Cubase 10.5 is here now....

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Artist 13 Cubase Elements 13 Cubase Pro 13

ramseysounds wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:28 pm
vertibration wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:29 pmI have Cubase as well, and find it to be painful to navigate and create.
In which case you should spend more time learning it. I just upgraded to 10.5. £50 is well worth it but I just wish preferences would migrate from the previous version 🤷‍♂️
Not to everyone, not a single additional feature will I find useful. Padshop 2 , yeah ok its another synth, the multi tap delay, i doubt i'll use it, but ok, so you could argue those things are worth £50 of anyones money. But I don't.

All I can say is, V11 of Cubase better be f***ing awesome with massive improvements.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

So don't get it then and quit f***ing whining. Jeez its all people do on here at the moment
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

And not only people...

https://youtu.be/WppPC-VALWQ

First time I skipped an update in Cubase in decades. I am not complaining but call me underwhelmed. Hopefully Steinberg will refocus their efforts and make a Cubase 11 worth the purchase price from my vantage point. I am glad a lot of you feel different than I do so that keeps the money flowing for Steinberg.

The EQ comparison alone makes this update worth the money for me.

vertibration wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:29 pmI have Cubase as well, and find it to be painful to navigate and create.
In which case you should spend more time learning it. I just upgraded to 10.5. £50 is well worth it but I just wish preferences would migrate from the previous version.
Getting my Akai MPK249 to fully talk to 10.5 after upgrading was a pain in the backside. The list of supported midi controller/keyboards in Cubase is rubbish compared to Reason's :x

Grum.

In which case you should spend more time learning it. I just upgraded to 10.5. £50 is well worth it but I just wish preferences would migrate from the previous version 🤷‍♂️
I think the solution was to remove/rename the Cubase 10.5 settings folder and start the program. Or copy the contents from the 10.0 folder into the 10.5. I saved my profile in 10 and imported it in 10.5 (worked for the most part). But yeah, shouldn't happen in the first place.

fese wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:00 pm
I think the solution was to remove/rename the Cubase 10.5 settings folder and start the program. Or copy the contents from the 10.0 folder into the 10.5. I saved my profile in 10 and imported it in 10.5 (worked for the most part). But yeah, shouldn't happen in the first place.
I'm about to run the update installer. By default it wants to install to a new Cubase 10.5 folder.
But what if I install it to the existing Cubase 10 folder? That is what an update installer should be doing in the first place, right?
Or do you think that would become a terrible mess?

mountainmaster wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:18 pm
I'm about to run the update installer. By default it wants to install to a new Cubase 10.5 folder.
But what if I install it to the existing Cubase 10 folder? That is what an update installer should be doing in the first place, right?
Or do you think that would become a terrible mess?
No, we were talking about the settings folder. It is totally correct to install the software itself into a new 10.5 folder in "Program Files" (assuming windows), that way you can use both 10 and 10.5.
The settings/preferences folder is in "C:\Users\<your username>\Appdata\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase VERSION...". A new Cubase version should find older settings folders and migrate them to the new settings folder, but it seems this time it's broken.
Edit: The "Appdata" Folder is a hidden folder in windows. You can access it if you press Win+R, type "%APPDATA%\Steinberg" and press ENTER.

fese wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:28 pm No, we were talking about the settings folder. It is totally correct to install the software itself into a new 10.5 folder in "Program Files" (assuming windows), that way you can use both 10 and 10.5.
The settings/preferences folder is in "C:\Users\<your username>\Appdata\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase VERSION...". A new Cubase version should find older settings folders and migrate them to the new settings folder, but it seems this time it's broken.
Edit: The "Appdata" Folder is a hidden folder in windows. You can access it if you press Win+R, type "%APPDATA%\Steinberg" and press ENTER.
Thanks. Usually installing multiple versions of a product is considered bad practice, but if this is normal for Cubase then I will let the installer have its way. 8)

Update: Cubase 10.5 copied the settings from 10.0 just fine. I monitored the empty preferences folder and watched it being populated at first startup. I do run Cubase as administrator though, because I have a plugin which requires this.

I copied the preferences folder from 10 into 10.5 and it seems to work fine. :tu:

Grumbleweed wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:31 pm The list of supported midi controller/keyboards in Cubase is rubbish compared to Reason's :x

Grum.
Use reason then 🙄

ramseysounds wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:24 pm
Grumbleweed wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:31 pm The list of supported midi controller/keyboards in Cubase is rubbish compared to Reason's :x

Grum.
Use reason then 🙄
Useful comment. Thanks.
I'll sell my Cubase licence tomorrow.

Grum.

fese wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:18 am
THE INTRANCER wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:32 am
v1o wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:10 pm I don't know any DAW with innovating features. What are some innovative features you've checked out recently?
Parallel & Serial Multi FX Processing with VST Effects, Channel & Frequency Splitting in a node tree layout with branch splitting in addition to a node tree layout for Multi Instruments that can be branch-split and inserted with note triggering devices (Note FX) whilst allowing note ranges to be set across the keyboard, and integrating the channel strip for each instrument.

I had trouble finding this in Cubase in my time with version 9.5, and on my web searches earlier.
Well, that might be innovative, but it sure wasn’t an innovation from Presonus. Metaplugin has been doing similar stuff way before, as have modular DAWs like Mulab (maybe even tracktion, dunno). Maybe not the exact implementation, but the concept has been there before. So no innovation from S1. (I’d like to have that feature in cubase, though :wink: )
They all copy from each other. And the real invention was from Steinberg 30 years ago by introducing the timeline sequencer, and then later the introduction of VIrtual Studio Technology (VST) which made audio recording/processing possible without the need of buying horrendously expensive DSP cards. That was rather revolutionary.
Every other invention nowadays is usually just little increments (which can make a big difference workflow-wise, though). Hard to be really innovative.
That's exactly what I was going to say. None of those features are innovative any more. It's all been done.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Cubase is so feature rich, anything it doesn’t do just use 3rd party stuff - Kilohearts / Mux modular for all that parallel or serial fx processing. Bitwig is taking a bold step with its modular approach, especially how easy it is to see visually what’s being modulated - unlike Mulab. But all pale in comparison to Cubase’s sequencing and arranging capabilities.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”