Available now: Tone2 Icarus2.5 - Wavetable Workstation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Icarus3

SLiC wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:41 am I tend to think of workstations being multi timbale rather than layering to make one sound. I’m not sure I would say this is a workstation, but it’s a very powerful and flexible synth!
I agree. The name 'workstation' comes from those kind of keyboards/synthesizers (in this context).
However, it feels like a wavetable workstation. Where one can go deep. The name seems kinda fitting that way.

It’s almost like it needs a new name...let’s think - waves, workstation.....Got it!

The Wavestation ;-)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

:tu: :tu:

CPU usage reduction in idle state.

Would it be possible to reduce the CPU usage in Idle state because 16 instances of Icarus 1.6 using 7% of a 16 thread CPU @ 3.6 Ghz and this is far to much.
16 instances of Serum in idle state using 0,5% with the same CPU and 16 instances of Hive 2 using 2-3% also with the same CPU.
This CPU usage is the case although I have activated CPU reduction of VSTis in idle state at my DAW (Reaper 5.9xy).

The idle performance of
Icarus2 has been enhanced.
You do not have to activate 'idle management' in Reaper. The synth does this automatically.
Last edited by Markus Krause on Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Markus Krause wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:32 pm Icarus comes with multithreading support. It distributes and balances the cpu load on up to 4 cores.
'idle' does mean that your cpu has lots of processing power left. In this case icarus uses more cpu load than if you are on a high cpu load. This dynamic cpu balancing helps to avoid audio dropouts and gives you the best possible experience on your system
Hi Markus,

thanks for the fast reply.
With idle I mean the CPU usage when no note is played on all 16 instances of Icarus 1.6 in the above example, only for clarification.

Cross post^^

MorpherX wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:19 pm CPU usage reduction in idle state.

Would it be possible to reduce the CPU usage in Idle state because 16 instances of Icarus 1.6 using 7% of a 16 thread CPU @ 3.6 Ghz and this is far to much.
16 instances of Serum in idle state using 0,5% with the same CPU and 16 instances of Hive 2 using 2-3% also with the same CPU.
This CPU usage is the case although I have activated CPU reduction of VSTis in idle state at my DAW (Reaper 5.9xy).
who uses 16 instances of any synth plugin?? (no really, am asking....)

Markus Krause wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:32 pm The idle performance of
Icarus2 has been enhanced.
You do not have to activate 'idle management' in Reaper. The synth does this automatically.

That's absolute great !!!

Many thanks for this, because this is very important if I or other users will load many istances of Icarus2 but not using them all at the same time.

fisherKing wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:52 pm

I am using much much more instances than 16 of a VSTi within a project, of course not at the same time.
It seems you have nothing to do with music composing !

MorpherX wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:01 pm
fisherKing wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:52 pm

I am using much much more instances than 16 of a VSTi within a project, of course not at the same time.
It seems you have nothing to do with music composing !
haha, my question tells you i have nothing to do with music composing? i make my living doing music; just scored a doc; have 2 platinum and 2 gold records; currently work with an (in)famous rock star. i keep busy... without using 16 instances of a single synth 8)

anyway, (to get back on topic), am excited about icarus2, and counting down the days... :tu:

The way of music composing can be very different !!!

If "You" using only few instances of a VSTi than it's an other kind of music than that what I do and you can not speak for all users.
It doesn't impress me if you have platinum or gold records and this even doesn't say something about the quality of that music.
In my view many "stars" with a lot of honour gets it for popular low quality music and thats not my feeld.

Adios Mr. fisherKing

MorpherX wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:34 pm haha, my question tells you i have nothing to do with music composing? i make my living doing music; just scored a doc; have 2 platinum and 2 gold records; currently work with an (in)famous rock star. i keep busy... without using 16 instances of a single synth 8)

The way of music composing can be very different !!!

If "You" using only few instances of a VSTi than it's an other kind of music than that what I do and you can not speak for all users.
It doesn't impress me if you have platinum or gold records and this even doesn't say something about the quality of that music.
In my view many "stars" with a lot of honour gets it for popular low quality music and thats not my feeld.

Adios Mr. fisherKing
[/quote]

yikes, all i did was ask you to explain your need for 16 instances of a plugin... you could have done that without the rudeness, or combative behavior.

but, this is kvr, so am not really surprised...

Yeh, but he makes ‘high quality’ music, not that popular commercial kind that people actually listen to, let’s face it, if you are not using 16.instances of the same plug in, your stuff can’t be high quality...

For what it’s worth, I am impressed you have gold records, even more impressed you can make your living through music!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:50 pm Yeh, but he makes ‘high quality’ music, not that popular commercial kind that people actually listen to, let’s face it, if you are not using 16.instances of the same plug in, your stuff can’t be high quality...

For what it’s worth, I am impressed you have gold records, even more impressed you can make your living through music!
ha, i'd probably be working more if i was on kvr less... but i love this place (despite the battles... or maybe because of them :hihi:)

meanwhile, i use icarus a lot, and can't wait for the 'new'...

Return to “Instruments”