Windows 10: Big Posts, Big Screens, Big DAW/Plugin Migration & BBC News On Windows 7

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just a little update...

Things I've encountered whilst making the transition of plugins from Windows 7 to Windows 10, include that of the free MTPowerDrumkits2 plugin which is dated from 2012 in that it no longer works when transferring it. ( You're now greeted with a Computer ID Activation screen. )

The 2018 version you download, presents you with nag screen every time you open an instance of it if you don't otherwise donate. On Windows 7, the plugin opens without that as normal, even if you didn't donate. So essentially, you can't run two different instances on two different operating systems without incurring the issue's described as they share the same ID. The 2012 release version takes priority... Kinda annoying... but it could be worse I guess. Unless you donate, you will forever have to keep pressing the skip button to bypass an ugly screen of text each time with the 2018 version, or just stick to using it with your Windows 7 installation, the 2012 version that is.

If you have the Focusrite Red EQ / Compressor Plugins that were provided with their audio interfaces, you may find that they will require the keyfiles and additional folders. For this, locate the folder location C:\Users\ your user login name \AppData\Local ....( or search for the 'Activation' folder which contains the Red2Red3Plugin.txt file ) In any case, you need to copy this folder and file to the location in your Windows 10 folder directory which shares the same route. ( The issue is that since Focusrite updated their website, the information you need can no longer be found in your account which is a problem if you want to use them. )

You will find a whole list of plugins that you use here, so scanning through them and copying them over directly to your Windows 10 drive or another location to be copied is the way to go. When you copy over the data / registration codes required for the plugins, you need to do this from Windows 7 (if not using a Linux distro) as you will not be able to access these folders from Windows 10 as they are access protection enabled. There's no need to try and change this when you have other options available to you.

You'll also find the bulk of your VST plugin data on the same 'AppData' directory within in the 'Roaming' folder C:\Users\your user login name\AppData\Roaming

Other things to highlight about Windows 10 is that the 'ProgramData' folder is hidden by default, so in this case you'll have to enable hidden folders to see it. You may need to access this for other programs you have used such as Photoshop besides audio based programs.

During the process, of enabling the image thumbnails for all the plugins I have and intend to use, I have also tried using the DPI scaling option provided in Studio One 4.5.4, none of them have changed in size with the activation of it, in some cases, it has caused some older plugins to just show a black GUI screen. So it's a feature that doesn't work or simply isn't recognised / implemented yet by plugin developers...I'd liked to be proved wrong though... because it would be of benefit.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Earlier this year, I upgraded my desktop system I use with a fairly recent graphics card, so if you are using an older system and migrating to Windows 10, which takes advantage of DirectX12 and the games you can download and play from the Microsoft Store, it may be worth upgrading to a new one if you're still pegging with an old one.. The graphics card should generally improve the display performance with your DAW as well as other benefits. If you are building a new system and on a more limited budget... you may consider the one I have chosen. I've had it since February, and it's been problem free.. The twin fans do not run, or are otherwise silent, even during heavy CPU use within the DAW. And oh and probably most importantly, you can go up to 4K, if you want to, 1440P is what I use now, and that's after years of being limited to the native resolution of 1080P. You can do this by enabling Virtualisation in the Adrenalin Graphics panel utility for the card. This means you don't need to buy another monitor to get more screen estate.

Enjoy the music....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqOLC3asbas
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

If you intend on doing anything graphics related with Windows 10, these are things you need to be aware of.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/windo ... e-monitors

"
Windows 10 May 2019 Update reportedly has a bug which mucks up the color settings or calibration of some monitors.

While Microsoft has seemingly fixed the problem with a recent Windows update, according to some users, this doesn’t actually cure the issue, although fortunately there still appears to be a usable workaround.

How to reinstall Windows 10
How to install the Windows 10 May 2019 Update
Windows 10 May 2019 Update problems: how to fix them

The problem itself, as documented on Nvidia’s forums, Reddit, and also addressed by monitor maker Eizo (known for its high-end displays), means that colors are reproduced incorrectly with banding (vertical lines) in color gradations.

CLOSE

Eizo notes: “Advisory: We highly recommend not using a PC installed with Microsoft Windows 10 (1903) [May 2019 Update] for the time being, especially for diagnostic imaging or graphics editing which requires tone accuracy.”

The gremlin appears to be evident for certain GPUs, although as mentioned, with the recent KB4501375 patch for Windows 10 May 2019 Update, Microsoft claimed that the problem with color management was fixed.

In the patch notes, Microsoft stated: “Addresses an issue that may cause Night light, Color Management profiles, or gamma correction to stop working after shutting down a device.”

However, at least going by some of the users posting on Nvidia’s forum, the issue isn’t actually cured by the patch. But as mentioned, there is a workaround which apparently does the trick, and can be enabled from within the Task Scheduler.
Workaround details

As Windows Latest points out, you should head to the Task Scheduler (search for it in the search box next to the Start menu), then double-click on Task Scheduler Library, double-click on Microsoft, then double-click on Windows.

Next, find and click on WindowsColorSystem, and in the Calibration Loader task (on the right), select the Triggers tab. Select ‘At Log on’ in that tab and click Disable, and do the same thing with the second entry ‘On connection to user session’.

You’ll need to reboot your PC for the changes to take effect, and fingers crossed, that will sort your monitor out and get it displaying colors correctly.

Finally, note that as well as Windows, some third-party monitor calibration utilities are also affected by this bugbear, as highlighted by DisplayCal.

As we recently saw, Windows 10 May 2019 Update has a bug that can interfere with some VPN connections, and again this flaw pertains to the KB4501375 patch (but fortunately it isn’t something the average VPN user will encounter). "

I can say I'm impressed with Windows 10 1909. It's running quite well on a four-year old I7-6700K, with an upgraded video adapter (GTX-1660 Ti) and a 32" HP Pavilion QHD monitor. I'm quite happy with the life extension these upgrades have given me.

Posted On BBC News website 2 hours ago as of this post:

Microsoft ends Windows 7 support: What should you do?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51090407

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”