ReFx Nexus 3 (N3) Finally here!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nexus

steve.lindqvist wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:01 pmBut here is the thing: many other plug-ins behave similar. For example Parawave Rapid, you can't even cut on a musical grid, as bounced notes are all over the place. Same is true for the Roland cloud sample based products (e.g. JV-1080).
The Korg M1 VST does the same but that only cost £25 so I can't complain.

For drums the kick needs to be perfect but other percussion I'm not so bothered. My main gripe is layering off beat stabs or donk basses, it's essential that the phase relationship between waveforms making that 1 sound stay exactly the same, every time. If random, repeatably random, not just 1 note that loses it's desired texture or punch, occasionally.

The difference with 1080 vst, M1 vst is we can layer other patches inside the 1 instance, with Nexus we can't.

For those unfamiliar with this issue, the drift in sync happens between instances of a vst. The drift inside 1 VST for all the waveforms is the same. If Nexus could load layers from other performances inside 1 instance, the drift wouldn't be an issue. The sound you needed to appear as 1 would stay as 1 and would only be drifting against other VSTs making sounds intended to be another instrument, which is a more humanising, often welcomed effect.
Click for music links... Eurotrash!
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W10, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

commodore wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:26 pm What the hell am I going to do with my Dongle now that I won't need it!?!
Get Cubase 10.5. It now has masking dual display built in the EQ as standard and comes with the best delay plug in I've seen. Dropped yesterday! Instant upgrade for me!!!
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W10, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

steve.lindqvist wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:09 pm Image
I'm liking where this is going, refx, you sexy beast!

mitchiemasha wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:41 pm
commodore wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:26 pm What the hell am I going to do with my Dongle now that I won't need it!?!
Get Cubase 10.5. It now has masking dual display built in the EQ as standard and comes with the best delay plug in I've seen. Dropped yesterday! Instant upgrade for me!!!
never mind. wrong post.

mitchiemasha wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:35 pm If random, repeatably random, not just 1 note that loses it's desired texture or punch, occasionally.
Just to expand, You'd have 2 or 3 nexus running an off beat stab Hardcore style, Kick to bass, bouncy as hell (IYO) hours of searching through patches for that perfect sound, then all of a sudden you'll notice it, 1 note would be YUCK, not at all how the rest are. The trouble shooting mission begins, you'll try everything, read everything, ask the most retarded question everywhere, nobody knows anything, everyone thinks you're mad. No way would it be a few hundred pound Rompler isn't sample accurate (hell, you didn't even know sample accurate was a thing 6 months ago, yes 6 months, possibly even longer, before you finally figure out the issue).

In their defence it is kind of using it not as intended but still!

I started using Volume Shaper (ShaperBox) on the master bus purely as a wavedisplay. It's static nature drawing the waveform set at 1/4, helps me understand the sound more, we can see (yes mix with your ears) to cycle accuracy, the kick tail interacting with bass notes, how a Lowcut will shift the low end outside your perfect sidechain and start exciting the kick transient or how a snare might now sit on the crest resulting in loss of headroom, resulting in more master limiting needed for desired volume etc etc. (yes, a LC on your master does not give you more headroom as YT would have you believe, it tends to eat up 3db, depending (if you want the experiment ask)). It was VS that revealed the NEXUS problem to me, what had been the bane of forever, there it was clear as day, every now and then, the waveform would jump slightly forward or backwards. I couldn't believe it.

mitchiemasha wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:05 pm
mitchiemasha wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:35 pm If random, repeatably random, not just 1 note that loses it's desired texture or punch, occasionally.
Just to expand, You'd have 2 or 3 nexus running an off beat stab Hardcore style, Kick to bass, bouncy as hell (IYO) hours of searching through patches for that perfect sound, then all of a sudden you'll notice it, 1 note would be YUCK, not at all how the rest are. The trouble shooting mission begins, you'll try everything, read everything, ask the most retarded question everywhere, nobody knows anything, everyone thinks you're mad. No way would it be a few hundred pound Rompler isn't sample accurate (hell, you didn't even know sample accurate was a thing 6 months ago, yes 6 months, possibly even longer, before you finally figure out the issue).

