SEKTOR by Initial Audio

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Sektor

I finally got around to trying this after having purchased it on one of the ultra-cheap deals. Wow! Nice sound. Competent UI. Freely-zoomable UI! It's approachable and understandable. I do get it that it lacks some desirable features, but at a bargain price it is very usable and fun.

Sektor is a really interesting thing. It seems to be very polarising - people either love it or hate it with not a lot in between. I think that's down to expectations. If you download the demo with certain expectations based on other wavetable synths, it doesn't seem to measure up but if you take it on its merits, it's easy to find things to like about it. I think it is probably the last wavetable synth I would get rid of, just because I like the way it sounds and how easy it is to work with.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Not a fan of Sektor, IMO it's not worth 15 bucks, I wouldn't even take it for free tbh. It's filters are garbage and over all It's not worth the pixel real-estate it's name would waste in my plugin browser window. Most DAW's stock synths are better than this.

How are the filters "garbage"? I think they work quite well, mostly thanks to the drive you can put into them. I especially like that it has a good notch filter, something missing from far too many synths.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I just installed Sektor but....

bad:
- it freezes 3 times Bitwig 3.2 DAW when editing envelope. (oh, now 4 times) :x
- the very simple envelope has a zoom knob :dog: why ever
- i see not wich wavetable is loaded because no information, just the waveform is visible
- the deeper wavetable option is limited, looks minimalistic
- you dont see wich lfo/env is connected where
- Color editing (you can colorize all key, white, black, envelope, font) but no restore or reset,wrong edit you will not see black font on black background very well :dog:
- you can route more than 4 times a LFO but u can not edit the other ones, just the 4
- GUI in depth looks bad

fazit and goods
- sounds good
- mseg
- is not a special synth, so its more like all others
- wavetable playaround can be funny
- osc + give you more editing what is nice also
- filter editing is okay
- fx routing is okay like in serum, change order and so on
- you can choose the 2 filter as input for 2 the FX Racks
- for me is actual unstable, maybe a reboot of computer can work

Sektor is a good synth -- easy to work with has a great sound. The only wonky part is their wavetable import which usually doesn't work (and wasn't initially included ) -- they've patched it here and there but it still doesn't work right half the time.

Having said that, its installed and I only use it for exactly 3 sounds I created with it and use occasionally.
Have you tried Vital?

Still advertises MPE but its broken since the very first version... No hope of being fixed ever...

quality and stability... can you get it for 15? I have a "little" doubt.

Well, I paid much more... It sounded promising... Such is life...

Just tested Sektor and whilst the sound is quite good (even if not great) and I like the GUI, I find the wave/-table editor too clumsy to edit. There should be a freehand pencil and secondly it should be possible to make two points with the mouse and then to choose the shape of the curve/line and to adjust it with dragging (similar to the Cableguys plugins)!

Why? Are you a musician or a computer programmer? If you want to get in and edit your wavetables, buy something else. I'd rather have my appendix removed with a pair of rusty scissors than edit a wavetable.

Return to “Instruments”