UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Luster wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:12 pm Please excuse if this was asked before.

My goal: Control with a macro the intensity of the modulation (ADSR) on a (keygroup) filter in both(!) ways.
AFAIK this is not possible with the submodulation macro - the ratio dial there is limited from -1 to +1. It will always modulate only in one direction of the filter frequency.
Using a mapper leads to a modulation spanning over the whole range starting from the current set value (so it goes not in one direction but in both). But this leads to a quite unintuitive handling of the two parameters filter freq. and envelope amount. And even than the main goal is not accomplished: making the macro actually bipolar.

Any ideas are very appreciated.
Assign two envelopes and a macro flip button to enable one way and disable the other way?

MIDI Out: How to, why not??

All the new features and sounds for Falcon 2 have totally reignited my love for this device, truly an unparalleled tool‚ thank you UVI!

But, at the same time, this has doubled my frustration at not being able to get basic MIDI Out from it—ALL those fascinating MIDI tools, locked up.

Inside a fabulous prison to be sure, but still: Locked up. Sad.

Please?

David wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:05 pm MIDI Out: How to, why not??

All the new features and sounds for Falcon 2 have totally reignited my love for this device, truly an unparalleled tool‚ thank you UVI!

But, at the same time, this has doubled my frustration at not being able to get basic MIDI Out from it—ALL those fascinating MIDI tools, locked up.

Inside a fabulous prison to be sure, but still: Locked up. Sad.

Please?
I love the new Falcon as well, but am curious as to what you mean. Could you give a couple of examples of how you would use its "midi tools' if you had MIDI OUT?
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Sure, here's one example:
I could place Falcon VST on a MIDI track in Live and send its MIDI out (taken from any of Falcon's amazing and often unique Event devices, scripts, etc, stacked up or alone) to any other track with a plugin synth or sampler, AND record and edit the MIDI data as well.

I can already do exactly this with any Kontakt library that has MIDI scripts, as well as Kontakt itself, with no samples loaded, using only its very deep and interesting built-in Factory MIDI scripts. They work great driving Falcon:)

I can do the same thing in Logic loading Kontakt VST inside BlueCat Patchwork, and capture/re-route all MIDI output to a new track/instrument.

sircuit wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:20 pm Assign two envelopes and a macro flip button to enable one way and disable the other way?
Good idea! That worked but of course it is way more trouble to handle two envelopes than one (assign macros carefully doubled), when they actually have the same purpose. That's a big weakness in the modulation department and hope the CPU overhead is not too big. There are currently over 1600 keygroups loaded.

Thanks!

Plaid featured in the new Computer Music mag... there's a video of a session and some good looks at their use of Falcon and some scripts they made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2GNxgQ ... =emb_title

Nice. First time I see something a script that advanced made by some users.
Do you know why the video is not listed on Computer Music YouTube account ?

Thanks for letting us know.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

otristan wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:02 am Do you know why the video is not listed on Computer Music YouTube account ?
I think they use unlisted links for videos in their magazine.

Bought my copy a few weeks ago. What I'm really missing is resynthesis from wav, editing of wavetable, resampling from one oscillator to another (wavetable of sample for example).

It's very close already, I have to think the gui to the additive oscillator is the beginning of a wavetable editor. I was a little surprised after I bought it that it had no built in way to do it. Even Zebralette has something.

Resampling would also be huge, something like Serums resample to wavetable.

Regardless, really enjoying learning it. The effects are top notch, especially filters and dynamics, sound quality in general is incredible, sound design possibility unbelievably exciting. I sat and played with a simple vocal sample for like an hour just last night. It's been a while since I've enjoyed a plug-in as much.

otristan wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:02 am -
Would be possible to have non-aliased wavetable osc source in the future?

sircuit wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:54 pm
Could you clarify what you mean by that ?

Like you take the sine wavetable and play a note very high and you have aliasing ?
or something related to phase distortion or FM ?
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

otristan wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:01 pm
sircuit wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:54 pm
Could you clarify what you mean by that ?

Like you take the sine wavetable and play a note very high and you have aliasing ?
or something related to phase distortion or FM ?
Yes indeed, the simple high sine-wave test.

Consider that you're stretching that single cycle sine for a LOT of octaves then. If you want your CPU to wave the white flag, sure... :D

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:25 pm Consider that you're stretching that single cycle sine for a LOT of octaves then. If you want your CPU to wave the white flag, sure... :D
I think I am missing some technical knowledge and/or understanding. Serum for example has this "draft" mode where the sound exhibits aliasing then the 2X and 4X setting, where there is no aliasing. The default is 2X. Am I missing something by suggesting that Falcon's wavetable should offer 2X oversampling?

LE: Just found out that Serum's oscillator is coded by a mathematician, not Steve Duda himself, but still, I think UVI should be able to pull off the same level of quality.

I definitely would sacrifi math accuracy for cpu freedom, or rather due to i found aliasing quite fun feature for various experiments, i would say it's additional hidden synthesis method (its not joke). And it's sad that in recent times programmers often neglect this, doing the killing for cpu by things that are not audible anyway, or in octaves that are not used in traditional music, I urge to keep life for these unusual digital organisms at least there.

Return to “Instruments”