Changes in IK Multimedia license transfer policy?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ryan_IK wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:36 pm
Users who have purchased an item second hand (Through use of an LTC) will not see the option for transfer in their account. Due to this, these users must contact IK support for assistance. Each case will be looked into to see how we can help. I do want to assure you guys that no policy changes were made without warning. This is just a change with the new web site. We are looking into the topic moving forward as we have seen so much interest.
Bolded for emphasis. For items that were secondhand (paid!) transfers which were transferable before, it doesn't say support will transfer your item. It says they'll look into it and see how they can help (READ: they reserve the right to deny transfer)

Also, it doesn't say the policy didn't change. It says it didn't change without warning. I guess start looking for the .000001 point font on the webpage.

That's because each account is unique with your products/registrations and you report an issue where you claim some license transfer fields are no longer there. That requires direct assistance with a team member looking at your account. Otherwise, our policies are on our web site at https://www.ikmultimedia.com/legal

If you did not get a response to your support ticket that is abnormal. Please send all pertinent information to Ryan as he's offered to help multiple times and I'm sure he and the team can figure out what happened to any responses, tickets, etc.

We do not provide direct technical support via back and forth posts on a third party forum. I believe that isn't too far out of range for any company.

We are not going to participate in matters specific to your account nor anything beyond what is posted at the link above with regard to these matters as it is all stated there (or your issues with specific items in your account will be handled directly via the support team).

Thank you and have a great day.

Forget my or anyone else's specific case. The question is not a specific one, but a question about a change in policy.

Did *any* item in *anyone's* account go from resellable to NFR when the "transfer" option on those items in the account disappeared en masse months ago?

It's not too much to ask a company to answer on a forum or clearly on their website whether or not the transfer policy has changed.

In your post, you're just throwing things at the wall to divert from what is, in reality, a very simple question that has essentially been un-answered since this thread started.

I know you're trying to give a "professional" answer, but it just comes across as evading and condescending.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:05 pm That's because each account is unique with your products/registrations and you report an issue where you claim some license transfer fields are no longer there. That requires direct assistance with a team member looking at your account. Otherwise, our policies are on our web site at https://www.ikmultimedia.com/legal
"Software Transfer. You may not transfer, license or sublicense your rights as Licensee of the software or any IK Multimedia product, as licensed to you under this agreement without prior written consent of the rights owner. The carrier on which the IK Multimedia product has been distributed may be transferred or otherwise made available to any third party only with the prior written consent of the rights owner and provided that (a) the original media and license(s) accompany the carrier and (b) the party transferring the media does not retain a copy of the media."

Under what general conditions will and what conditions won't you give written consent for standard license types?
It's vague which seems to be what people are complaining about.
Some people are saying that you can longer transfer licences which are 2nd user which didn't use to be the case.
Surely most licenses are of a standard type, not NFR or EDU, so the policy should be easy to clarify?
Saying that cases are too individual seems evasive to me so I'm not just buying it.

Here's a simple question.
If I purchase a 2nd user license via an official license transfer, can I expect to be able to transfer it in the future?

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:05 pm Otherwise, our policies are on our web site at https://www.ikmultimedia.com/legal
The conditions for when a transfer will be approved are not listed. It says you can't transfer without approval from the original rights owner, but it doesn't say what criteria is used for approval.
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:05 pm We do not provide direct technical support via back and forth posts on a third party forum. I believe that isn't too far out of range for any company.

We are not going to participate in matters specific to your account nor anything beyond what is posted at the link above with regard to these matters as it is all stated there (or your issues with specific items in your account will be handled directly via the support team).
No one asked you to do that. It's a strawman you've created so that you *can* have something you will address while completing side-stepping the original question.

If I go to u-he, Rob Papen, Reason Studios, Bitwig, etc. and ask them to detail the transfer policy, I don't get this ridiculous run around. And they would tell me on a forum as well. Why is this such an issue with IK?

It's abhorrent when companies do this kind of thing. I am generally against the contemporary commercial system in general. I am no fanboi about anything. I am generally cynical when it comes to companies. A lot of people using music software don't like it when people have this kind of position - they think these companies should be praised for their products. I don't. You should get what you pay for. It's rare to get more than you pay for.

Anyway, this is ridiculous. IK should make the policy clear instead of playing these games.

