Searching for daw that saves its audio & ext samples within the project

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I opened reaper and the audio wavs I used are all over the place or missing. Also when saved in the reaper folder reaper does not understand from itself where to look for the files, every time I have to look them up manually.
I used renoise in the past and it saved all its audio and samples within the project file.
Are there daws that also use that method ? I am tired of searching and correct the paths to my audio.

All DAWs - except Reason - do that. Incl. Reaper.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=206365

1st option up top

Last edited by antic604 on Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Thank you. Too bad I did not know about this before . I have a lot of work now recovering my projects (where possible)

K82 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:08 pm Thank you. Too bad I did not know about this before . I have a lot of work now recovering my projects (where possible)
What you mean? It's right there in the settings. Aren't you starting using software by watching tutrials, reading manual, going through the menus and analysing the options & settings??

I know this ^^^ sounds like sarcasm, but I'm still baffled people don't do it...
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:54 pm All DAWs - except Reason - do that. Incl. Reaper.
Yep.

For Reaper, I'd also recommend going to the Project Settings and setting a location for recorded and imported files - https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/ ... ings#Media - in the example in the wiki, each new project will be given a sub-folder called 'Audio Files'. Because this is a per project setting, you should probably save this as the default project setting.

Also, to consolidate your existing projects...

Set the Preference indicated by Antic
Set the Project Settings media location
Open old project
Locate the samples when prompted (use the search function, it's pretty quick)
Save the project using 'Save-as' back to the original folder, make sure to tick the 'copy samples to project folder' option.

antic604 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:23 am
K82 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:08 pm Thank you. Too bad I did not know about this before . I have a lot of work now recovering my projects (where possible)
What you mean? It's right there in the settings. Aren't you starting using software by watching tutrials, reading manual, going through the menus and analysing the options & settings??

I know this ^^^ sounds like sarcasm, but I'm still baffled people don't do it...
Reaper has a TON of preferences and settings and requires way more work than any DAW to get up and running. I love Reaper, don't get me wrong, but it's biggest strength (customization) can also be it's biggest weakness. It's real easy to miss preferences like that considering there's a million things you need to do/review to configure Reaper to your liking. Also, if you're coming from another DAW, where these types of things just happen by default, you may not be aware that Reaper controls this via a preference.

Frankly, I think a few of Reaper's default preferences, like this one, suck. I'd estimate that 80% of users would prefer to copy their media into the project folder. So why not enable it by default and save new users the headache? There's probably 30 other settings where an 80/20 or 90/10 rule could apply. Same for some Project Settings like creating a sub-folder for audio. Personally, I'd like to see someone like Kenny Gioia put together a good "basic configuration for new users" and have that be made available publicly, if not the new default. I'd say most users are doing music production in Reaper, and Kenny's videos on the key preferences pick good settings for that task, so let's make some of this stuff default*.

That said, to the OP I say this: it sucks that your old Reaper projects require you to go hunting for these media items, but if you fix it going forward, you don't need a new DAW. Also, for any new user I'd say it's a good idea to watch Kenny Gioia's series on Reaper preferences.

*If Reaper offered one of those "let us track some stuff and gather data for feedback" options, with the intent of doing this to find out what percentage of users set certain preferences or use which features/actions, I'd happily participate. I'd trust Justin and Schwa with that type of data collection. Which is probably the same reason they won't do it.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”