Correction plugins like Morphit or Sonar Works???

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Scoox wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:42 pm Same dilemma as OP. Just wondering what these plugins actually do. Are the essentially EQ curve presets, or is there other trickery going on? I've copied the EQ curve from Morphit using my DAW's built-in EQ and it sounds close enough.

Then there's Sonarworks, which I've not tested yet. However, I've tested Morphit with three different headphones and they all sound very close with the 'correct' curve applied, which is great, and it costs much less than Sonarworks.
Theyre just EQ curve presets that flatten out the response of the headphone. If you're going to use it just for headphones, morphit is much cheaper and works great.

With Sonarworks you can correct not only your headphone but also your recording / mixing room response curve. Quite useful!

Sonarworks was the single best purchase I have made in years. I struggled with room modes even though I have a lot of good room treatment (OC703) and great monitors (LYD48). I bought Sonarworks in June. That was right after a full album project. During mastering of that project, I was told where my mix had trouble. It was all the usual frequencies.

I just finished a new mix project and sent it off to the same mastering engineer. This time he said the mix was perfect and needed no EQ. That was a first for me. So, Sonarworks is very much worth the price. After going though what I have, I'd easily pay double for it. It changed my mixes more than anything else.

Calenberger wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:13 pm With Sonarworks you can correct not only your headphone but also your recording / mixing room response curve. Quite useful!
Sonarworks headphone version is more expensive than Morphit. If a room will ALSO need to be calibrated, along with with headphones, just buy full version of Sonarworks. Youll be able to correct your room, and will also have headphone correction. But solely for headphones, Morphit will do the job. I bought Morphit and eventually bought reference when I added speakers to setup. I still use Morphit for headphones, and Sonarworks for speakers. Easy to switch on/off from master chain when Im switching over from one to other.

Thanks guys, I think I'll try doing a couple of mixes with Morphit and see how it fares. My current room is untreated so I'm mainly interested in correcting my cans.

Scoox wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:10 am Thanks guys, I think I'll try doing a couple of mixes with Morphit and see how it fares. My current room is untreated so I'm mainly interested in correcting my cans.
Download the demo for CanOpener too and use that with Morphit!!! That combo is golden. Here's a tip, if you can only buy one right now, between Morphit, and CanOpener, buy CanOpener, and use the demo of Morphit. When you open a project it'll reset so just choose the profile of your cans again, and it'll work all day long until you close project. Then when you can, buy Morphit. It's not as good as having speakers but pretty damn close. Switching between my cans with Morphit/CanOpener, and my speakers with Sonarworks calibration is pretty close to each other. When you demo CanOpener, crank the amount to 150% and bass to -.5 and that works pretty well for translating mixes.

Im in the initial stages of correcting my room with basstraps and acoustic tiles, and exploring my options between canopener, morphit, and sonarworks.
I have very good monitors ( Yamaha HS7 ) and great headphones ( AiAiAi TMA-2 wireless modulars ) , but i'll work on something at night with the cans on, and the relative volumes through the speakers the next day always need a bit of adjustment as it's not quite what I heard through the cans. I think most people listen to music with headphones on anyway though........

What is this sweeping pink noise thing a few of you guys were talking about ?
How would you do that, and what should it reveal , and how would you then address whatever that reveals ?

Can't stand my AKG K702s without Sonarworks Headphones anymore. It's such an improvement. Super happy when they went 'Systemwide' so now I can use correction on everything (Spotify / Youtube) as well. One of the best purchases i've made in audio land.

I tested a few of these last night and I used a very popular well known reference track and A ! B'd it and it sounds lifeless with the "correction" through sonarworks, and morphit added a big dollop of resonant frequencies in that screechy hi hat range and it sounded nasty. Cant work with that.
I usually get told my mixes are good. Thought this may have helped a little but I'll hard pass on the correction plugins now.

mgw38 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:59 pm I recently bought a MiniDSP EARS measurement jig. I needed it for something else but its intended purpose is measuring headphones (albeit not particularly accurately) so I also did a couple of measurements on my headphones (one of them is Sonarworks calibrated). Even though I would not put too much trust into the measurement results, one thing I took away from that is that the perceived frequency response depends significantly on the way I you wear the headphones. And, by extension also things like if your pads are worn or new, how big your ears are, how the particular physiology of your ear canals look like, etc. In the end all these headphone correction systems need to be taken with a big pinch of salt.

Speaker correction is a completely different story altogether.
I'm curious if you are still using miniDSP EARS. You say this microphone is not accurate but doesn't it come with an individual calibration file you can use to "flatting" it?

Return to “Effects”