What are you go-to mix bus and master bus "saturation" plugins?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just looking for some suggestions/advice on specific cases of mix and master bus saturation, as it needs to be subtle. Well, mostly. Thanks in advance. :)

True Iron
VSM-3
Blackbox HG-2
proud to produce warezless!
my Trap beatz:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4J14A ... -FzS9TNa2w

Toneboosters Reelbus 4
Toneboosters Enhancer
Klanghelm SDRR2
Klanghelm MJUC
Klanghelm DC8C3

Slate VCC2
Winner of 15th HOFA Xmas Mix Contest - 2024
2nd place winner of Boz Digital Labs Intl. Mix Contest - 2016

+1 for True Iron

u-he Satin is also great.

IVGI2
yzcoruhT

If saturation's needed, True Iron.
I love mixbuss compression, and my faves are definitely VSC-3, Kotelnikov and TrackComp, depending on what I'm aiming at.
Finally, if need, I'll use Softube Tape or u-he Satin.
Airwindows NotJustAnotherDither or Goodhertz GoodDither to end the chain.
Hope it helps !
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

Exciter from Izotope Ozone package. It's not only for master (does wonders), but often also for individual tracks.
True Iron
Didn't hear about it, but it gets great reviews.
Oh no, no plugin hunting anymore, please...
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Thanks guys. Interesting to see that I own none of the mentioned plugins.

Is there any Waves or Soundtoys alternative to True Iron? Not a true alternative, but something that comes close to it. Decapitator or Radiator? J37 or Kramer Master Tape or NLS? $40 is a decent price, but not looking to spend on something that I might already have the alternative of. Best would be to demo True Iron and compare, but would love to hear your opinions.

Hornet Tape

And Hornet Plugins has 40/50/60% off sales very often. 8)

AirWindows Buss Colors 4

SDRR is the best value and pretty versatile.

Thumbs up for Reelbus, True Iron, MJUC, BussColors4. Liking the IK tapes but not used them in anger yet.

MJUC and Wavesfactory Cassette in general. RC-20's distortion section is also good. Sometimes I dial in saturation on Presswerk or Barricade when I use them for limiting.

I sometimes like to go with more extreme saturation/distortion, but in parallel with a low wet level, and often EQd/filtered to keep it in a specific band. I like Supercharger GT and Ratshack Reverb for this. I just got McDSP 6050 on sale and feel like its saturation modules would work nicely for this too.

On mix only, I/we usually dont saturate whole signal

VSM-3
Blackbox HG-2
FabFilter Saturn
Elysia Karakter...
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Soundtoys Decapitator + UH-E Satin
Elektron Analog Heat (Hardware)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Effects”