One Synth Challenge #128: OB-Xd from discoDSP (mmGhost wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have seen something very curious in the spreadsheet. :o
Tj Shredder gave Jasinski 0 points. :x
Maybe someone will have to review that, right? :scared:

Congrats to all! Winners are all very well deserving (though I think there were a handful of very deserving entries throughout the top 20 to be honest).
I was very surprised by some of the generous scores I got. I hope to submit a more worthy entry this month.

L-EctroBit wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:47 pm I have seen something very curious in the spreadsheet. :o
Weellll ... my theory is that TJ Shredder didn't finish voting. I know that he knows about the voting post in the KVR forum (because he has voted for numerous OSCs in the past where he didn't participate - and often stated that he voted). This time, as far as i can see, he didn't say that he voted. So maybe he attempted to vote but didn't quite finish - and Jasinski's track happened to be the only one left :neutral:
If that's the case we should subtract his vote from everyone's score which would draw Jasinski as winner if I'm not mistaken (and would be a shame, because as it is, our score equals our BPM :clown: )

But yeah, we should wait to see what's actually the case. So please, BJ or Richard, could you double check with that? Thanks! :pray: :tu:

L-EctroBit wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:47 pm I have seen something very curious in the spreadsheet. :o
Looks like this may change the order of the top 3, but the top 5 names will remain the same
Checking with bjporter - will get back to you on this a bit later.

Uh, almost forgot about checking-in here... Congrats to the top 5!

I am all for a fair system but I don't mind if the order stays the same. I suspect that sometimes my pieces are judged a bit tougher because I've often been at the top. I understand that reaction. I don't compete to win but for the love of it. So what ever BJ or the community thinks is right I'll support.

Oh, pfff, if I didn't get my fair share of 1s, I would've said "nobody in his right mind would ever dare give you 0 points", but in TJ's case I'm 100% sure this was not on purpose! :roll:

Resolved. Tj Shredder had not intended his vote be counted on this occasion, so I have removed his votes from the scoresheet. The proper result for the top 5 is as follows:-

1. mmGhost - Āstika (169 pts)
2. Jasinski - Open the Box (168 pts)
3. Zarf and Carl_saved - Until Tomorrow (167 pts)
4. TheNeverScene - At WalMart (162 pts)
5. Rellik - Sky Bird In The Sky (161 pts)

Sorry for the confusion folks.

Thanks a lot for the clarification!
Now a due congrats to mmGhost/Chris for his win! :clap: :clap:
Congrats also to fellow top5ers Jasinski, TheNeverScene, Rellik and Zarf :)
And all others, good month with good tunes :phones:

Congrats to the top 5 - awesome round this time. Many top tracks, shame only 5 could "win"!

dB

Congrats to mmGhost. Well deserved. Also to the following four winners. :clap: :clap: :clap:

This month I am really happy with my result, I am not referring to my position in the scoresheet (although I am not complaining either), but with the track I did and especially with everything I could learn while doing it. I am also glad to see that some of the participants enjoyed the track. Learning new things is the best prize for me and this month was a great time in that regard. :)

I want to comment one thing. Reviewing the spreadsheet I saw that there are few contestants who use all 5 points to vote. More than 80 percent do not use one (1) point in voting (I am one of them). And that is not only this month, but every month the same thing happens. In the practice the majority are working with an scale of 4 points.
I think that a scale of 4 points to value 30, 40 or 50 tracks (depending on participation) is insufficient. Many times we have to gather oranges with apples in the same basket (sorry for the not very delicate way of saying it :roll: ), because we only have 4 baskets in which to separate our points.
Already in the past much has been discussed about the subject and advised participants to use the full 5-point scale, but that does not change things. I think the solution maybe to extend the scale to 7 or better 10 points, making possible to vote in a more comfortable and perhaps fair way, fine tuning the results.
This month we have seen how only by deleting the votes of Tj Shredder the score changed to, for example, Jasinski went from third to second, ThePresent went from tenth to seventh, Tomx2188 went from seventh to eleventh and so on (many of us stayed as we were :scared: ...not problem).
We also saw how the first three places are separated by just one point and we see the same in the rest of the positions where even many are tied. I think we could see many surprises if an expanded scale of votes is applied. We may not see dramatic but significant differences. :tu:

Carl_saved wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:43 am
Weellll ... my theory is that TJ Shredder didn't finish voting.
Yes, that was the case. I listened but decided in the end not to vote...

We have been round the voting scheme many times. I do think that lately the tracks have been so good that the 5 point scale (4 for many) has not been sufficient.

Brian/Richard? How easy/difficult would it be to re-program your excellent voting page to be a 7 point rather than a 5 point scale? Maybe someone else here would be able to lend hand (or leg z.prime??? :D ).

dB

L-EctroBit wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:23 pm Congrats to mmGhost. Well deserved. Also to the following four winners. :clap: :clap: :clap:

This month I am really happy with my result, I am not referring to my position in the scoresheet (although I am not complaining either), but with the track I did and especially with everything I could learn while doing it. I am also glad to see that some of the participants enjoyed the track. Learning new things is the best prize for me and this month was a great time in that regard. :)

I want to comment one thing. Reviewing the spreadsheet I saw that there are few contestants who use all 5 points to vote. More than 80 percent do not use one (1) point in voting (I am one of them). And that is not only this month, but every month the same thing happens. In the practice the majority are working with an scale of 4 points.
I think that a scale of 4 points to value 30, 40 or 50 tracks (depending on participation) is insufficient. Many times we have to gather oranges with apples in the same basket (sorry for the not very delicate way of saying it :roll: ), because we only have 4 baskets in which to separate our points.
Already in the past much has been discussed about the subject and advised participants to use the full 5-point scale, but that does not change things. I think the solution maybe to extend the scale to 7 or better 10 points, making possible to vote in a more comfortable and perhaps fair way, fine tuning the results.
This month we have seen how only by deleting the votes of Tj Shredder the score changed to, for example, Jasinski went from third to second, ThePresent went from tenth to seventh, Tomx2188 went from seventh to eleventh and so on (many of us stayed as we were :scared: ...not problem).
We also saw how the first three places are separated by just one point and we see the same in the rest of the positions where even many are tied. I think we could see many surprises if an expanded scale of votes is applied. We may not see dramatic but significant differences. :tu:
I agree with the scale not having enough range. I have always thought a 10 point scale would be better.

I must also say that I am one of those that did not use a 1 this round. For me a 1 means not much skill and not much effort. In my opinion there wasn't a track that met both of those criteria this month.

heh well if i have to get lucky and inch out Jas by 1 vote i guess i'll take what i can get! honestly there were a lot of tracks that could have easily been at the top of the heap this time around. i'm glad some of you liked my tune i had fun making it. i'm still not happy with the mix at different listening volumes but that will be something to work on in another month.

incidentally the first time i ended up first on OSC was with OB-Xd 3 years ago... seems OB is my synth. kinda funny.

in any case, i had fun picking apart a lot of your compositions this month, some great chord changes, melodies, and hooks. so funny how much talent lurks in this little forum.

cheers

Return to “Instruments”