Cubase 10.5 is here now....

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Artist 13 Cubase Elements 13 Cubase Pro 13

noiseboyuk wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:07 pm Reaper is about twice as efficient as Cubase
Based on what evidence ? The reality of different between these two DAWs is actually negligible, having been proven from a comprehensive comparison test between a range of DAWs posted on the Presonus Studio One forums some years ago..
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

simmo75 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:04 pmInteresting how different machines can garner such different results. On my iMac Pro, Live 10 uses way more resources than anything else. Logic and Cubase 10 perform the best.
That's the standard actually. Cubase had issue with OS X years ago with low buffer settings but they solved that and for most people Cubase performs on par with Logic and DP10, Reaper gets a tiny amount more...

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:06 pm
noiseboyuk wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:07 pm Reaper is about twice as efficient as Cubase
Based on what evidence ? The reality of different between these two DAWs is actually negligible, having been proven from a comprehensive comparison test between a range of DAWs posted on the Presonus Studio One forums some years ago..
I did a bunch of tests myself actually, both multi and single core performance Reaper could handle vastly more, as I say about double. VE Pro feels about the same to me in use as Reaper. I hate Reaper btw, ghastly DAW, but it IS very efficient.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Are you saying that Reaper can play twice as many voices in a VSTi than Cubase? No way... i remember i made a test once when Diva came out (not very scientific though), and, in Reaper, i got once voice more with a patch i could play about 6 voices until i ran out of CPU.

Also, about every test i've seen proved what THE INTRANCER mentioned, that the differences are there, but, mostly negligible. No offense meant, but, if you measured something in such a scale, i think your tested must have been a bit flawed.

chk071 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:15 pm Are you saying that Reaper can play twice as many voices in a VSTi than Cubase? No way... i remember i made a test once when Diva came out (not very scientific though), and, in Reaper, i got once voice more with a patch i could play about 6 voices until i ran out of CPU.

Also, about every test i've seen proved what THE INTRANCER mentioned, that the differences are there, but, mostly negligible. No offense meant, but, if you measured something in such a scale, i think your tested must have been a bit flawed.
Yeah on the dark side in OS X, it's the same. About 10-20% more than DP10 or Logic, and most people report Cubase as on par with Logic track count wise.

I sometimes choose to use DP or Reaper over Live because Live is more like 40% less CPU than those DAWs, but you're not really going to notice 10-15% and barely notice 20%.

2017: November 15, v9.5
2018: November 13, v10
2019: ? v10.5
My guess: November 13

Cubase is great if adding tons of vst3 FX like Fabfilter, you can have hundreds of audio tracks stacked with fx no problem. It intelligently suspends vst3 processing when no audio is passing through. It’s with certain vst instruments it starts to overload the CPU and not release even when idle, such as Kontakt. This is where Logic and Bitwig are the two best I’ve seen on OSX, even better than Reaper. Bitwig is especially good at this since you can tell it specifically to suspend any plug in when no audio is passing through - try loading up dozens of Massive X, Repro-1, Serum, Reaktor in other daws and they overload and can’t playback. Bitwig can keep them all in the session and the cpu isn’t barely moving if they aren’t being used.

But I wouldn’t want to arrange hundreds of tracks in Bitwig since it doesn’t have all of the visibility options and shortcuts Cubase does, you can get lost quickly. I also really appreciate how I can almost do everything without touching the mouse in Cubase, the flow between windows and tabbing and shortcuts allow for that. I can be in any window and hit the key command to search media bay and it takes me there and I can type a word and deep search an my folder, press a key command and place that midi loop/audio file at an exact spot on the arrange view. Such a fast way to work - Bitwig is also very good at this in its own way, don’t know any other DAW that can find anything as quickly.

10.0.5 is out now. Does anybody have the issue where it freezes on export audio mixdown? So frustrating. :x
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ramseysounds wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:31 pm 10.0.5 is out now. Does anybody have the issue where it freezes on export audio mixdown? So frustrating. :x
No, all good here but I did clean up a few other issues with a complete wipe and reinstall.
Also, can we change the thread title again please? It's still garbage...

Shouldn't have to though. Had to do a complete pc restart every time I want to export :roll:
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

kdogg wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:57 am Bitwig is especially good at this since you can tell it specifically to suspend any plug in when no audio is passing through - try loading up dozens of Massive X, Repro-1, Serum, Reaktor in other daws and they overload and can’t playback. Bitwig can keep them all in the session and the cpu isn’t barely moving if they aren’t being used.
The CPU dies very very quickly if they are being used though.
Bitwig, Live, and MPC2 are by far the most CPU hungry DAWs on my system when it comes to simultaneous playback of VSTi's, none of them hold a candle to Logic, DP, much less Reaper.

