Behringer TD-3 Analog Bass Line Synthesizer

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

FYI

As the td-3 uses the original way of sequencing, the original tb 303 manual can be a handy thing to get your head around the sequencing.

https://archive.org/download/synthmanua ... manual.pdf

acid alex wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:19 pm
Mike Janney wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:09 pm
Reefius wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:49 am People who think a 303 needs sound presets really don't get the point of a 303. You don't "dial up a sound" on it, you just press play and start turning the knobs.
Even the ABL3 plugin doesn't have presets, because it's simply not needed. The only thing you need to be able store and recall are the patterns. Both the original TB-303 and the Behringer TD-3 have pattern memory, and on ABL3 you can store an unlimited amount of patterns on your harddisk.
We kind of have presets (i.e store knob position with pattern), but most users don't use this feature because as you mention it's not really needed.

Looking forward to getting my hands on a TD-3, hopefully we can implement an import pattern feature from this :)
I was looking to import a midi file to ABL3 last night but couldn’t find an option? Thought that’d be possible seeing as you can export one and we have the other import options. Or I have I missed it?

I think the TD-3 software can import/export midi files so it would be an easy way to transfer patterns between the two.

Cheers
Alex
You can't import a MIDI file directly, what you can do is load the midi file into your host and activate STEP REC mode in ABL3, it will then capture the midi notes into the internal sequencer. Alternatively set ABL3 to Note Mode and just play the midi data from via the host. Hope this helps!
AudioRealism
www.audiorealism.se

Stefken wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:33 am
JoeCat wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:57 am In the studio I'm not sure what the purpose would be
I guess it's purpose would be to make music. :clown:
It's iconic for a reason.
Acid music would be the obvious choice but it has it's place in various genres.
Carbon Based Lifeforms has used it to great effect in their Ambient tracks for example.
:D - nah I get the 303, I should've been more clear - not sure what the use would be as opposed to some of the current emulations out there - unless it sounds significantly better. Though I guess with the 303 there is a bit more to the hardware UI in terms of the general vibe of tweaking that can't be replicated as well with software and even a good MIDI controller. At this price it's a guilty pleasure.

As far as its musical usefulness - long live the squelch - I'm on board.

BONES wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:20 am
I think this is where a lot of you fall down a lot of the time, you cannot think logically.
Logically, you are correct, a synth with patch memory is superior to one without patch memory.

Trouble is the kids today were not born then when analogue monosynths became poly and were upgraded with patch memory.

And then analogue became digital and all the old analogue stuff was thrown in the dustbin.

Its all new to them and they see things in a different way - and logic is not part of the equation.

Also - not sure how close the current emus are, but I seem to remember going back to the Jeskola Buzz days some machines doing a decent job - seems like this filter doesn't benefit as much from more modern ZDF implementation?

For sh*t's and giggles I looked at going prices of the original - $2,000 ?!? - that's some nostalgia value!

dellboy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:00 pm
BONES wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:20 am
I think this is where a lot of you fall down a lot of the time, you cannot think logically.
Logically, you are correct, a synth with patch memory is superior to one without patch memory.
In my opinion a synth that sounds like crap but has a patch memory is not better than a synth that sounds amazing without a patch memory.

Also Modular Synth (which almost never has patch memory) are a different type of synthesis experience all together for people, who dont want the synth designer to define the architecture. Some people may argue that this is the more superior form of synthesis as it is witout limitation, but obviusly it depends what you want to use the synth for....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

It's not a bug, it's a feature ;)
Originally, TB-303 patterns were totally scrambled when battery was removed. So people kept removing these batteries only to create new, random patterns.

That's the nature of an instrument. Like, with guitar, you can't play two notes on same string. It somehow didn't make people abandon guitars once polysynth were invented :P. Simply, different instrument and its limitations yields different results.
When people ask me how to "compose" "oldschool electronic", I just tell them to pick a simple sequencer instead of any other fancy instrument they can play, no matter the skill.
Last edited by DJ Warmonger on Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

SLiC wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:16 pm
Also Modular Synth (which almost never has patch memory) are a different type of synthesis experience all together for people, who dont want the synth designer to define the architecture.
Like I said.

Illogical.

