One Synth Challenge #129: Lith by Soda Devices (TheNeverScene Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Lith

Any version of synthesizer crashes any Hosts in any combinations! VST 2/3, 32/64bit. FL Studio 10/12, Tracktion T6, VSTHost, SAVIHost. Why can this happen?

I'm finding that Lith behaves fine for MIDI recorded in Reaper, but leaves notes hanging for some imported MIDI files. It looks like the difference is that the imported MIDI files use note on events with velocity 0 instead of note off events. After manually editing the files to change these events to note offs, Lith behaves as expected. My understanding is that the standard says note on with velocity 0 should be treated as note offs, so I think the current behavior is incorrect.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

Not sure what would cause the crashing problem, IV!
Is it a problem with loading the synth or using certain parts of it? I know that some things on the GUI (anything involving control 5-8) will crash the synth.
If it's a loading/verification problem, you could try re-downloading. If the file got corrupted then it probably won't behave nicely.

Re: MIDI and note offs-- a NoteOn with velocity 0 should be treated as a NoteOff (with off velocity 0). That's part of the spec. But it's a somewhat older part of the spec and this makes me wonder where you are getting your imported MIDI from...
(no problem with it, I'm just amused :D )
mostly here for the One Synth Challenge
you can hear some of my newest music at: https://wrenharmonic.bandcamp.com/ or https://www.youtube.com/@wrenharmonic

It's exported from MuseScore.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

schiing wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:08 am I should probably pay your electricity bill - this is a lovely instrument! :D
:love:
ilmai wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:56 pm Here's a WIP version of my entry, still going to make the latter half more interesting and improve the transition and the mix if I have time. Feel free to use this as my final entry if I don't post another one :D I didn't really like the synth at first but ended up getting some usable sounds out of it in the end, especially since I started mostly using Bitwig modulators instead of internal modulation. The unique twin PWM knobs and FM oscillators were responsible for a lot of the sounds for this track.
I am really honored to hear that. And the track you made, I am very impressed, Excellent.

IV! wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:39 pm Any version of synthesizer crashes any Hosts in any combinations! VST 2/3, 32/64bit. FL Studio 10/12, Tracktion T6, VSTHost, SAVIHost. Why can this happen?
Thank you for trying a lot.
Could you tell me more about the situation as Leonard says.
FrogsInPants wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:41 pm I'm finding that Lith behaves fine for MIDI recorded in Reaper, but leaves notes hanging for some imported MIDI files. It looks like the difference is that the imported MIDI files use note on events with velocity 0 instead of note off events. After manually editing the files to change these events to note offs, Lith behaves as expected. My understanding is that the standard says note on with velocity 0 should be treated as note offs, so I think the current behavior is incorrect.
It looks like it's good to do that, and it'll be included in the next update.

Sorry to bother you again, This is a notification updated to 2.0.4.

Fixed a problem with preset dir in VST2. This was a fatal error.
It's really helpful to discover it. Thank you Richard.

And I think the keyboard signal path problem has been fixed.
I didn't notice because I was checking with the vintage Ableton(8).

After that, I returned Ctrl to 8.

I just tried to install Lith v2.0.4, as well VST2/3, Win32/64, in FL Studio and SAVIHost. Unfortunately the result is the same - The program stopped working. I never got to see Lith's interface in my Host, not that get to use control 5-8(

IV! wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:34 pm I just tried to install Lith v2.0.4, as well VST2/3, Win32/64, in FL Studio and SAVIHost. Unfortunately the result is the same - The program stopped working. I never got to see Lith's interface in my Host, not that get to use control 5-8(
Could you check if the following Dir exists?

C:\Users\[yourID]\AppData\Local\SodaDevices

This contains presets and setting files.
If it exists, I'd like to investigate it.
If so, Would you contact me via the website form?

SodaDevices wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:26 am This is a notification updated to 2.0.4.
https://sodadevices.com/

Nice one! :tu:
ctrl1-ctrl8 all now on front panel, got them working with no crash.
patch recall now working much better in the saved projects.

Thanks!

RichardSemper wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:34 pm
SodaDevices wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:26 am This is a notification updated to 2.0.4.
https://sodadevices.com/

Nice one! :tu:
ctrl1-ctrl8 all now on front panel, got them working with no crash.
patch recall now working much better in the saved projects.

Thanks!
Thanks a lot, Soda!

I've already got over 50 instances running, and after Richard's message I didn't dare to close the session until after I had finished the tune. I'll keep it open for now, but if something should happen, hopefully I can just install 2.0.4 and everything will be fine! (I've saved them as DAW presets as well, just to be on the safe side)

Just out of curiosity: Did the "re-ordering" happen when the program closed or when you re-opened it?
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

schiing wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:53 pm Just out of curiosity: Did the "re-ordering" happen when the program closed or when you re-opened it?
When re-opening the project.
During the session you may have saved patches in other than alphabetical order, and when reopening the project certain patches may have displaced each other, and so the wrong instance would get loaded for some of the tracks.
With the update installed I reloaded the previous file saved with the earlier version, and all the patches recalled correctly - even if I had deleted the patches from the hard drive. So I think you should be ok.
(However, the synth no longer links to which patch was saved, or recalls its name - so you may want to make sure your tracks are all named just in case)
Last edited by RichardSemper on Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RichardSemper wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:05 pm
schiing wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:53 pm Just out of curiosity: Did the "re-ordering" happen when the program closed or when you re-opened it?
When re-opening the project.
During the session you may have saved patches in other than alphabetical order, and when reopening the project certain patches may have displaced each other, and so the wrong instance would get loaded for some of the tracks.
With the update installed I reloaded the previous file saved with the earlier version, and all the patches recalled correctly - even if I had deleted the patches from the hard drive. So I think you should be ok.
Ah, that's reassuring. Thanks, Richard!
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

(However, the synth no longer links to which patch was saved, or recalls its name - so you may want to make sure your tracks are all named just in case)

RichardSemper wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:10 pm (However, the synth no longer links to which patch was saved, or recalls its name - so you may want to make sure your tracks are all named just in case)
Haha, no worries - I'm pretty anal about that sort of thing - but thanks!
list.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Instruments”