Available now: Tone2 Icarus2.5 - Wavetable Workstation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Icarus3

mladi wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:15 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:07 pm Gotta be honest, I don't really see the appeal of having a drum machine in a synth. What's the advantage over just using some other drum machine or a sample player in your daw?
It's already there so that is not the question anymore we just discuss the option for multi-outs.
I know it's there and I know what you are discussing. It is the question though because I asked it. Just wondering how people use it, maybe there's a benefit I'm not aware of. I'm not saying it shouldn't be there.

I was thinking about this too, but watching the video many times I think that there is something unique about the drum sequencer for some creative uses and other reasons:

1. Tone2 says Icarus 2 is no longer just a synth but a workstation, from that I guess it has to do more than what just a synth does and be able to do many of the things workstations do.

2. I also have drum machines that does the job pretty well already but watching the video with the I2 drum sequencer has an interesting feature, and that is the glitch sequencer; this is not so appealing for everyone but that is one aspect that makes the internal drum interesting.

3. Combined with all the modulations, lfos, env, randomizers ext. in I2 makes it more interesting and musical I think, I want to tweak it already. :D

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:07 pm Gotta be honest, I don't really see the appeal of having a drum machine in a synth. What's the advantage over just using some other drum machine or a sample player in your daw?
lots of synth plugins have drum loops (more or less); if you like a drum option, you can use an instance of icarus2 just for that; simple. if not, then... simple. :D

Wasn't sure for myself when i programed it. After toying around for 2 months with it i do not longer want to miss it. It's big fun and inspiration when you play it life. By combining it with the Glitch Sequencer and the FX you can build very interesting sounds.

External input would be cool, to use Icarus as an effect (especially with the glitch sequencer now).

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:00 am External input would be cool, to use Icarus as an effect (especially with the glitch sequencer now).
This is indeed a very good idea. After the release of Icarus 2.0 i will run some tests with this.

Markus Krause wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:20 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:00 am External input would be cool, to use Icarus as an effect (especially with the glitch sequencer now).
This is indeed a very good idea. After the release of Icarus 2.0 i will run some tests with this.
Great to hear! Adds a ton of value to a synth.
As a Bitwig user it's especially cool since by default all devices in a row receive midi on a track, which means one synth can go into another and be processed by it's signal path and they can both be triggered by the same midi. No fancy routing needed.

Request:
Choosing between 12 different ARPs, Drum- and Glitch-Sequences via Keyboard.

Would it possible, in a later update, to offer the option of choosing ARPs, Drum- and Glitch-Sequences via Keyboard in the lowest or highest Octave.
This would be very usefull if you offer such Sequencers, so that a user can play more then one ARP, Drum....etc. with on istance of Icarus 2.
An example for this feature is microtonic (analog drum vsti).

MorpherX wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:50 pm Request:
Choosing between 12 different ARPs, Drum- and Glitch-Sequences via Keyboard.

Would it possible, in a later update, to offer the option of choosing ARPs, Drum- and Glitch-Sequences via Keyboard in the lowest or highest Octave.
This would be very usefull if you offer such Sequencers, so that a user can play more then one ARP, Drum....etc. with on istance of Icarus 2.
An example for this feature is microtonic (analog drum vsti).
This would be indeed very musical and useful (if possible), it is something like the HY-plugins (from where I have all his sequencers :phones: ) so you can change the current patterns/sequences in real time by keyboard mapping.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A midi trigger for pattern changes is indeed very cool. Sugar Bytes do this with their Effectrix plugin. The coolest thing about it is that the pattern changer is also an automatable parameter. So it can be automated as one of 12 values, or triggered by the notes in a single midi note octave.

I want to make techno f**k edm

Not possible man. You heard the "lady". Only EDM. ;)

I find some points of Nena2 legit to discuss. Why this pretty unfair harsh reaction? The point maybe is, that focussing on such "instant-amaze yet not flexibility focussed" features might lead into a loss of potential. In the end, I also like it a bit more complicated, if I then get more flexibility in return. Surely Markus thought about this and seems to think that adding a lot of "one-button-amaze" features will simply sell better. I am not saying that it is that black/white with Icarus 2, there are a lot of features.

I find it deliciously ironic that someone who has racked up over 22,000 posts at KVR in less than nine years is telling someone else to "do something senseful with your time". :lol:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:17 pm I find some points of Nena2 legit to discuss. Why this pretty unfair harsh reaction? The point maybe is, that focussing on such "instant-amaze yet not flexibility focussed" features might lead into a loss of potential. In the end, I also like it a bit more complicated, if I then get more flexibility in return. Surely Markus thought about this and seems to think that adding a lot of "one-button-amaze" features will simply sell better. I am not saying that it is that black/white with Icarus 2, there are a lot of features.
Yes this is what I was thinking. The "one-button amaze" thing as being a part of a concept that attracts a certain "target?" group. I think it's reasonable to believe this group is mainly young guys who wants to make dance music. I also think this "one-button amaze" thing plays an important role for this group's choice of instruments. I also don't say it's so black/white. And I don't say it's not OK. I'm only surprised why this seem to be something sensitive for some people. Being a young guy liking EDM music and feeling attracted to Tone2 products is not a crime.

Return to “Instruments”