Any downsides with Splice Rent-To-Own?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone had any experience?

Cheers :tu:

Just the risk of missing out on plugin discounts imo.

Absolutely cool.

OddPhase wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:31 pm Just the risk of missing out on plugin discounts imo.
Thanks! That's definitely what has stopped me up until this point.

Once the plugins have been fully paid off, are they subject to the same license terms of the developer, or is everything under a unique Splice license. For instance, if the developer normally allows for this product to be license-transferred, does that still hold?

classic wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:34 pm Absolutely cool.
Sweet! Cheers :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:44 pm
OddPhase wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:31 pm Just the risk of missing out on plugin discounts imo.

Once the plugins have been fully paid off, are they subject to the same license terms of the developer, or is everything under a unique Splice license. For instance, if the developer normally allows for this product to be license-transferred, does that still hold?
I was curious about this as well, so I checked their FAQ. It's definitely not normal licenses across the board, as D16 licenses become NFR. I found nothing regarding reselling licenses from other companies.

riddim83 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:13 pm

I was curious about this as well, so I checked their FAQ. It's definitely not normal licenses across the board, as D16 licenses become NFR. I found nothing regarding reselling licenses from other companies.
Thanks! I'd already checked the FAQ on Splice, but maybe you are referring to a specific D16 FAQ.

riddim83 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:13 pm It's definitely not normal licenses across the board, as D16 licenses become NFR.
Wow, that's super lame.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:20 pm

Thanks! I'd already checked the FAQ on Splice, but maybe you are referring to a specific D16 FAQ.
The rent-to-own help center on Splice has one general FAQ and a number of developer-specific sections. I found this in the D16 section: https://support.splice.com/hc/en-us/art ... _site=true

There are similar FAQ pages for all the other developers, but those don't mention NFR one way or the other unless I missed it.

I bought Serum via Splice. Since Serum nearly never goes on sale (afaik), I didn't miss out on sales. The license I got for Serum seems to be a regular Xfer license.

riddim83 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:35 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:20 pm

The rent-to-own help center on Splice has one general FAQ and a number of developer-specific sections. I found this in the D16 section: https://support.splice.com/hc/en-us/art ... _site=true

There are similar FAQ pages for all the other developers, but those don't mention NFR one way or the other unless I missed it.
Ah, ok! That's a different FAQ to the one I read. This makes it very clear.

Thanks!

schmerzschlag wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:36 pm I bought Serum via Splice. Since Serum nearly never goes on sale (afaik), I didn't miss out on sales. The license I got for Serum seems to be a regular Xfer license.
Thanks!

Seems to be up to the license vendor as to how they handle the question of transfers.

Return to “Instruments”