Bitwig Studio 3.1 announced!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://youtu.be/Nfv5Lvi9w-w

Pitch is a fundamental cornerstone of music, and Bitwig Studio 3.1 is tuned up with new exciting ways to work with pitch and scales. Based on Bitwig Studio's unique way to work with micro-pitch information, our new Note FX device Micro-pitch lets you dynamically retune notes, import existing scales and define your own.

Welcome to Bitwig Studio 3.1:
New device: Micro-pitch
New modulator: Pitch-12
New Grid modules: Pluck, Slope ↗, Slope ↘, Follower, Transpose
Interactive Help view is coming to all Bitwig devices
Quick Draw, Quick Slice and Slice in Place
Note Chase
Cue Volume and Mix controls
Sampler imports standard wavetable WAVs
Improved tempo detection for audio files
New controller scripts and Bitwig controller scripts are now open source
Read the full release notes here: https://downloads-eu.bitwig.com/beta/3. ... 1568282952
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I installed cubase 10.5 last night. And now Xmas has come.
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

Note chase :clap:

Nice other things too. :)

Note chase = midi chase? Did they finally added it? :D

Oh yay, maybe my pestering paid off, I'm really interested about those new scale and pitch options!

Taika-Kim wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:42 am Oh yay, maybe my pestering paid off, I'm really interested about those new scale and pitch options!
Damn, I need to bother them more often then, because there's almost nothing interesting for me this time :(
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:46 am
Taika-Kim wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:42 am Oh yay, maybe my pestering paid off, I'm really interested about those new scale and pitch options!
Damn, I need to bother them more often then, because there's almost nothing interesting for me this time :(
Me neither, still no comping = still most of my work is done in Studio One (but I love to use BWS when I am not recording audio live). At 3.1 it remains the best (and most fun) creative and clip based DAW for me, but still not realy in the game as a linear or normal compositional DAW.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Pretty underwhelming. It looks like they don't care about fixing old bugs (some of them even from v1.0).

I doubt anyone whose upgrade plan recently ended will pay $160 for this.

Yeah I'll probably wait to see the next release before upgrading my plan.

Here is the full list- actually there are some midi workflow improvements (draw action etc) buried under the headlines...I'm weakening...code....may....get....activated......to ..get...beta...

Mac: reduced GPU (graphics processing) load - may be a Biggy for some?!

Changes in Bitwig Studio 3.1, Beta 1

Expanded Pitch Features
New device: Micro-pitch, allowing micro- and macro-tuning of each note type, octave interval, and Scala (SCL) file import (for scales of seven or 12 notes)
New modulator: Pitch-12, providing a modulator source for each pitch class (C, D, etc.) when played
New Grid module: Transpose (Pitch category), for creating chords with or without signal input (with Stereo-ness options)
30+ tuning presets are already included, of various origins:
Theory-based tunings, using the overtone (Otonal) and undertone (Utonal) series, Quarter-tone ET, and even A4 = 432 Hz
Historic temperaments, including scales from Pythagoras, Werckmeister, Broadwood, Euler, and more
Cultural tunings, including a number of traditional Chinese instruments (such as Ti-tsu 7 (flute), Yang-chin 7 (dulcimer), and Yün-lo 7 (gong-chime)), as well as the Javanese Chromatic 7, which is the source for various mode (like pelog, dangsoe, bem, barang, etc.)
Artist-made tunings, either as concepts (Ives's Stretched Major, Wendy Carlos Optimized, and Johnston that blends the overtone and undertone series) and scales used for particular works (Partch from Harry Partch's "Two Studies on Ancient Greek Scales", and Blues – Harmonic, used in Ben Johnston's "Suite for Microtonal Piano", Wendy Carlos's "Beauty in the Beast", etc.)
Original performance-minded tunings, which reshape the keyboard and coax new and unexpected outcomes from even experienced players (such as Beating Lydian, Phrygische Mütze, and Constant Portamento, which glides every note from a defined root)
All of these presets are tagged with scale and tuning
For frequency parameters (like filter frequency or EQ band), the window footer now shows frequency + pitch

