Anyone tried Spitfire Audio's free Labs plugin implementation....?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I used the Choir in my latest. Sounds quite good, I think. I was underwhelmed by the Amplified Cello sec.

Frozen Strings they released today is interesting

01 - Spitfire Audio - Labs - Choir Long
02 - Arturia - Grand Piano

https://soundcloud.com/user-919732565/cinetik-piano

:!: :?: :?: Can anyone direct me to the best tutorials on LABS? Kinda confusing: The frozen strings always shows up on the list even though i try to switch to another instrument group.

ALSO: Is this good for playing MIDI files I've written the melody for? Or is the intention to be used with a keyboard? Seems like I have a hard time getting it to boost the audio levels without cranking in the channel~!

Thanks.

Don't everyone yell @once :P

Midi comes out of your keyboard as well, the plugin doesn't know if it is pre written or comes from a keyboard. It's possible your velocity values are lower and inconsistent using a keyboard, but you can use midi effects to adjust velocity before it hits the plugin.

lajosuti wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:39 am Midi comes out of your keyboard as well, the plugin doesn't know if it is pre written or comes from a keyboard. It's possible your velocity values are lower and inconsistent using a keyboard, but you can use midi effects to adjust velocity before it hits the plugin.
Thanks. Just manly wanted to know if it was MIDI-compatible :tu:

CC1 and CC11 are crucial. Frozen Strings so far in my usage has had a tricky response to that control, particularly at low velocities.

I was excited to try these instruments as I have all their previous "donationware". Unfortunately, even though I followed their tutorials on how to repair the plugin, it doesn't work at all. I've sent them an email but at this point, I'm just tired. I've been on this for a couple of hours now and feel I should have done something else. I don't understand why they decided to go with a convoluted process. All the other companies that use similar processes make it flawless and easy (NI, XLN Audio, AmpleSounds, etc.).

Edit: Got it working by clicking on the "!" on the top left. The solution was simple. lol

Downloaded most of these currently. Like many I guess, gave it a shot to see if the strings were any better compared to other offerings.

The downloads aren't small and I was afraid if these would take too much ram (I prefer to avoid Kontakt stuff cause of that). Was a surprise they don't take more ram than most synth.s out there and the CPU load is low too :tu:

After some demoing, I'm taking it more as a synth. vsti which wasn't my intention before trying them. Likely will finds its place in my next mix :tu:

When I want to use them they need a repair, tried several times.
Deleted everything last week
Only a wast of time, completely unusable!

https://youtu.be/bBdTUgCz70U

Using labs sounds.. If it's worth anything :lol:

jowen wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:07 pm When I want to use them they need a repair, tried several times.
Deleted everything last week
Only a wast of time, completely unusable!
Last year I had a similar problem up on first download and simply forgot about these after that. Their Kontakt alternative player is likely updated which now works for me. Try sending them a mail about the bug.

I just stumbled across them again and really fell in love with it all... subsequent downloading frenzy included. :lol:
I don't have much time lately to enjoy my usual sound design adventures. Using exciting canned stuff gives me the chance to experiment in different ways. Seems like there's much to explore, both in terms of their incredible designs and my own journey into using sounds I haven't made myself...
Here are my first two explorations with pure LABs sounds (nothing else) and only most minimal mixing:
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/a-day-in-late-2020
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/sketch-of-faith
Whether or not those first tests do it some justice, I'm having a complete blast with them!

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”