Wavesfactory releases Cassette

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cassette is an audio plugin that imparts the unique character and sonic imprint of an often maligned recording medium. A one that offers a sound like nothing else and that I’m in love with. This is not a tape machine, this is a time machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik98fyL91hc

Cassette has been designed to be fun, pleasant to the ear and true to the medium.

Cassette is an audio plugin that emulates the sound of vintage cassette tapes and decks. It has been carefully modelled after exhaustive analysis of a high number of sound signals recorded into real tapes.

Magnetic tape is not a sterile media. It imparts its own sound signature to signals recorded into it. These include a different frequency response, frequency dependent saturation, high-frequency compression, hiss, asperity noise and much more.
Reproduction systems will also induce their fingerprint: wow, flutter, random high-frequency loss, crosstalk between channels, stereo unbalances and other.

All of these little quirks and random fluctuations have been modelled meticulously. Cassette imprints instant nostalgia, movement and analog feel all around in its path.

Randomness under control

System requirements:
Mac and Windows (AAX / VST / VST3 / AU), 64 bit.

Price:
Special intro price during November: €29
Regular price: €59

More info:
https://www.wavesfactory.com/cassette
Last edited by wavesfactory on Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

oh. my. word. it's beautiful.

My world is gone now. we now officially live in virtual realty.

That is a beautiful UI - good price too. Looking forward to checking this out.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

Looks and sounds amazing!
Also great demo video!
proud to produce warezless!
my Trap beatz:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4J14A ... -FzS9TNa2w

Tried demo, quite interesting thing (and intro price quite adequate). The only i noticed that switching for pro/home/micro modes not automatable, that not critical though (all rest automatable incl adv settings). Also need note that in the "re-cassette" 4x value it's quite CPU noticeable (about 19% to core) - although i think it's worth it - the effect during this is really interesting. And in usual 1x mode about 6%.

I.LOVE.IT

Yes, i think need grab it. There are some implicit sides working differently depending on the dynamics \ value of the input level (that especially can completely change processing form), such variability level is not often can met among lo-fi'zers. Very good.

I know zilch about DSP. How much of a plugin like this is 'modeling', and how much is EQ curves, distortion/saturation and various other soundalike fx put together? I must say I do like the sound of this from the video.

Vortifex wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:00 pm I know zilch about DSP. How much of a plugin like this is 'modeling', and how much is EQ curves, distortion/saturation and various other soundalike fx put together? I must say I do like the sound of this from the video.
Good one ! That's the kind of question I always ask myself when I try an analog emulation. :D
This question and another one : "How much does this GUI influence my ears ?" :hihi:

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

That is gorgeous, sonically and visually.

Thank you for the warm welcome you're giving to Cassette :)
c_voltage wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:22 pm Tried demo, quite interesting thing (and intro price quite adequate). The only i noticed that switching for pro/home/micro modes not automatable, that not critical though (all rest automatable incl adv settings). Also need note that in the "re-cassette" 4x value it's quite CPU noticeable (about 19% to core) - although i think it's worth it - the effect during this is really interesting. And in usual 1x mode about 6%.
Thanks for reporting this! In the next update the pro/home/micro switches will be automatable.
The re-cassette parameter is very CPU intensive because it's like having up to 4 cassette effects stacked.
Vortifex wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:00 pm I know zilch about DSP. How much of a plugin like this is 'modeling', and how much is EQ curves, distortion/saturation and various other soundalike fx put together? I must say I do like the sound of this from the video.
There are two approaches when modeling analog gear: circuit simulation (component level analog modeling) or 'black box' approach, also known as phenomenological. We recorded a high number of sound signals into the different cassette tapes and decks. Then we made exhaustive analysis of them to meticulously emulate how the analog equipment changed the sound. This is done not only by ear but by comparing using different methods both the raw digital input signals versus the analog processed ones.

Vortifex wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:37 pm
Endor-8o8 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:28 pm
Good one ! That's the kind of question I always ask myself when I try an analog emulation. :D
This question and another one : "How much does this GUI influence my ears ?" :hihi:
Wooden side panels always add around 10% betterness to the audio.
Wooden panels definitely add warmth and a more 3D feel indeed. :D :D :D

Dear Wavesfactory, please stop getting Dan to do your demo videos, it's costing me a fortune :D

Seriously though, nice work! I have another cassette plugin but this blows it away in terms of sound and features :clap:

PS. Now that this has been released, can we get the Spectre tube glitch fixed? :ud:

Return to “Effects”