Any VST Synth VS Oberheim OB-6

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Directly accessible preset buttons.
HQ analog sound and controls. Possibly the only analog svf poly filter available.

(don't own it but went through the exercise)

recursive one wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:29 pm
kvotchin wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:04 pm There isn't a software synth that exists that can hold a candle to that sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drhV9H47ZJI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtC-rmatJkg

Well, sure its sounds great. But think I can agree with the OP, I hear some Repro, some Diva, some Dune3, but I don't hear anything not acheivable with top quality softsynths. I have Microbrute (for few days :) ) it's much cheaper synth and much more limited, but I can't think of any softsynth sounding like it. I know not everyone likes Brutes sound but I happen to like it.

Maybe I'd need to play with that OB-6 in person in order to actually have an opinion.
I think it definitely helps to have one up close and personal. When RePro came out, one of the first things I did was ask the question, “can this replace my Prophet 6?” The answer was, “no,” for a few reasons. First off, regardless as to which one you think is “better,” they just sound pretty different. The software sounds more stiff and precise, while the hardware sound more fluid and squishy. Hard to put words to it... but the character is just different. I actually like RePro more for some sounds. I definitely recommend buying on character more than almost anything else.

Second is quality. When you start dialing in that distortion, the difference becomes more apparent and you can hear aliasing pretty clearly on RePro, where the 6 is clear and warm all the way up. Overall, the sound quality aside from overdriven or distorted sounds are very good in synths like RePro, Legend, Oddity, PolyKB is very good, so quality isn’t the issue it used to be with synths like Prophet V. (If you think Prophet V sounds great, you should leave this thread.) Diva is great, and goes a lot of places that hardware does not, but I think it could benefit from an “Ultra Divine” mode. For most bread and butter type synth sounds, it’s fine though. If that’s all the types of synth sounds you need, then maybe you should never demo an OB-6 or any other hardware analog.

Third is features. The Prophet 6 has several features, most importantly a second high pass filter, that I do tend to use a lot. So, while it may seem limited in comparison to RePro, in some ways it is not. Most of my hardware is picked because they have specific features that are not found in software, or if they are, the quality isn’t as good. I fell in love with demos of the Modal 002 when it first came out and I worked really hard to try and find a software synth that had that pole morphing filter that sounded as good as the 002, and their plain and simply isn’t one. That one also happens to have a general character that’s very different than any software synths I’ve found, so that’s features and character that keeps my 002 around.

Last is resources. Depending on how you work, this may not affect you at all, but I have a specific “live improv” kind of work flow that demands a number of instruments to be ready to go at any moment as well as effects to go on top of them with live real-time manipulation. I don’t like to run a buffer of more than 64 samples, so that puts a lot of pressure on my i7. Being able to rely on a handful of hardware synths frees up my CPU to do other tasks, like run audio loopers, effects, and some software instruments that have no hardware equivalents.

Ultimately, I’d like to one day be able to get rid of all my hardware instruments (except guitars) and do everything with plugins. I much prefer the tidiness of that kind of studio (I did it for a short stint in the mid 00s) and the work flow is much better for me. Judging by how good software is now, compared to how it was when I started using software instruments (mid 00s), I’d guess that we’re 5-10 years away from having CPUs that can handle the needs of something that can do a perfect rendition of any classic synth and a lot more. Maybe longer, because when I see NI release Massive X that requires a not so modern CPU to run, but won’t run on an old one, I instantly see the internet threads go on fire with people crying. My current setup is fine and I really enjoy it. I don’t require it to make music, but I’m thankful to have it and the space to keep it.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

kvotchin wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:04 pm There isn't a software synth that exists that can hold a candle to that sound. That is why. That, and the nice hardware that comes with it, of course, with its immediacy and workflow.
This is true, but some people can’t hear it or if they can, they don’t care, or even if they care, they don’t feel it’s worth it. I get that. I could walk into a Tesla dealership right now and buy one right now for cash... but I never would. I know it is better in every way than my Ford Focus Electric, but I just don’t care that much about it.

