One Synth Challenge #129: Lith by Soda Devices (TheNeverScene Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Lith

Digging the synth, but can't figure out the envelopes and mods at all. Feel like I have to set them up completely backwards to get what I want. Probably been covered, but toooooo lazy to read the thread. Any enlightenment would be mucho appreciando!
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

TheNeverScene wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:26 am Digging the synth, but can't figure out the envelopes and mods at all. Feel like I have to set them up completely backwards to get what I want. Probably been covered, but toooooo lazy to read the thread. Any enlightenment would be mucho appreciando!
What are you trying to do? It might be backwards :D

TheNeverScene wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:26 am Digging the synth, but can't figure out the envelopes and mods at all. Feel like I have to set them up completely backwards to get what I want. Probably been covered, but toooooo lazy to read the thread. Any enlightenment would be mucho appreciando!
Don't know what your problem is, just guessing. I think it could be caused by the modulator mapping with those two points, left and right and the transformation curve inbetween.
I'm not an expert but as far as I have figured it out:
The two dots, left and right, are there to map to the modulators min and max value. So for instance lets say an adsr envelope usually starts with 0 meaning no sound and ramps up to 1 meaning full sound during atack phase, then 0 is the min value and 1 the max value.
The secret of the dots is, that lowest setting is -1 and setting in the middle is zero.
So if you add an envelope, and at the same time bring left dot down to -1 and leave right dot you have a mapping from
ENV [min:0, max:1] --> [ -1, 0 ] which in my eyes means inversion.
A setting of [min:0, max:1] --> [-1,1] is the traditional "bipolar" LFO...

Then there comes the curve setting in the modulator set up: In neutral setting this will be a linear mapping If you set left dot to 0 and right dot to 1, it will be a mapping to identity, i.e. if the modulator currently would have the value x then actually the value x is used.
With a different curve setting this is not true, because not only can you use negation as discussed, like x --> -x when left dot is zero and right dot is -1 but different functions inbetween.
In case of Envelopse it allows you to have linear curves between the stages or exponential curves for instance.

Again, this is only what I think I understood from my few experiments... to lazy for rtfm ... btw is there a manual?

Have there been any updates to Lith synth the start of this contest?

Great sounding synth but am experiencing some problems. On Mac, Logic Pro X.

- sometimes playing notes on keyboard does not trigger notes - can't figure out logic to this but if I jump up an octave seems to work again.

- tried using the Logic arpegiattor and Lith did not respond well. Seemed to miss note offs, so ended with a huge wall of sound - lots of notes hanging. Poly mode. Reducing the release times to almost nothing seemed to fix this, at least some of the time.

THANKS!

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:12 pm Again, this is only what I think I understood from my few experiments... to lazy for rtfm ... btw is there a manual?
As far as I can see, this is the closest thing to a manual https://sodadevices.com/lithDocument - based on your post, you might have just volunteered for the job :wink: :D

However, Lith is in beta right now, so I suppose it would be unusual for the manual to be completed this early in the process. Great synth, lots of fun to use. The crop setting helps a lot, as well as being able to resize - it might be my imagination, but does cropping improve CPU usage?

So here is my stuff (if i have time this month i will revisit it)

https://soundcloud.com/impedancemusic/i ... ng-osc-129

After the discussion on the last OSC about layering, fx use etc. i thought maybe i´ll try to do us much with the synth itself as i can. Of course the whole sound isn´t completely the „naked“ Lith VST, i had to use some fx, but i think it´s a good compromise between „naked Synth“ and fully processed track. I also tried to avoid automations – nevertheless i used automation on the tempo of the track, because i think it is really fitting (i guess i don´t have to mention that the fade out is automated too). Also no layering! There is only one sound per instance (allthough i duplicated some instances, they never play at the same time).

Because i want to be as transparent as i can, you´ll find every information what i used on which track in this (probably too long – sorry for that) list below (Tr = Track):

Used 31 instances of Lith – No Layering! All sounds created from init Patch.
Master:
Fruity parametric EQ2, Mcompressor_2, Fruity parametric EQ2, Fruity Limiter, that EQ thing under the FX Slots (i swear i´ve never touched the EQ thingy under the FX Slots in FL Studio, but somehow it has a curve in it?? I don´t know how that could happen XD)
Analyzis:
Manalyzer_2 Free, Youlean Loudness Meter 2

