IK iLoud MTM - monitors with ARC(!)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just heard the news from NAMM. Compact monitor speakers with built-in ARC for room correction. That sounds pretty awesome to be honest.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iloudmtm/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N3n9Ju5IDM

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

I have to say, im really interested in these. I know they will be snubbed by a lot of people. But the more i use IK products, the more i really like the company.
I too had some assumptions about their gear which have proven to be wrong. I know this is a new product and not directly related to their other stuff, but its a great idea.
This to me seems like a ns10 for the new age.

So what's up with these? Anyone heard any news? I'm not super keen on preordering a speaker. So I'll wait before I've heard some solid reviews/endorsements. Question is if I would be fine with the iLoud Micros even, I'm in a bedroom sized office room that's mostly empty except for shelves on some edges, around 5x5x3 meters or so. But I'm in a place where I'm ready to shell out for a solid pair of speakers, and these look promising but how much of it is hype vs solid objective facts? Hard to tell for me atm, I'm basing my interest mostly on the good things I heard about the iLoud micros.

I really like how IKM iLoud speakers sound, but I've had problems with both my iLoud and iLoud Monitors. The former was replaced but this one has problems with high frequency noise, and the latter was barely used when they developed a nasty distortion (I think the speaker...I don't use them that loud though). I owned the monitors for a couple of years and recently started using them. I contacted IKM to troubleshoot (got no help other than to say it was just out of warranty), then to see if they had parts...nothing.

I found a handful of people who had the same issue, both on their forum and other places online.

I've bought a TON of IKM stuff and have liked their software and hardware, but this experience has left a terrible taste in my mouth. Given my situation, I won't be buying any more of their hardware and will probably not buy any software after my gear credits are gone. I am really disappointed as I really like their products and was heavily invested in their ecosystem. They really let me down.

So these now say they will be shipping within 1-2 weeks on thomann:
https://www.thomann.de/se/ik_multimedia_iloud_mtm.htm

Still no product reviews on youtube, I'd like to get some independent opinions on this before buying. There are a bunch of 2nd hand used genelecs (8020 & 8030 within the same price range) in my area that could be my plan B + Reference 4 room correction.

mrj1nx wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 7:28 am So these now say they will be shipping within 1-2 weeks on thomann:
https://www.thomann.de/se/ik_multimedia_iloud_mtm.htm

Still no product reviews on youtube, I'd like to get some independent opinions on this before buying. There are a bunch of 2nd hand used genelecs (8020 & 8030 within the same price range) in my area that could be my plan B + Reference 4 room correction.
There are quite a few user reports over at gearslutz. The product appears to sound great, but there are a lot of reports about various quality issues, pluse port noise at low frequencies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... Qhv4zrU4j8

Port noise video is noted by other users that basically pushing/abusing a product beyond spec is going to have such results. We have identified a cable manufacturing issue that we've been rectifying quickly and directly as well as posting transparently about it there (which has nothing to do with any port noise, nor indicating other issues - it just makes calibration off). There are also many with zero issues, also posting there, who are very happy with iLoud MTM.

If you'd like to hear them yourself before purchasing, we have dates set up at dealers, and expect to have more in more regions/locations soon, with information at https://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?id=heartobelievemtm

This user hits the nail on the head over there at GS (emphasis mine):
Just try it and return it if you don’t like it.
We’re talking about a price point for monitors that to me can be considered ‘low end’.
Not in the quality delivered obviously, but purely in price point. So when getting this product on the cheap, just bare in mind there might be issues (I haven’t had one so far luckily). The cool thing is you’re not dealing with some obscure one man operation which means you can either return the product to your dealer or get proper support from IK. The risk is low. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with how good they are.

IK is really doing some very fine work. I love my ILouds and Uno Synth is killer. Modo Drums on pre-order. Yep, I am fan. They've earned my business. Looking forward to trying these out.

For those interested in the calibration process or where one might prefer a video over the manual's steps for calibration:

https://youtu.be/OKNO-3q6Xe8

Huh, that is neat. Not sure if it’s something I need right now, but at the very least, I’ll be recommending it to folks. 8)

I'm really interested in these, need to replace my KRK rockit 5g with something that does better bass and has more accurate frequency response overall. My room is treated but still i guess that calibration thing would be very useful.

In short, would you recommend replacing my Krks with Mtms?
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:29 am I'm really interested in these, need to replace my KRK rockit 5g with something that does better bass and has more accurate frequency response overall. My room is treated but still i guess that calibration thing would be very useful.

I have the MTMs and am pretty happy with them. I remember listening to the KRK 5s and 8s and I'm pretty sure I'd far prefer the MTM's side to sideover the 5's. With enough space I might still prefer a decent set of 8 inch speakers, but my guess is that they would beat most 5's out there. I'd be curious to compare to 8 inch monitors.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:25 am
recursive one wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:29 am I'm really interested in these, need to replace my KRK rockit 5g with something that does better bass and has more accurate frequency response overall. My room is treated but still i guess that calibration thing would be very useful.

I have the MTMs and am pretty happy with them. I remember listening to the KRK 5s and 8s and I'm pretty sure I'd far prefer the MTM's side to sideover the 5's. With enough space I might still prefer a decent set of 8 inch speakers, but my guess is that they would beat most 5's out there. I'd be curious to compare to 8 inch monitors.
Thanks. 8 inch speakers would be too much for my room anyway. I thought about getting alpha focal 65 and sonarworks reference but since MTMs already have calibration tool it might be a viable alternative.

Did you have in quality issues like those other people mention here?
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Both Micro's and MTM's are speakers mainly made to be taken out with you and require as less space so they can be used as pair for editing, they are amazing for that, but I personally wouldn't splash that amount of money on them so they be my main monitors and stay in my studio whole time, kinda beats the purpose of paying extra for them.

If 8" is no go and you were considering Focal Alpha 65, than I would recommend to check following models in that price range too, Presnous R65, Fluid Audio FX-50 (soon to be released) and ESI uniK 05 Plus, pair cost as single MTM unit, so really, if you aren't going to travel with them and have space for them, no need to pay extra.

recursive one wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:49 am Did you have in quality issues like those other people mention here?
No quality issues here, no.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”