Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

This will be an issue on any DAW which uses internal VST codes or manufacturer codes instead of just the plugin name to determine if it is a different plugin.

The reason it does not happen on other plugins is because they use the same codes in both their Windows and Mac versions.

Unfortunately I did not do this when I first created the Mac build.

Like I said, I can fix the codes in the Mac build but then it will break it for all existing Mac users.

The reason why very few if any other people are having this problem is because it is very rare for anyone to be doing their music using Windows on one computer and Mac OSX on another. Most users are either Windows people or Mac people exclusively. You are the first customer I ever heard of who is using both Windows and Mac on the same DAW project (not that there is anything wrong with that).

I could also make a Mac build with the same internal codes if you want but you would need to tell me first specifically which Mac build you are currently using.

No way I’m going to take your development time for this.
I’ll manage some how (one day I will get a MBP again).
Fathom is definitely worth the trouble.

Thank you for your support.
First class as usual.
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

OK, but I will check the codes anyway.

Creating an extra build for you with the same codes would only take a few extra minutes (not a big deal).

Just let me know please which Mac build and Windows build you are using.

Just a thought:
Future major versions, like v3.0, can’t it be made using the same system as the rest of the plugins available for both platforms?

If you can then here is what I have:
Mac is v2.33.13 Pro 64
Win is 2.33.01 Pro 64.

Thank you!

Biscotto wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:35 am Just a thought:
Future major versions, like v3.0, can’t it be made using the same system as the rest of the plugins available for both platforms?

If you can then here is what I have:
Mac is v2.33.13 Pro 64
Win is 2.33.01 Pro 64.

Thank you!
EDIT! Sorry!!
Mac v2.33.0.13
Win v2.33.0.1

Hopefully on time...

FathomSynth wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:20 am OK, but I will check the codes anyway.

Creating an extra build for you with the same codes would only take a few extra minutes (not a big deal).

Just let me know please which Mac build and Windows build you are using.
not sure about the need for the same code but for the same VSTid yes

For the vector version definitely use the same ID. The more you move into professional areas the more likely projects need to be cross platform...
I am on Mac and I would not mind if the ID once for all would be made the same as for Windows, it would require to keep an older version of the plug-in for older projects (personally don‘t have many). If you accompany it with a way to save and load presets from the plugin, you could move a project to a newer plugin version by saving a preset from the old version and loading it into the new one...
I recall we had one id change in the beginning...
I have a project which does not find Fathom, I forgot which older version I would have to install to be able to load it again... It just has to be documented precisely...

OK, first I will create a quick test release with the same ID's to verify it will work.

TJ, You raise an interesting point. The version number will be jumping to 3.00 for the next release and maybe Mac users can be convinced that changing the ID numbers will be worth it in the long run so they match the Windows ID's.

I could also write an internal Fathom utility that would allow Mac users to migrate their projects automatically. It would simply save and load the presets on all tracks automatically. This is not hard to do since Fathom knows when it is being asked to save its own state when the host is saving a project. It could then save itself to a preset in a given folder similar to the user folder. The preset name would include an incremented number representing the track number and when the project is loaded again with Fathom 3.0 it would automatically load its own state on each track from the same series of presets in the folder.

This would allow all Mac users to migrate to the new VST ID numbers automatically without having to go track by track manually.

Certainly a smart solution, indeed!

And yes, I'm pretty sure that the VST ID is the key in the issue.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

FathomSynth wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:33 pm OK, first I will create a quick test release with the same ID's to verify it will work.

TJ, You raise an interesting point. The version number will be jumping to 3.00 for the next release and maybe Mac users can be convinced that changing the ID numbers will be worth it in the long run so they match the Windows ID's.

I could also write an internal Fathom utility that would allow Mac users to migrate their projects automatically. It would simply save and load the presets on all tracks automatically. This is not hard to do since Fathom knows when it is being asked to save its own state when the host is saving a project. It could then save itself to a preset in a given folder similar to the user folder. The preset name would include an incremented number representing the track number and when the project is loaded again with Fathom 3.0 it would automatically load its own state on each track from the same series of presets in the folder.

This would allow all Mac users to migrate to the new VST ID numbers automatically without having to go track by track manually.
Very good idea,
If you rename the 3.0 Version, it would not override the existing older versions. As they have different IDs, they could be used side by side. Or you advise the users to rename the older versions, though they might then appear under the same name in a DAW browser.

As a side note , do you remember when there was a change of the id on Mac? I could try to load those projects with an older Fathom version. Its not important for me personally, but I am curious which version I would have to install to let the project find Fathom again...

Hey, I think this is a pretty basic question, but I can't figure it out.

Is there a way to add a delay to an LFO? I'm trying to have a bit of vibrato fade in after a note is held for a certain amount of time. I've tried automating the modulation value of the Pitch LFO with a separate ADSR, but that doesn't seem to work.

Yes, you can do it right on the LFO page.

I do this all the time for voice presets needing a fade in vibrato which is why I built it into the LFO.

Set Trigger to Note.
Set LFO Period and Attack Period to something fast like 1/6.
Set Start Period to something slow like 8.
Set Attack time to how long you want the vibratto to fade in, like 3 seconds.

The LFO phases work just like an ADSR, you have a Start Period,
Attack Period, Sustain Period (Decay Period) and Mod Period,
with all of the above having a Period setting and Time setting.

So if you wanted you could have the LFO start slow,
gradually change to attack speed over the attack time,
change to the sustain speed over the decay time,
then slowly modulate between the sustain speed and mod speed
over the repeated mod time.

See the manual chapter 8 Modulators, LFO.

Ahhhh, I see. That does work, but it's actually still not exactly what I want.

Instead of starting out with a very slow period and gradually moving faster (i.e. moving from a slow vibrato to very tight), I'd rather gradually have the AMOUNT of vibrato grow. In other words: constant period, but with a the amount total pitch change modulated. Is that possible? I thought it would be as simple as modulating the LFO amount (the knob in the modulation matrix itself) with an ADSR, but this doesn't seem to be functional.

willsavino wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:03 pm Ahhhh, I see. That does work, but it's actually still not exactly what I want.

Instead of starting out with a very slow period and gradually moving faster (i.e. moving from a slow vibrato to very tight), I'd rather gradually have the AMOUNT of vibrato grow. In other words: constant period, but with a the amount total pitch change modulated. Is that possible? I thought it would be as simple as modulating the LFO amount (the knob in the modulation matrix itself) with an ADSR, but this doesn't seem to be functional.

Thats weird.

I do that all the time. I use the Mod wheel to bring in the LFO amount by clicking the dot on the LFO modulator and selecting Mod wheel as my modulator. I am sure I have used envelops as well which sounds like what you want to do.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

He's right, it works, just modulate the modulation amount.

Click on the far left mini-dial on the modulation row for that LFO in the modulation matrix list.

Then the amount of modulation using that LFO can itself be modulated with any other modulator,
for instance an ADSR envelope.

Load up the preset "Violin Slow" both the Wave Index and Pitch Fine modulation amount are modulated in exactly the way you are asking using an LFO which gradually increases in both speed and intensity from the start of a note creating a gradual vibrato.

Return to “Instruments”