New features
Quick Draw action: holding [ALT] with the pen tool will draw multiple notes at the current beat grid interval
Quick Draw action: drawing defaults to a single pitch for each note (think hi-hats), but adding [SHIFT] allows various pitches to be drawn (like a step sequencer)
Quick Slice action: holding [ALT] with the knife tool will cut any clip/event at the beat grid interval, for as far as you drag the mouse
Quick Slice action: slicing snaps its initial cut position to the beat grid, but adding [SHIFT] allows an off-grid starting position
Slice In Place function: will slice any selected clip(s)/event(s) at the detected audio Onsets, the set Beat Markers, or at a set beat grid interval
Interactive documentation for any device/module by selecting it, and then pressing the [F1] key or clicking Show Help in the Inspector Panel (device documentation is in progress and will be completed by official release)
Cue / Preview Volume control now exists in the Studio I/O Panel (and can be mapped via context menu)
Cue / Preview Cue Mix control now exists in the Studio I/O Panel (and can be mapped via context menu), setting the balance between the cue and master outputs
Note Chase option: when enabled (Dashboard > Behavior > Resume Playback), starting the transport in the middle of a note will sound the note (if more than a half-note duration remains)
Sampler (device and Grid module) now imports wavetables WAVs with the "clm" metadata chunk (as used by Serum and others)
Audio paths can now be added from any audio I/O chooser (Add Buss… option)
MIDI controllers can now be added from any MIDI I/O chooser (Add Controller… option)
New Grid module: Pluck (Envelope category), an envelope generator modeled after a plucked string, with a built-in amplifier for easy connection
New Grid module: Slope ↗︎ (Envelope category), a slope shaper for rising signals
New Grid module: Slope ↘ (Envelope category), a slope shaper for falling signals
New Grid module: Follower (Envelope category), a symmetric envelope follower with configurable math
New controller scripts: for the Novation Launchpad Pro, Arturia KeyLab MkII 49/61, Arturia KeyLab Essential 49/61, PreSonus Atom, and PreSonus FaderPort 8/16
Controller API: added Arpeggiator/Note-repeat functionality to NoteInput class
Controller API: New high-level API for defining low-latency hardware controls and simplified script development

Improvements
In Clip Launcher: + button now appears when hovering over empty clip slots, for inserting clips from the Pop-up Browser
Improved tempo detection when bringing audio into a project
Audio fade handles are easier to grab on shorter fades, especially when zoomed out
Steps, LFO, Random, ParSeq-8 & Sample and Hold modulators: now use modern timebase options, correctly uses the beat unit multiplier, and properly follow time signature changes when set to bar units
LFO & S/H LFO modules: properly follow time signature changes when set in bar units
EQ-DJ device: visualized crossover frequencies are now interactive
Ladder device: frequency modulation amounts are all set in semitones now
Window footer shows both the set parameter value and the currently modulated value (when a modulator is mapped)
Mac: reduced GPU (graphics processing) load
APC40 MKII controller script: using the Shift + Record/Session buttons toggles arranger recording and automation recording

Fixes
Note audition was sounding wrong notes when moving them with arrow keys in drum editor mode
Sustain pedal messages (CC64) were not returning to 0 when stopping the transport
Grid Envelope modules: visualizations were broken when curvature was set to 0 %
HW Clock Out device: some parameters were improperly disabled when not in Clock mode
Diatonic Transposer device: some scales were buggy
Deselecting a clip did not work when selection cursor pointed to unselected clip
When using the scroll wheel while performing a rectangular selection in audio expression editor (pitch or formant), the selection rectangle moved instead of growing in size
VST Multiout chains were getting muted when adding VSTs to chains based on order
Mac: while dragging a clip, the tab key did not work to switch between Arrange and Mix views
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Reefius wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:14 pm Pretty underwhelming. It looks like they don't care about fixing old bugs (some of them even from v1.0).
What are these bugs? Have you tested 3.1 Beta to see of they still exist or are you just guessing (they dont list all bug fixes, just headlines)?

I'll check it out later today when I'm at home, but I doubt they fixed these bugs:

- New plugin windows open behind other plugins
- Controllers not always resetting to default state when quitting Bitwig
- Softube VST3 plugins not working properly

Reefius wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:29 pm I'll check it out later today when I'm at home, but I doubt they fixed these bugs:
For what its worth....

- New plugin windows open behind other plugins

I don't seem to get this on a PC (just tried- all last windows on top)- are you on a PC?

- Controllers not always resetting to default state when quitting Bitwig

I have had this happen with my Panama P6, but it also happens sometimes after leaving Cubase or Studio One so I am not 100% convinced that (for me) this is a BWS issue, I just accept it happens sometimes!

- Softube VST3 plugins not working properly

Dont have Softube stuff but VST3s seem to be an issue (still!) in most DAWS (even Cubase blacklists half my VST3s and its there bloody protocol!) - Not making excuses for BWS, it should work, I assume it works in all other DAWS?

Mac: reduced GPU (graphics processing) load - may be a Biggy for some?!
I think the whole GUI still is fully drawn by CPU, but there were some reports of Mac users using OS scaling or so in combination with bitwig (OS scaling is done in the GPU), and then had heavy GPU load. Or it were some specific models. So the whole problem still is not really fixed. As far as I understand it.

Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”