Until they sort this out I am not going to buy any more IK products. You should consdier the same. The only thing the people in these companies respond to is money.

There are so many other options out there - its rare for a dev to put out something that is truly unique and a, ahem, game changer. It really helped me to work on eliminating GAS. Without GAS now, I save so much money and my music and audio work hasn't suffered. The way I did it was to put focus on what I have. Once I would start working with what I have, I quickly stopped thinking about the latest sale. Now I can avoid companies that play games like this. For example Gullfoss - yes its really good, but I can't stand the way they run that company in terms of market communication and sales policy. I have no intent to buy it and I can just use an EQ and do a fine job with quality. You don't need it!

There are no games. Some people here apparently have experienced issues where they have things they believe qualify for transfer but don't appear to in our system. Our team is equipped to handle their requests and we've asked for their ticket information directly if their ticket isn't being handled to their satisfaction.

And one can "go to IK" and ask about our transfer policy (we have a contact and support system easily found on our site) if the FAQ at https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index.php?id=44 isn't clear or you have a specific problem.

Edit - And yes, you are asking for tech support here for an issue you have with something in our system that our support team can and will assist you with directly. The transfer policy is elaborated on our site (see the link earlier in this post), Ryan has chimed in too, and your specific issue with a ticket not answered has been addressed, just go ahead and send the requested information and the team will happily address whatever has happened.

Ryan already answered the question about any policy changes. So if what anybody is seeing is not in line with that, your account would need to be looked at and the issue addressed directly.

No, Ryan did not clearly answer the question as is evidenced by the continued confusion on this thread.

Did any items that were transferable in 2018 become nfr when the license transfer button disappeared from items in many accounts in Jan 2019? Or in other words, did the nfr policy change?

Yes or no?

Asking if the nfr policy has changed is not in general a tech support issue with any other company.

The only clear answer given in this thread is from the person that contacted support and was told that second hand items are nfr. In trying to "clarify" that response, it took MONTHS to get an answer from IK which really wasn't an answer. We still don't have a clear answer 10 months after this thread was started.

Saying the policy hasn't changed "without warning" is not the same as it hasn't changed period.

Heck, I'll even take the answer "we've been ordered to not say" over the repeated gas lighting of "we've already answered that"

Review this thread and see if the response by IK makes this seem clear and handled well.

Ryan_IK wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:08 pm
Vaultnaemsae wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:19 pm I put in a request to IK MM about license transfer info well over a month ago and have heard nothing back.
Please PM me your Ticket Number.
Yeah, would do that if I had one :dog: Pretty sure I wasn't issued a ticket number when I made my enquiry back in February/March 2019...and now almost 9 months later. Classic IK Multimedia :clap:

It seems that they changed their license transfer policies after all. I was told by IK Multimedia support that I can't sell my license (bought second-hand) because "Unfortunately, an already transferred serial # cannot be transferred again."
(I can't find this new policy anywhere on the IK Multimedia website)

Ideally IK needs to bring that transfer button back. I looked into selling Sampletank recently and the process was convoluted. Basically- contact us and we may give you permission. I’ll certainly not do any more business with IK until this changes.

What does it matter if I bought the software or it came with something else I bought? Same software and IK got money out of the deal. Come on IK.. do the right thing.
W11 i9-13900K, 64GB Cubase, UAD/Motu Monitor 8 front end and more plugins then I ever actually need :D

Hi, are there any updates on the topic? Any of you who bought second hand IK licenses did find the transfer button under the product?

Transfered licenses become NFR.
I've just got:
"Because its already been transferred to you once and it cannot be transferred multiple times."

From IK FAQ:
"Please note that not all software is transferable. Items received for free via a promotion are not transferable. Purchases made inside of the Custom Shop using Gear Credits are not transferable to another user or account."

And here's what Ryan IK said on page 3:
Ryan_IK wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:36 pm Users who have purchased an item second hand (Through use of an LTC) will not see the option for transfer in their account. Due to this, these users must contact IK support for assistance. Each case will be looked into to see how we can help. I do want to assure you guys that no policy changes were made without warning. This is just a change with the new web site. We are looking into the topic moving forward as we have seen so much interest.
Which is pretty different from what they told you :?
Also if that's the new policy we should know, cause absolutely no one is specifying that on their FS threads here in the marketplace, which may lead into bad transactions.

Return to “Instruments”