Roli Seaboard RISE

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

And with the guitar, I will change it to only smashing the area of the body that isn't holding the bridge to the neck. So you still can play. It's just broken and has no body anymore.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:58 pm Ok but the software analogy with the hard drive is still cool right?
You already hit the nail on the head with that midi keyboard example, so all's good :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:44 pm
Actually, the midi controller analogy works, but the guitar one doesn't.

In the case of the argument Pashkuli is making about the Roli keyboards, you can remove all of the silicone keyboard and the grid underneath will not only still be functional, but would still offer all of the 5D expression. In the case of a guitar, you wouldn't need to go any further than cutting the strings for it to no longer playable as a guitar :shrug:
i still find it funny

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:10 pm [...]
Do you have any brick 'n' mortar music shops, nearby, where you might get a chance to sit down and actually play one?
I’d love to do exactly that. Unfortunately, it seems the places in my area don’t carry it, or don’t have any on demo. This seems to be the case with most synth and electronic music equipment here :-/
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:47 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:10 pm [...]
Do you have any brick 'n' mortar music shops, nearby, where you might get a chance to sit down and actually play one?
I’d love to do exactly that. Unfortunately, it seems the places in my area don’t carry it, or don’t have any on demo. This seems to be the case with most synth and electronic music equipment here :-/
That's a shame. Not that I had the chance either. But for someone on the fence, it'd definitely be an advantage.

Take the guy from the older video, write down some software for whatever you want (pitch bend up and down is not possible per key pressed) and call it "5D hyper-space expression" or some other marketing mumbo-jumbo.
The note you play is still back to front no matter black or white key. It is just a grid.

Here is my impression of the Roli Seaboard:
1. It is a grid instrument
2. Keys (notes) go from front to back (see the attached picture) for both Black ("accidentals") and White (natural) keys; abnormally wide zones between E–F and B–C.
3. Front and Back there are 'non-wavy' plane slide zones (like strips)
4. No Pitch bend per note... (look 5.)
5. Usually the Y-glide gets assigned to Modulation (I think it could be a Pitch bend per note relative to the point of pressure applied, although not very convenient, because notes raise left to right)

Roli-XY.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

why is BC EF abnormally wide? other ""white"" keys are equally spaced like on a piano arent they

Ploki wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:34 pm why is BC EF abnormally wide? other ""white"" keys are equally spaced like on a piano arent they
The 'white' spacing is completely different from a piano. In between every white key/wave is a space equal to the 'black' key above it. This allows a larger travel space for modulating the smaller black keys. It also allows for chromatic slides along the top and bottom strips. So, really they are maintaining the normal undulating form and spacing between white keys.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:51 pm
Ploki wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:34 pm why is BC EF abnormally wide? other ""white"" keys are equally spaced like on a piano arent they
The 'white' spacing is completely different from a piano. In between every white key/wave is a space equal to the 'black' key above it. This allows a larger travel space for modulating the smaller black keys. It also allows for chromatic slides along the top and bottom strips. So, really they are maintaining the normal undulating form and spacing between white keys.
I don't know, it's not all that different... the black keys seem to be a bit more "constrained" than on a piano. but white spacing looks identical to me.

oh wait, you mean in the "slide" terms, not key spacing.

can't say it ever bothered me, i really like how seaboard layout is done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ploki wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:13 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:51 pm
I don't know, it's not all that different... the black keys seem to be a bit more "constrained" than on a piano. but white spacing looks identical to me.

oh wait, you mean in the "slide" terms, not key spacing.

can't say it ever bothered me, i really like how seaboard layout is done.
I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing. I'm confused :scared:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:22 pm
no we're not :D
I thought everyone was talking about PHYSICAL spacing being different to a traditional piano.
In fact, it's the fact that C to D slide is the same pitch length as E to F slide.

Ploki wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:28 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:22 pm
no we're not :D
I thought everyone was talking about PHYSICAL spacing being different to a traditional piano.
In fact, it's the fact that C to D slide is the same pitch length as E to F slide.
The spacing IS different to a real piano. On a real piano, the white keys are adjacent, with the black keys being placed 'in between', which is allowed by cutouts in the white keys to accommodate. With the Seaboards, the black keys run the whole length from top-to-bottom, albeit with both concave and convex sections. The white keys never touch.

Because the white keys never touch, and because the waves alternate between convex and concave, it wouldn't make sense to change that flow, just because there is no 'black' key between E - and - F.

Are we on the same page, now? :)

Guys, the notes of the "black" keys go front to back of the surface - their zone is as long and playable as the length of a "with" key.
You can perform slides (chromatic) even on the wavy part of the surface, no matter where on the surface area front or back.
The bumpy "black" keys are only for visual reference.
Hence there is a abnormally wide zone between E-F and B-C — to compensate for the "missed out black key zone".
Please look at the grid structure underneath, shown in my attachment above.
Also you can see how the grid columns are connected to the controller – the circuit paths.
Roli-grid-abnormal.jpg
Hence... the abnormal wide zone between B-C, E-F.
Last edited by Pashkuli on Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

so you have more resolution between B-C than between C and C# for example

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”