I mean it's a nice idea for huge arrangements with multiple instruments that come in and out of a mix to have processor saving when a VSTi3 isn't playing MIDI, but it's a bit disingenuous to paint Bitwig out to be CPU efficient, it's not.

Googly Smythe wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:37 am 2017: November 15, v9.5
2018: November 13, v10
2019: ? v10.5
My guess: November 13
2014: Wednesday December 3
2015: Wednesday December 2
2016: Wednesday December 7
2017: Wednesday November 15
2018: Wednesday November 14

I have the release emails from Steinberg and my receipts for upgrades (which I have always gotten on the day of the release). So Wednesday, November 13 is a GREAT guess...but it could also fall as late as early December. But likely on a Wednesday.

However, they also mentioned trying to keep Nuendo and Cubase on a similar release path...so no telling what that means moving forward.

Its clear Catalina has been a big PITA for SB (among others); have set my expectations for a Cubendo release(s) in early/mid December this year... :neutral:

PS:- agree with @thejonsolo dates; add
Dec 05 2012 for v7.0.0
Dec 04 2013 for v7.5
Last edited by thebutler on Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Win10; i7 4790K; 16Gb RAM; GTX750Ti; Cubase Pro v13.0.30; WaveLab Pro v11.2.0; S1 v6.5.2; UR44 audio/MIDI

So, there's an "upgrade Wednesday" at Steinberg, every year :wink:
Fernando (FMR)

machinesworking wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:28 am
kdogg wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:57 am Bitwig is especially good at this since you can tell it specifically to suspend any plug in when no audio is passing through - try loading up dozens of Massive X, Repro-1, Serum, Reaktor in other daws and they overload and can’t playback. Bitwig can keep them all in the session and the cpu isn’t barely moving if they aren’t being used.
The CPU dies very very quickly if they are being used though.
Bitwig, Live, and MPC2 are by far the most CPU hungry DAWs on my system when it comes to simultaneous playback of VSTi's, none of them hold a candle to Logic, DP, much less Reaper.

I mean it's a nice idea for huge arrangements with multiple instruments that come in and out of a mix to have processor saving when a VSTi3 isn't playing MIDI, but it's a bit disingenuous to paint Bitwig out to be CPU efficient, it's not.
Yeah my preferred way of working is to keep throwing ideas at the canvas and not think about how many of which fx or VSTi I’m using, BUT if I were to stack let’s say 15x Repro-1 and 15x Massive X and 15x Kontakts all playing simultaneously then..... (quick DAW stress test ensuing in 3....2....1.....)

Added VSTi’s in this order:

15x Repro-1 “Big Berty” preset
15x Massive X “Advanced Optics” preset
15x Kontakt 6 Heavyocity Damage “organic loops”

All the latest versions of plug ins and DAW’s, all at 512 buffer / 44.1khz and all playing a four bar loop triggering C3 on a whole note every bar. Mac OSX 10.14.6 - Trashcan Mac Pro 3.5ghz 6 Core 32gb ram

Logic Pro X - couldn’t play back after adding Massive X’s, didn’t even get to the Kontakts.

Reaper 5 - playback didn’t work after about 7 Massive X’s

Bitwig 3 - could play back all and if moving the playhead away from the big stack of midi and playing individually the CPU drops back and resets. All VSTi’s set to “Suspend: When Silent” mode.

Massive X is obviously the heaviest, but Bitwig was the only DAW that could pull this off - Logic and Reaper wouldn’t reset the CPU even if moving the playhead away from the stack, CPU meter would remain slammed with Logic and Reaper CPU wouldn’t be slammed but couldn’t handle the playback. Cubase couldn’t really hang after 15x Massive X’s alone, I didn’t try to even add Repro or Kontakt.

If you have a different stress test idea I’m sure there is a scenario where Bitwig falls short, don’t want come off as “disingenuous” so I at least had to investigate a quick and dirty real world test. I don’t think Bitwig is perfect obviously but it impresses with how much I never think about CPU when using it.

Still love Cubase though!! I know I’ll be updating no matter how unexciting the new update is (on Wednesday). Back to topic lol.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”