Any new classic synth emus on the horizon? Moog, Arp, Obie?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

abernathy wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:11 pm
nilhartman wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:38 pm Plogue's working on a DX-7 emu. Given the stellar sonics of their chipsynth line, it should be absolutely amazing.
That would be awesome. Arturia did a great job, but their GUI's, preset manager, etc rub me the wrong way.
What do you find wrong in the DX7 V GUI?
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:00 pm
abernathy wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:11 pm
nilhartman wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:38 pm Plogue's working on a DX-7 emu. Given the stellar sonics of their chipsynth line, it should be absolutely amazing.
That would be awesome. Arturia did a great job, but their GUI's, preset manager, etc rub me the wrong way.
What do you find wrong in the DX7 V GUI?
I prefer a flat GUI like Repro as opposed to the 3D perspective view. Only complaint I have about PolyM as well. Poor use of screen space and harder to see controls. I also find the Arturia preset manager to be a bit gimmicky. None of it is awful, just not my favorite.

Do we really need another moog emulation? :roll:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:17 am Do we really need another moog emulation? :roll:
Apparently ...

thecontrolcentre wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:25 am
Halonmusic wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:17 am Do we really need another moog emulation? :roll:
Apparently ...
:hihi:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:28 am
thecontrolcentre wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:25 am
Apparently ...
:hihi:
Need? I don’t think any of this is about need... And I’m not talking about another Minimoog emulation, but I guess that’s hard for some people to understand!

Here's my take on all this, listening to some of the arguments about what we need, don't need, what sounds good, what sounds like crap and so on.

The other day, somebody told me they don't like Geddy Lee's voice. That it actually makes them cringe. I love Geddy Lee's voice and wish I could sing half as good as him.

Point is this. All of this, and I mean ALL of this, is 100% subjective. No two people are going to agree on everything. The question is, is there enough of a demand from consumers to warrant creating "XYZ" synth, whether it be an emulation or something new. I don't think there's one person here who knows the answer to that unless they're actually in the business and have sales figures.

Personally, and again, this is just MY opinion, I don't care what comes out from here on in. I have more than enough synths to make all the music I want to make. There can't possibly be anything that anyone comes out with at this point that is going to make me go "I can't do the song I want to do unless I have THAT synth."

Thus, I am no longer a prospective customer. But somebody else will be. And they'll be a prospective customer for a certain kind of synth or maybe any kind of synth. Some people literally buy everything that comes out. I used to be that way. Then I looked around and said "What the hell am I doing with all these synths?" These days, I use a handful of them. Most of them, I could probably get rid of and not miss them. I'd be more lost without...

Pianoteq
MODO Drums
MODO Bass
Real Guitar, Les Paul, Strat, Rickenbacker
Warp IV Brass & Woodwinds
EWQL & VSL Orchestral

For the synth stuff, eh. Maybe these

Omnisphere
Zebra 2
Dune 3
Legend
Synthmaster 2

Those are pretty much the ones I go to most of the time. That's a pretty small section out of the 100 plus soft synths I own.

And I guess a lot of this has to do with that I was making music when there were a handful of synths that you could actually find in a music store and buy. Forget about whether or not you could even afford them. (Hello $4,000 for an Oberheim 4 voice)

So I've learned to do more with less.

Truth is, if you can't make music with the synths that are already out there on the market, even if not one more synth ever gets created, then you're simply not trying.

But if it's simply a question of you liking to buy synths just for the hell of it, then God bless you. Have at it.

I'm done chasing that merry-go-round.

wagtunes wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:51 am Here's my take on all this, listening to some of the arguments about what we need, don't need, what sounds good, what sounds like crap and so on.

The other day, somebody told me they don't like Geddy Lee's voice. That it actually makes them cringe. I love Geddy Lee's voice and wish I could sing half as good as him.

Point is this. All of this, and I mean ALL of this, is 100% subjective. No two people are going to agree on everything. The question is, is there enough of a demand from consumers to warrant creating "XYZ" synth, whether it be an emulation or something new. I don't think there's one person here who knows the answer to that unless they're actually in the business and have sales figures.

Personally, and again, this is just MY opinion, I don't care what comes out from here on in. I have more than enough synths to make all the music I want to make. There can't possibly be anything that anyone comes out with at this point that is going to make me go "I can't do the song I want to do unless I have THAT synth."

Thus, I am no longer a prospective customer. But somebody else will be. And they'll be a prospective customer for a certain kind of synth or maybe any kind of synth. Some people literally buy everything that comes out. I used to be that way. Then I looked around and said "What the hell am I doing with all these synths?" These days, I use a handful of them. Most of them, I could probably get rid of and not miss them. I'd be more lost without...

