And Dexed looks great, but... how do you actually use the on screen keyboard? Just via MIDI?.....would a USB keyboard controller work?
You will need a few things in addition to a USB keyboard controller.

1. A host. DAW software such as Cubase or Logic Pro is a good example of such. Most "plugins" (soft synths and effects) require them. However, some software exists in "stand alone" mode. I do not think DEXED has a stand alone mode. If you JUST want to play with soft synths, and they do not have a stand alone mode, you will need a "wrapper" such as the free Tone2 NanoHost. You will load DEXED into the mini host and go from there.

2. A MIDI interface for your computer. Some keyboards can connect via USB. If so, then a MIDI interface is not needed.

3. An audio interface. Most computers come with soundcards (built-in such as Realtek). But they are not made to be used with a MIDI input device driving the audio output. The result is latency. By that I mean you hit a key on the keyboard and it takes a full second before you hear sounds out of your speakers. One workaround as a temporary fix might be to try ASIO4ALL drivers. You will need to install this prior to DEXED (or any other softsynth). Just be sure to check the audio settings of your software and change the audio output to Type- (ASIO) Source-(ASIO4ALL drivers). Adjust ASIO4ALL drivers to a lower latency (usually sub 40ms) for best results.

Once you have all of that, there is a WORLD of synthesizers available to you. Many, many good ones are free.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply buddy! I appreciate it...

Regarding the DAW... Ummm. I kind of a noob here. I see the Alesis keyboard comes packed with some software... "Ableton Live Lite 9 and Eleven Lite, plus Mini Grand, DB-33 and Xpand!2 virtual instrument software by Air Music Tech". I know I can probably help myself by doing some research on these, but how will I know if any of that included software has DAW?

Oh, I've probably answered my own question. As I was looking at another USB keyboard, and I see it lists as coming with DAW software (the Nektar Impact). It says it comes with BITWIG 8-TRACK... So with that in mind, will any DAW work? And is there any required, um... Connection? between Dexed and the DAW software? Or is it just open one, open the other, and that's it?

Any DAW should work. Ableton Live Lite or Bitwig is fine. You open your DAW and from there you load the plugin (DEXED, etc.). Obviously there is more to it than that. But Youtube, as well as the Getting Started section here, offers tons of how-to's and can step you through the process.

You are in for a treat.

Thanks my friend, I appreciate the help :)

And once you've learned how to make Dexed work in your DAW... it will be exactly the same way for almost any other synth and effect.

The rest will come easily after that.

The first very important thing to do is to install your ASIO tool in your computer.

Then you connect your USB keyboard.

Then you install your DAW. Once your DAW is installed, generally it immediately asks you what audio interface you want to use (you answer that you choose to use your ASIO interface) and what MIDI interface you want to use (you answer that you choose to use your Alesis keyboard, if it is this one which is connected).

Then you install Dexed.

Coming back to your DAW you ask it to scan your computer to search the VST plugins it contains (if it doesn't do this automatically, right click on the VST folder under devices and presets in the browser on the right hand side, and select Re-index. Normally it should be set to auto scan for changes as well).

This should be made only once for months or years, as the auto-scan is on for any future changes on your computer.

It will find Dexed. So Dexed will appear in the list of VST instruments and effects.

Then if you drag&drop Dexed from the list to the workspace, the GUI of Dexed will appear. If the keyboard is correctly set, it will immediately work.

Each time you install or uninstall a VST (whatever it is, instrument or effect), you won't have to do all these steps, as the auto-scan is set to On meaning to rescan the computer to search the VST plugins each time your DAW is reopened. The scan runs very fast, don't worry. It is a bit long only the first time.

And as our friend thejonsolo wrote, don't forget to learn in depth your DAW, by its user manual and by the very numerous how-to which are on Youtube.
:tu:
Last edited by BlackWinny on Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

If you are more a live musician than a composer, Bitwig is a good choice, excellent for live performances, as Ableton.

If you are more a composer than a live musician, there are better choices, as Cakewalk by BandLab (which is awesome and free, it is the former famous Sonar, now continued by another company), Mulab, Cubase (there are different levels), FL Studio, Reaper, etc.

There are choices for everybody.
:tu:
Last edited by BlackWinny on Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Nevermind :P

Jionix wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:00 pm Nevermind :P
Nevermind, what???

That was all good advice from somebody that knows what he is talking about. :tu:
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Ha ha, no it was! I just asked a dumb question that I was able to figure out myself after posting :P

Hi guys,

I tried to read the DX21 factory banks sysex into Dexed, but all I get is an empty preset list. Any idea how to fix this? Here are the dumps:
DX21FactorySysex.zip
EDIT: And additional question. I installed v0.95 from original page, but the VST still says 0.91 in the info box. So is the info box outdated?

EDIT: Ok, dxconvert3 seems to convert those nicely to DX7/Dexed format.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Hanz Meyzer on Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DELETED
Fernando (FMR)

DELETED
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Jionix wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:11 am Thanks my friend, I appreciate the help :)
To clarify, the AIR plugins are good, but require
the ilok software manager, so be patient, make an ilok account,
install the manager, and register the plugins.

The Bitwig 8 Track daw limits you to
2 vsts, and 8 tracks, but comes with some good bitwig content, so I recommend also using the Reaper demo daw,
which has a 60 day demo period,
no plugin limits etc and a semi-pro license then costs only $60.

www.reaper.fm

Youtube videos for Reaper are a big help.
Cheers

Return to “Instruments”