In their defence it is kind of using it not as intended but still!

I started using Volume Shaper (ShaperBox) on the master bus purely as a wavedisplay. It's static nature drawing the waveform set at 1/4, helps me understand the sound more, we can see (yes mix with your ears) to cycle accuracy, the kick tail interacting with bass notes, how a Lowcut will shift the low end outside your perfect sidechain and start exciting the kick transient or how a snare might now sit on the crest resulting in loss of headroom, resulting in more master limiting needed for desired volume etc etc. (yes, a LC on your master does not give you more headroom as YT would have you believe, it tends to eat up 3db, depending (if you want the experiment ask)). It was VS that revealed the NEXUS problem to me, what had been the bane of forever, there it was clear as day, every now and then, the waveform would jump slightly forward or backwards. I couldn't believe it.
I don't quite follow tbh. Could you give me a simple step by step example of how I could replicate your issues on my own system using nexus?

m-ac wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:53 pm I don't quite follow tbh. Could you give me a simple step by step example of how I could replicate your issues on my own system using nexus?
Which DAW do you use?

msvs wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:15 pm guys, dont argue with little kids :roll:
however, there was an update here, I just saw:
Hell yes, no iLok! Thank you so much reFX, I Will definitely be buying Nexus 3 after this great news! :love:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

X86 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:23 pm
msvs wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:15 pm guys, dont argue with little kids :roll:
however, there was an update here, I just saw:
Hell yes, no iLok! Thank you so much reFX, I Will definitely be buying Nexus 3 after this great news! :love:
You are able to write iLok and reFX instead of ilok and refx but you still don't realize that Nexus has never been iLok protected! Do you understand that?

reFX Nexus 2 uses eLicenser!
Does reFX Nexus 2 use iLok? No.
Does reFx Nexus 2 use eLicenser? Yes.

iLok ≠ eLicenser

iLok: https://www.ilok.com
eLicenser: https://www.steinberg.net/en/company/te ... enser.html

I read it different: He's just glad that they didn't switch to iLok for N3 and that is exactly what they already announced.

Do you understand that? :lol:
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

m-ac wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:53 pm I don't quite follow tbh. Could you give me a simple step by step example of how I could replicate your issues on my own system using nexus?
There are many ways to witness it. If you have Volume Shaper, put it on the master bus set to 1/4 and watch a perfectly quantised note jump forward and backwards from it's intended position. Just to be clear... This is a thing but isn't openly talked about, It's not something unique to me or a set up issue. Many VST's have it.

Actually, there's an easier way, find a simple preset in Nexus, turn everything extra off, duplicate the track, have them both play at the same time. LISTEN! You can even flip the polarity, do they null? This wouldn't work if the sample wasn't using a retrigger mode or using a random phase start position.

Use bpm's other than 60 120 180, due to maths there shouldn't be any rounding at those number to cause the shifts.

The issue is the unintended swing is random and different between each instance.

I'm a little late to this party, but for some reason I thought that Avenger was Nexus 3. I tried out Avenger and a lot of the expansions last month at a friend's studio and was pretty impressed. I had Nexus a few years ago, but got rid of it. IMO Avenger was soooo much nicer than Nexus 2. What do you think that Nexus 3 will have that Avenger doesn't already have? They seem like they both cater to the same buyers.

mladi wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:53 pm I read it different: He's just glad that they didn't switch to iLok for N3 and that is exactly what they already announced.
VS
X86 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:37 pm Are there going to be digital downloads this time, or is it going to still be archaic CD in a box and neutered with iLok?
X86 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:45 pmThey should also lose iLok to appeal to a much broader base, iLok isn't going to prevent piracy anyway, so no need to punish the paying customers.
Obviously you didn‘t read. You interpreted.

I read the last you quoted. Next time quote better not everybody has the time to hang around 24/7 in a thread like a pro. :lol:
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

mladi wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:56 pm I read the last you qouted. Next time qoute better not everybody has the time to hang around 24/7 in a thread like a pro. :lol:
I am a pro indeed:

Nexus user = Pro
No Nexus user = No pro
:hihi:

Return to “Instruments”