Bitwig Studio 3.1 announced!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:47 pm
Mac: reduced GPU (graphics processing) load - may be a Biggy for some?!
I think the whole GUI still is fully drawn by CPU, but there were some reports of Mac users using OS scaling or so in combination with bitwig (OS scaling is done in the GPU), and then had heavy GPU load. Or it were some specific models. So the whole problem still is not really fixed. As far as I understand it.
On the other hand, the rescaling of the Bitwig GUI now is really fast, so maybe there is GPU involved now? :o

Ahhh sod it...I'm in... I have had my cheap ($118) code since July, I get this and everything next year- can only be good :-)

'Pitch-12' has me intrigued (damn you BWS, how do you think of stuff I dint know I needed ;-)) and I think the scale stuff may actually be interesting in the way I use BWS (a lot of CV stuff to my modular). Use with the new Quick Draw could be interesting, if nothing else its some new scales to try with my pan drum VST's ;-)

Interactive Help on every device is also realy, realy cool- no more manual, ever!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:44 pm - New plugin windows open behind other plugins

I don't seem to get this on a PC (just tried- all last windows on top)- are you on a PC?
Yes, Windows 10. It doesn't seem to happen with all plugins. If you have Fabfilter Pro Q2 or Q3 try this:
Open an instance of Pro Q2/3 and while the plugin window is still visible, add another instance. For me it opens behind the first instance.
SLiC wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:44 pm
- Controllers not always resetting to default state when quitting Bitwig

I have had this happen with my Panama P6, but it also happens sometimes after leaving Cubase or Studio One so I am not 100% convinced that (for me) this is a BWS issue, I just accept it happens sometimes!
The only time this happens to me in other DAW's is when there's a crash. Never had this happen with just properly quitting any DAW. With Bitwig it's always a gamble, but most of the times my controllers (NI KK MK2 and Korg nanoKontrol) don't get reset.
SLiC wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:44 pm - Softube VST3 plugins not working properly

Dont have Softube stuff but VST3s seem to be an issue (still!) in most DAWS (even Cubase blacklists half my VST3s and its there bloody protocol!) - Not making excuses for BWS, it should work, I assume it works in all other DAWS?
What plugins does Cubase blacklist? For Izotope stuff this is normal, because the blacklisted files are NOT the actual plugins but support files in DLL format. So it's basically a good thing these are blacklisted, because otherwise Cubase would try to scan them on every startup.
Any DLL that is not recognized as a 64 bit plugin is automatically blacklisted in Cubase. So if you're still using some 32 bit plugins they will also be blacklisted.

As for VST3 in general, I rarely encounter an issue in any DAW. It's just Softube VST3 plugins that cause audio crackles and CPU spikes in Bitwig. No issues with these VST3 plugins in other DAW's like Cubase, Ableton Live, FL Studio or Reaper.

The interactive help would be nice, I've been wanting that since it was introduced for the Grid.

Also quick draw is a welcome addition. I wonder if it works for touch screen though. They seem to have neglected that functionality lately.

Reefius wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:22 pm As for VST3 in general, I rarely encounter an issue in any DAW. It's just Softube VST3 plugins that cause audio crackles and CPU spikes in Bitwig. No issues with these VST3 plugins in other DAW's like Cubase, Ableton Live, FL Studio or Reaper.
I head someone said Softube acknowledged this problem with Bitwig Studio and would fix it in a future version (which nobody knows when it's going to come). Do the VST2.4 versions of the plugins work?
Peace, my friends. I'm not seeking arguments here. ;)

poonna wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:40 pm
Reefius wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:22 pm As for VST3 in general, I rarely encounter an issue in any DAW. It's just Softube VST3 plugins that cause audio crackles and CPU spikes in Bitwig. No issues with these VST3 plugins in other DAW's like Cubase, Ableton Live, FL Studio or Reaper.
I head someone said Softube acknowledged this problem with Bitwig Studio and would fix it in a future version (which nobody knows when it's going to come). Do the VST2.4 versions of the plugins work?
Yes, VST2 works fine.

SLiC wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:13 pmInteractive Help on every device is also realy, realy cool- no more manual, ever!
I actually hope that's not Bitwig's line of thinking, because most people don't ask what knob x or y do, but how to achieve certain workflow things, which won't be covered by interactive help :(
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

• Note Chase option: when enabled (Dashboard > Behavior > Resume Playback), starting the transport in the middle of a note will sound the note (if more than a half-note duration remains)
This somehow seems to be stillborn.
Only chase notes with >50% duration from playback position? Why not 10%, or 5... Tough luck if you're an ambient/drone kinda person....

[Edit] - actually, I possibly read that wrong; is it half-of-the-note, or half-a-whole-note? IMO, if a note is under the play cursor when playback starts, it should chase.
Last edited by neverbeeninariot on Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Is the grid now capable of 1 sample unit feedback loops , or is it still dependent on buffer size ?
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

neverbeeninariot wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:15 pm I possibly read that wrong; is it half-of-the-note, or half-a-whole-note? IMO, if a note is under the play cursor when playback starts, it should chase.
I understood it as "half note" as in, two beats in 4/4. Which isn't that great either -- I often just use really slow tempos, so a half note could still be a while! IMHO it should be adjustable in seconds, default 1s, minimum 0 (as in, "always play if under the cursor").

It doesn't affect me personally that much since I tend toward hardware sequencing and manually playing about 90% of the time these days, rather than MIDI sequencing.

I'm a little curious about the pitch stuff. It's kind of a shame the Scala import is for 7 or 12 notes since 5TET is one of the things I like to play with on occasion, but I can always insert dummy notes into it I suppose.

The Follower grid module might be handier than setting up slew. Otherwise there's not much in this I am excited about, but that's okay because I just got Bitwig a couple months ago and I'm still just generally thrilled with it ;)
Last edited by foosnark on Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Note FX Micro-pitch has no effect here. It doesn't seem to change the outgoing MIDI at all. Maybe I just don't know how I'm supposed to use it, but putting in before a synth device on a track doesn't seem to alter the resulting scale.

killmaster wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:56 pm The Note FX Micro-pitch has no effect here. It doesn't seem to change the outgoing MIDI at all. Maybe I just don't know how I'm supposed to use it, but putting in before a synth device on a track doesn't seem to alter the resulting scale.
Mmmh... I guess this will work only with Bitwig devices...

stamp wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:59 pm
killmaster wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:56 pm The Note FX Micro-pitch has no effect here. It doesn't seem to change the outgoing MIDI at all. Maybe I just don't know how I'm supposed to use it, but putting in before a synth device on a track doesn't seem to alter the resulting scale.
Mmmh... I guess this will work only with Bitwig devices...

The Micro-pitch device works with MPE-Ready VST plug-ins, as well as with Hardware via CV.

loungepanda wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:10 pm
The Micro-pitch device works with MPE-Ready VST plug-ins, as well as with Hardware via CV.
:tu:

Another reason to justify buying more CV controlled gear ;-)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”