Tr1: MP7 Kick – No FX
Tr2: MP7 Quijada – Fruity Delay 2 [Automation* on Panning, „Channel Controlls → Panning“]
Tr3: MP7 Hats and Tambourine – No FX
Tr4: MP7 Rim – No FX
Tr5: MP7 Bongos – No FX [Automation* on Panning, „Channel Controlls → Panning“]
Tr6: Dance Kick – Fruity Parametric EQ2 (Had no Filter left to cut at 240Hz)
Tr7: Dance Snare – No FX
Tr8: Dance Hats – NoFX
Tr9: Pitched Snare – No FX
Tr10: Filter Pad – No FX
Tr11: Sine Pad – Fruity Reeverb 2 (used to give it more space, Dry 100%, Wet 33%)
Tr12: Simple Bass – No FX
Tr13: DX7 Piano 2 – No FX
→ two instances for Panning Left & Right, Right sounds filter is more opened
Tr14: Synthbrass – Fruity Delay 2 (was necessary for the mood)
Tr15: Sidechain Bass – No FX
→ two instances: i created the sidechain effect with the envolopes, so i had to adjust the values as the tempo changes
Tr16: Sidechain Pad – No FX
→ two instances: i created the sidechain effect with the envolopes, so i had to adjust the values as the tempo changes
Tr17: Calling Lead – i don´t know why i actually send that track to the next track
Tr18: ^ Delay of the main Lead Synth – Fruity Delay 2 (like Tr14, it was important for the mood)
Tr19: Broken DX7 (FM E-Piano) – Fruity Reeverb 2 (sounded too empty, Dry 100%, Wet 27%)
Tr20: Its Glitch (Synth Solo) – Fruity Reeverb 2 (sounded too empty, Dry 100%, Wet 69%)
Tr21: Techno Bass – Fruity Parametric EQ2 (collided with the Dance Kick Drum)
Tr22: Pulse Sweep – No FX
Tr23: Chip Chords – No FX
Tr24: Noisedrop – No FX [Automation* on Panning, „Channel Controlls → Panning“]
Tr25: Noisesweep – No FX

Total: Equalizers: 5, Compressor / Limiter: 1+1, Delay / Reverb: 3+3, 3rd Party: 0 → 13 FX total

* The only real automation („create automation track“) i´ve used was for tempo changes (and fade out). For the panning stuff, i used to ‚draw‘ the curves inside the track itself – FL Studio doesn´t declare them as automation tracks so i´m not sure if i should call them automations.

Nevertheless it was actually really interesting experience with limitating myself so much, i will definitely do it again! And i have the feeling that i got a much better mix and mastering with little to no effect… Am i right with that or do i just imagine that? XD
"We should not kill the earth, we wouldn´t know where to bury it!" - Michel Granger

Thats true, in that early phase or build up of a synth...the envelope stretches fits to the given place. He know about that visual feedback.

And yes they are very strange, hard edges and so on, but it work...you can do something with it.
Envelope work like every adsr + you can edit the curve it self for every part. If you hear clicks than in most cases you need to edit Attack or Release to fix it, in other cases you can turn up the Quality.

The modulation stuff is pretty interesting. Look for instance at the LFOs. A rather unusal feature is the "Sym" switch and PWM... at least for my experience. I have used this stuff to do something like "a pattern", i.e. coordinate LFO1 and LFO2 in a way like shown in the picture. The reasoning behind this is, when LFO1 is somehow active then LFO2 is flat and vice versa. Now you can use this to mod various parameters, for instance use LFO1 for OSC1 volume and LFO2 for OSC2 volume... Find the Patch in the attached zip file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kavokei wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:38 pm
] Peter:H [ wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:12 pm Again, this is only what I think I understood from my few experiments... to lazy for rtfm ... btw is there a manual?
As far as I can see, this is the closest thing to a manual https://sodadevices.com/lithDocument - based on your post, you might have just volunteered for the job :wink: :D

However, Lith is in beta right now, so I suppose it would be unusual for the manual to be completed this early in the process. Great synth, lots of fun to use. The crop setting helps a lot, as well as being able to resize - it might be my imagination, but does cropping improve CPU usage?
CROP SETTING???? Where might that be found? Thanks.

Thanks for the tips on the envelopes! I think I might just be making things harder than they are, so I'll pay more attention to what's going on.

@Zarf, everything I do is backwards! lol
@PeterH, that sketch sounds great. I love that little pause on that bass line riff.
@Impedence Music, I think your mix is spot on for that RetroWave style I think your going for there.
Last edited by TheNeverScene on Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

ontrackp wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:04 pm CROP SETTING???? Where might that be found? Thanks.
cogwheel* :wink:

************ W I P only *********** **** not a submission!!! *******

I'm doing a jazz noodle thing … 4 sections of noodling! Here's the "sax" noodle … only a bit of EQ and reverb on the sax! This is a WIP only

Enjoy

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/noodles-wip

capracan wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:37 pm This is my one and only Challenge Comment, i will maybe update the Track here. !!!
EDIT: new track up, presets out now, to give you a perspective how to use this tool and what can it do... :)
->> viewtopic.php?p=7568541#p7568541
:tu:

Here's my entry for OSC #129.

https://soundcloud.com/terjefjelde/braz ... nnection-1

In the spirit of last month's debate on instances, authenticity and all that, here are my stats with some random detail:

47 instances of Lith from init
74 Studio One audio channels
16 Studio One folders with buses
8 FX Channels (delay and reverb)
No multi-instance instruments...
...but lots of perc ensemble panning, doubling, tripling, etc.

FX: TAL Reverb4 (1), Dragonfly Room (1) and Hall (1) Reverb, DD Delay (5), ProEQ (29), SonEQ (1) MjucJr (7), DC1A (1). No modulation on reverb or delay.

Master: 3 ProEQ's, StereoToolV3 and SA Unlimited.

Enjoyed this synth a lot. I often use SonEQ and/or BootEQmkII for some mellow in my mix - Lith simply didn't need any. Also, thanks to TheNeverScene for nudging me in the right direction on a couple of conundrums.

- - -

(If anyone's interested: Here's a zip with some of the presets I used for this track, along with some info)
[TMO] Lith_KVR_OSC_129.7z
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by schiing on Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Please upload the presets you use, here are very nice sounds...can´t belive its from lith...very cool.

Return to “Instruments”