I always go to food analogies. My wife is a foodie. She loves cooking and really appreciates high quality food. Of course, we don’t go out to the French Laundry every week, but we do go there and places like it every now and then. It’s mostly wasted on me. Don’t get me wrong, I can totally perceive the differences, but I just don’t care that much. I go for her, but I’d never initiate something like that on my own. I get it though. To me, my hardware synths are my “French Laundry.” I could live without them, but this is my passion and what I’m really into, so why not? What I don’t do is buy very expensive vintage synths because I don’t want the hassle of having to maintain them and they lack the features like velocity and aftertouch (I’m very into polyphonic aftertouch and MPE these days) that are crucial to my “technique.” (If you heard me play, you’d :lol: at that!) But I get why the people who love them love them and I’m sure they also feel like they’re worth every penny.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

wagtunes wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:31 pm So, unless you just hate soft synths and only buy hardware, can somebody please explain to me why somebody would spend 3 grand on a "limited" synth that doesn't sound all that special next to what we now have available in soft synths.
I think it is just a matter of taste.

Like you, it is not mine.

But those who are tempted by a hardware synth, even at this price... well!.... they have their reasons, and the reasons are sometimes objective (those who play on stage for example) and sometimes subjective, but the important thing is the pleasure they get from it.

I myself, like many here, have some hardware synths (all of them second-hand and even very old, my most "modern" among my hardware synths is a Korg MS2000b) but I have and I will never have the slightest reason to put a fortune in a hardware synthesizer that just left the factory, especially for the music I make and with sounds that I like quite out of plugins. But I fully understand that some musicians need this kind of machine or are tempted for reasons... that ultimately belong only to them. And as we say in French, "tastes and colors are not a matter of dispute".
:)
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Ooops! OB 6 not OB Matrix 6...

Nvm

I agree with Steven. What is so special about it?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I wonder if it's a coincidence that the people who think it's special are the ones that actually have one, and the ones that don't are arguing from the standpoint of somebody else's demo on the internet.

Halonmusic wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:42 am I agree with Steven. What is so special about it?
Well, you are on a 2nd page already, didnt you read ? :D

tehlord wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:12 am I wonder if it's a coincidence that the people who think it's special are the ones that actually have one, and the ones that don't are arguing from the standpoint of somebody else's demo on the internet.
That is a good point actually.

I dont have OB6, but i do have analog ik uno and there is a difference in sound but its hardly any special outstanding or magical from lets say another HQ analog synth emulation, but the "magic" happens when you apply effects like distortion, compression ect. and there is a strong logic why that happens.

1. Analog is not limited in bandwith
2. Sound is not 100% no matter what you will do, output goes to cable, cable goes to a soundcard, thats just simply a fact.

Now suming all those besides analog circuit board inside you get those harmonics, random things created by whatever interfers from synth to your soundcard (+whateva inside there) that your ear cannot pick up on a normal circumstanses.

Now back to Uno, when yesterday i played around with it and effects on top what really amazed me how still the sound fat is when you apply heavy distortion on top of it, none of the vsts i work with give me same sound, crazy right.

Elektronisch wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:58 am
tehlord wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:12 am I wonder if it's a coincidence that the people who think it's special are the ones that actually have one, and the ones that don't are arguing from the standpoint of somebody else's demo on the internet.

I dont have OB6, but i do have analog ik uno and there is a difference in sound but its hardly any special outstanding or magical from lets say another HQ analog synth emulation, but the "magic" happens when you apply effects like distortion, compression ect. and there is a strong logic why that happens.

2. Sound is not 100% no matter what you will do, output goes to cable, cable goes to a soundcard, thats just simply a fact.

Now suming all those besides analog circuit board inside you get those harmonics, random things created by whatever interfers from synth to your soundcard (+whateva inside there) that your ear cannot pick up on a normal circumstanses.

Now back to Uno, when yesterday i played around with it and effects on top what really amazed me how still the sound fat is when you apply heavy distortion on top of it, none of the vsts i work with give me same sound, crazy right.
I probably sound like a broken record on this, but I think it’s important and needs to be restated. If you’re making basic clean and tame sounds, and if you like the workflow of software, then hardware synths are probably never going to appeal to you. If you tend to like sounds that are more gritty (though not in a bit reduction kind of way) and over driven, then the differences between software and hardware do become more important. If the distortion on the OB-6 is the same as on my Prophet 6, I can guarantee that there is not a software synth that has built in distortion that sounds as good, and I’d go as far as to say that the dedicated distortion plugins also fall a bit flat. Not horrible, but definitely not as good. I’d also say that there’s some of this same effect at various other stages in the synth architecture, that end up giving a hardware synth a bit of an edge over software for some types of sounds.

