Suggested vst package for synthethized tones composition

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
I would like to compose with eletronic/synthethizer kind of sounds, not necessarily any specific kind of genre, but rather use the sounds to play around genres.

I dont look for automatic drums, loops, cause i find hard to compose with these, im looking for a variety of interesting tones to work with.

Im new to this thing of synthethizing and its possibilities seem quite amazing, i realize eletronic sounds are often done manually this way, but unfortunatelly i dont have much free time for music right now, in order to study It steadily.

Is there a good package of vst/synthetized/analog imitation sounds for a composer to work with? I really dont know If i should go for a synthetizer like serum, u he diva etc and use pre-made presets or for a package of vsts like NI, omnisphere or other solution... Thanks.
Better than this only the silence. Better than the silence only John.

Look at MuLab (www.mutools.com). It’s a modular synth environment, like a DAW and a synth in one. It’s well-designed for you to explore making your own tones, which is much more flexible and creative than using samples.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

The truth is that 80% of sounds can be done with 80% of synths. It's up to personal preference, goals, and years of research ;)

Can't go wrong with NI. They've got romplers (recent Play series), conventional synthesizers (Monark, Massive) and many weird-ass synthesizers too. Plus, it's full of tagged presets with a tool to browse them.

On the other hand, if you pick one synth and just stick with it, the chance is that you learn something in the process. For the purpose of learning, I recommend getting a hardware synth (Neutron, Minilogue) and just jam with it.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:00 am For the purpose of learning, I recommend getting a hardware synth (Neutron, Minilogue) and just jam with it.
I agree that this is good advice. I wish I'd gotten into hardware much sooner. It's been years since I've had much of anything left to learn about the basic functions and interactions of synth modules, but if I had the immediacy of a hardware synth at my disposal I think the learning process would have been both more expedient and more fun.

The fact that Neutron can be had for under $300 (I got mine for $225) is kind of ludicrous. Like one and a half softsynths.

on the other hand, the behringer synths can't be used to control softsynths really, which is kind of a bummer. I find it's way, way more fun to map an actual synth to control a VST synth. I've had Push 2 for years but only started using hardware to control synths when I got a Sub 37

u-he Zebra2 is a pure synthesis engine and does a lot of synthesis types, can cover a lot of sounds, and it does everything well, + there's plenty of presets for it to get you started.

(+ you can also use its entire engine as an insert FX)

While I would agree that MuLab could be a good starting point, also keep in mind that there are plenty of options that you can use to get started for free. VCV Rack gives you a ton of options to go deep into exploring how synthesis works with just the freely available modules. Or if you want to get started with a full digital audio workstation, you can grab Cakewalk by Bandlab or Tracktion 7, and add in excellent free plugins that will let you explore various types of synthesis: Synth1 for subtractive with tons of presets, Dexed for FM, Surge for wavetables, Modulair or VeeSeeVST (VCV Rack variant as a VST plugin) and many more. Just use the KVR search and set it to look up free VST synthesizers...

or maybe try Syntorial to get better understanding about Synth and get the best out of it

If you just want presets, which is what the OP sounds like to me, I recommend buying an extremely popular synth or two, and either just using the presets that come with them, or buying some additional patches as well.

Some examples that come to mind are Omnisphere, Serum, Massive, and almost any U-He synth. Actually, I guess there’s also Nexus, which is just a rompler.

Yeah, maybe Nexus is the thing.

kvotchin wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:12 am If you just want presets, which is what the OP sounds like to me, I recommend buying an extremely popular synth or two, and either just using the presets that come with them, or buying some additional patches as well.

Some examples that come to mind are Omnisphere, Serum, Massive, and almost any U-He synth. Actually, I guess there’s also Nexus, which is just a rompler.

Yeah, maybe Nexus is the thing.
Yes! The op mentions not having much time for making music, so a synth with a good library would likely be the best advice. And for that, I’d suggest Omnisphere.

Nexus is also an option, but even trying to cover half the ground of Omnisphere will cost a lot more. Besides, Omnisphere is a very powerful synth, in it’s own right, with tons of great sample source material. This means that when the op does eventually have more time to dig deeper, it’s all there waiting.

There are definitely other great synths, with great presets. However not many cover the breadth of Omnisphere’s content; at least not without spending a ton more on preset packs. Even then, not many synths have such quality choir, guitar and orchestral sounds at their disposal.

It's so 'meta' how everyone's answers to a simple question are so different!
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:52 am It's so 'meta' how everyone's answers to a simple question are so different!
Things would become easier to navigate if we filtered out suggestions that didn’t fit with the op’s needs ;)

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:02 pm
Michael L wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:52 amIt's so 'meta' how everyone's answers to a simple question are so different!
Things would become easier to navigate if we filtered out suggestions that didn’t fit with the op’s needs ;)
But then it wouldn't be a music thread. It would be a tech or an appliance review thread. I found my favorite software from a Music Radar review that hated it.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:12 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:02 pm
Michael L wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:52 amIt's so 'meta' how everyone's answers to a simple question are so different!
But then it wouldn't be a music thread. It would be a tech or an appliance review thread. I found my favorite software from a Music Radar review that hated it.
I don’t mean it like that. Every recommendation is valid, until you factor in the fact that the op seems to be looking for ready-made sounds. And yes, he uses the word “synthesising”. However, in the context of the rest of his post, I’m assuming he just means the practice of making music with )I could be wrong).

The key is that he doesn’t have much time, and so has mentioned synths or suites of synths to use their sounds. That’s why I think recommendations for Mux or VCV Rack are wide of the mark.

I see what you mean. I suggested MuLab because it has synth presets within a composition environment, so it would be easier to 'play around genres.' However, Omnisphere / Nexus could also be interpreted as being perfect because more ready-made. Different emphasis.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:33 pm I see what you mean. I suggested MuLab because it has synth presets within a composition environment, so it would be easier to 'play around genres.' However, Omnisphere / Nexus could also be interpreted as being perfect because more ready-made. Different emphasis.
Don’t all daws offer synth presets within composition environments? ;)

I would recommend Omnisphere over Nexus because out-of-the-box it just covers greater breadth. More than than that, it being a full-blown synth makes it a lot more flexible than Nexus, should the op later develop an active interest in synthesis.

Having said all that, if the op doesn’t have much interest in the non-synth sound presets of Omnisphere, then there are many cheaper alternatives that can offer a lot of preset goodness e.g SynthMaster (Even the ‘Player edition’ would be worth a shot for someone not interested in much more than flicking through presets and playing)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”