Pianoteq
MODO Drums
MODO Bass
Real Guitar, Les Paul, Strat, Rickenbacker
Warp IV Brass & Woodwinds
EWQL & VSL Orchestral

For the synth stuff, eh. Maybe these

Omnisphere
Zebra 2
Dune 3
Legend
Synthmaster 2

Those are pretty much the ones I go to most of the time. That's a pretty small section out of the 100 plus soft synths I own.

And I guess a lot of this has to do with that I was making music when there were a handful of synths that you could actually find in a music store and buy. Forget about whether or not you could even afford them. (Hello $4,000 for an Oberheim 4 voice)

So I've learned to do more with less.

Truth is, if you can't make music with the synths that are already out there on the market, even if not one more synth ever gets created, then you're simply not trying.

But if it's simply a question of you liking to buy synths just for the hell of it, then God bless you. Have at it.

I'm done chasing that merry-go-round.
You must’ve JUST stopped chasing that merry-go-round since MODO Drums was just released... Dune 3 is pretty new as well! I’m just teasing, because I’m just as bad about “not buying anymore plugins!” :wink:

BlackWinny wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:04 pm Could it be possible on KVR to talk about old synths without having SYSTEMATICALLY persons who piss on those who ask for emulations of old synths ? It is precisely the purpose of THIS THREAD !

There are tons of threads for everybody on KVR !
There seems to be a level of immaturity or intolerance that is unique to music software forums. On gaming forums do people berate each other for wanting a new game? On audiophile forums are folks criticized for wanting a new cartridge for their turntable? I'm no saint, but when I see a discussion about a new eq plugin I might think "wow, that's the last thing in the world I want" but it doesn't occur to me to enter that discussion and tell people they're stupid for wanting a new eq plugin...
Last edited by abernathy on Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

deleted

wagtunes wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:51 am Here's my take on all this, listening to some of the arguments about what we need, don't need, what sounds good, what sounds like crap and so on.

Point is this. All of this, and I mean ALL of this, is 100% subjective. No two people are going to agree on everything. ...
(Geddy Lee's voice - that was, of course, me :hihi:

And to be clear, I'm not criticizing him as a singer. Jon Anderson was a great vocalist and I also love Yes, I just don't care for his voiceI. I never cared much for vocals in the higher range in general - male or female - my fiance is a singer with a beautiful mezzo-soprano voice; if she were a soprano, I don't know if things would have worked out :wink: )

The Polymoog had a 24 db filter, but was it the same as the Model D? I don't have Legend but have Diva, and find I don't program many poly patches with that filer (or the Moog-inspired oscs, for that matter). I don't know that it's just the 24 db slope; certainly other poly synths had 24 db, though for poly I tend to be drawn toward 12. I've got plenty of soft synths with 24 db filters that I seem to get along with better - maybe just need to up my sound design game.

In any case, been meaning to demo the PolyM (never been disappointed in Xils). That being covered, I think we still could use a solid CS80. Would seem to be in Xils's wheelhouse (hint-hint).

For that matter, whose up for a Cat Octave emu? Chroma Polaris - I remember being blown away by one at; Wags - may have been at Rondo Music on 22! Someone must have mentioned Andromeda...

JoeCat wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:59 am That being covered, I think we still could use a solid CS80. Would seem to be in Xils's wheelhouse (hint-hint).
Isn't the Memorymoon one good enough? It's even native 64-bit now.
http://www.memorymoon.com/me80.htm

e-crooner wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:03 am
JoeCat wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:59 am That being covered, I think we still could use a solid CS80. Would seem to be in Xils's wheelhouse (hint-hint).
Isn't the Memorymoon one good enough? It's even native 64-bit now.
http://www.memorymoon.com/me80.htm
It may be - I need to take another look (I think I was put off by the GUI size, etc, which has since been updated?)

Truth is, not ever owning a CS80 and only going by comparisons / reviews - which are always mixed - I'd be hard-pressed to say how close the me80 or Arturia's really are, and worse can't say why it should matter. Unless you are reproducing specific patches or programming around the edges, even ok emulations (that get the features right and capture the "essence") are usually serviceable. If some filter doesn't get the resonance just right at over 80%, for example, that's going to certainly matter to some and should be noted in a review, but it shouldn't necessarily put off the average user. It's like "BMW advertises a top speed of 190 but it's actually 185".

I think there's just something about knowing that a design really nails it that's attractive.

In any case, will look at the ME80 again, especially at that price.

jbuonacc wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:20 pm
layzer wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:59 pm fk new analog emus... gimmie accurate SY77 and VFX emus
for free, of course... and 32-bit. :hihi:
yea... just a dream :clown:
but honestly, i can make just about every sound imaginable
with what i have now. so.....meh....
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I;d love to see any/all of the PAiA catalogue emulated: synths and effects. great stuff! :phones:

Return to “Instruments”