The history of synthesis is evolving backward.

rob_lee wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:46 pm Never mind found them and ordered :-)

https://www.andertons.co.uk/keyboards-p ... ynthesizer
Looks like we got a bargain, the price has gone up now to £129. Had an email from them this morning accepting the order :tu:
Check out my YouTube channel for dose of Acid: https://www.youtube.com/acidalex

dellboy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:31 pm
SLiC wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:16 pm
Also Modular Synth (which almost never has patch memory) are a different type of synthesis experience all together for people, who dont want the synth designer to define the architecture.
Like I said.

Illogical.

The history of synthesis is evolving backward.
Hmmm, I was doing this stuff when the DX7 came out and pretty much killed of the analogue market. I am not sure if it’s progress or evolution, just different.

I believe Synthesis in its truest form is it it’s greatest height with the current hardware modular scene. No presets, but complete creative freedoms every system/synth is unique...that was what attracted me to synths over say the piano, having a unique sound, not 1000s of presets of stuff you have already heard before....So yes, to me we are moving in the right direction with low cost CV instruments that people can be creative with.

I would also say making hardware synthesis affordable is definitely moving forwards....I paid 1600 for my DSI Profit 8 over ten years ago...650 for my 12 voice DM12 (with a great fx engine)...now people are picking up an analog 303 for a ton....thats progress to me,
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:17 pm
I believe Synthesis in its truest form is it it’s greatest height with the current hardware modular scene.
And yet you would have been first in line for a Buchla series 500 digitally controlled analog synth in 1971.

Illogical.

dellboy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:02 pm
SLiC wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:17 pm
I believe Synthesis in its truest form is it it’s greatest height with the current hardware modular scene.
And yet you would have been first in line for a Buchla series 500 digitally controlled analog synth in 1971.

Illogical.
You make my point very well, I couldn't afford any synth in the 70's and I cant afford a Buchla now!

It has to be affordable, flexible and sound great for me to be interested - sometimes that may mean sacrificing digital control (presets). Software is pretty much the only thing that gives you all 3 and convenience, but at the cost of your soul :D

Saying synths without preset memories are useless (Odyssey, Model D, Pro 1, MS-20 etc The CS-80 only had 4 user memories) is frankly just a bit strange to me, but as I said, I don't play synths live and I don't have any problem dialing up the sounds I want in my studio very quickly, and that's the bit I enjoy.

acid alex wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:42 pm

Looks like we got a bargain, the price has gone up now to £129. Had an email from them this morning accepting the order :tu:
Yeah BUT I just went to order the other 2 at £99 but they put the prices up to £129 c**ts :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

rob_lee wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:36 pm
acid alex wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:42 pm

Yeah BUT I just went to order the other 2 at £99 but they put the prices up to £129 c**ts :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good thing they never had the red one on the site last night or I would've ordered the trio :party:
Check out my YouTube channel for dose of Acid: https://www.youtube.com/acidalex

Reefius wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:36 amAnd everyone here except BONES is an idiot :lol:
Why am I not an idiot? I'm a complete idiot, I am stupid enough to assume that other people might be capable of rational thought. Idiots don't come much bigger than that.

But, of course, the context got lost over multiple responses. The original context was that whoever posted "plays" a 303 by turning the knobs while the sequencer triggers the notes. It is so far removed from playing a guitar or a keyboard that I don't know how else you'd categorise it but in the same way you categorise playing with toys.
JoeCat wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:57 amThe Odyssey was a bit more complicated by the small switches and (IMHO) a slightly more convoluted layout, but you could get used to it.
Interestingly, the Odyssey's layout was designed so that it would be much easier to patch on stage, so instead of grouping everything as it relates to the signal path, they tried to put things close to each other that you are likely to want to change at the same time. I'm not sure they achieved their aim, I still find it mighty confusing.
Still, no one I knew played more than a few patches in a set (and yes, I gigged in my teen years, in the 70s - my first synth was an Arp OMNI - simple enough that I could get away without patch memory, and we were the only band with a poly synth around :) )
I had a Korg Delta for the same reason - it only had a handful of controls and it was easy to patch quickly, whilst being paraphonic to the hilt (like an organ, it played as many notes as you could hold down keys).
But in the 80s, playing with a DX7 (LMAO at THAT without patch memory!), Matrix 6, Casio CZ etc. - no way. We used vastly different patches often within the same track.
Yeah and I'll bet your music was all the better for it.
sometimes you just like a knobby piece of hardware at this price.
Hard to argue with that logic.
Stefken wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:33 amIt's iconic for a reason.
Yes, because people are brainless idiots. If whoever created that acid baseline had used a different synth, then that one would be iconic. And it ain't like there aren't dozens of synths that could have been used.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”