Anyway, I’m not sure why we’re trying to trying to convince someone who’s already made up their mind to spend money on something that I doubt would make a difference in their music. When I first heard the Prophet 6, I thought it sounded pretty good, but the price tag was high and I kind of dismissed it as something not worth the potential benefits. Then I kept hearing user demos and my opinion really went from “pretty good” to “I find myself thinking about how to get one.” Then the module came out, and at that price I started thinking about it even more, and when one came up for sale for $1650, I thought, “why not?” I had the budget for it and while it still seemed like a bit of an extravagance, I thought it was worth it. When I finally got it in my studio, I was not disappointed at all. In fact, I was even more enamored with it. When the OB-6 came out, I thought maybe of trading up for one, but I can’t seem to make up my mind as to which one I like better. They both sound great to me, so I stay where I am.
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:06 pm OK, I’ll bite. I once made a stupid post like this, so I guess I’m as guilty as anyone, though to be fair my post was in 2005 when things weren’t as good. I had been listening to a lot of analog synth demos and frankly I didn’t get it either. Then, a guy named livingsounds posted a track that made me rethink my stance. It sounded fantastic in a way that my stuff just wasn’t. I took a chance and picked up a desktop MoPho. I honestly wasn’t bowled over by it at first. I liked it, but it was just another flavor of synth. Then I started messing with it’s feedback and filter FM, and I started looking at software instruments and they just didn’t even really do that with any degree of quality. The more I played with it, the more I started hearing some other things that I just really liked. I found a used Studio Electronics ATC-1 for $500, so I picked that one up, and instantly I started hearing more of something that software wasn’t quite getting. This is especially true in audio rate modulation stuff, osc sync, distortion (including feedback and filter drive) etc. All of the sudden, artifacts and dullness that I’d not really noticed in my software became apparent. Not that I tossed out all my software. I still find software to be an amazing way to add variety and interesting stuff to the mix.

Anyway, it’s not something that can be very easily gleaned from a compressed file on the internet, so if you’re not really up for a real life demo, then just shut up and move on. There’s nothing wrong with sticking to plugins for music. I liken something like the OB-6 (I’ve got a Prophet 6) to a high end steak in a very good steakhouse, and software to the meat in your favorite cheap Indian restaurant’s vindaloo. There’s a good chance that you just don’t care about having a simple but very high quality analog instrument, but trust me, if you do make the commitment to dig into one, it will be bad for your bank account.
This is exactly what happened to me, even the very same DSI synth to blame. I got a Mopho SE to serve as a really nice midi keyboard to control plugins, didn't really expect much of the synth engine before I started exploring it. I can't tell whether it's the analog circuits or the decades of professional synth design (something very few plugin developers possess), but I get fantastic results with it every single time. I've come to think it simply sounds musical.

For me P900 > any hardware > Moog apps, U-he, Beepstreet,..... > everything else.
However, i did not played with too much expensive hardware but at least i still think software synths like Repro, The Legend etc. are super great and are good enough. Only P900 is still in a class of its own for me and beat them all for my taste.

Elektronisch wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:58 am

This is exact how i feel using P900 software when i gain stage it to insane levels, add the polyphonic saturation, high resonance, audio rate modulations, really outstanding delay and reverb which glues so organic and put a limiter behind it to not kill my ears/speakers/headphones.
It still has a clarity and body i hear in no other software synth. I like it even much more than Moog hardware i could play with.

Elektronisch wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:44 am
Halonmusic wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:42 am I agree with Steven. What is so special about it?
Well, you are on a 2nd page already, didnt you read ? :D
Hehe, i didnt read every single comment no. :D
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I haven't seen an OB6 advert, I see Synthmaster expansions at $4. The advertisers must think I'm a cheapskate. :D

I have a few analogue synths, including an OB6, and the usual VST suspects. In isolation, the tone of the OB6 is glorious. I generally find my hardware synths have a tonal quality that makes them sound more alive. That doesn't necessarily make them any better within a mix, just a different option, and depending on genre and preset type required, hardware or software might be better suited to the task in hand.

Return to “Instruments”