SYN'X 2.5 Released - Xils-Lab - (Multitimbral Synthex - intro discount-)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Syn'X

thejonsolo wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:17 am Yes it was a strange choice for their interface.
While we're on the subject, I always liked most of Xils' GUIs, but they really dropped the ball on the Synthex emus. The gui doesn't look pro, too flat, and boring on both synths. Whoever did the PolyKB did a great job, but if the same person did the Syn'X guis, they need to redo 'em from scratch.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

BlackWinny wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:46 am
e-crooner wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:31 am Are those 99 euros with or without VAT?
With.
I just checked.

The invoice says:
Amount excluding VAT : 82.50
+ 20% VAT : 16.50
Total VAT included : 99

:tu:
Seems to be dynamic. Mine was €79.20 + €19.80 (25%) VAT = €99. That's pretty generous as some companies just add the VAT on top of the advertised price.

I ended up getting it since sales at Xils are apparently pretty rare and it would be a shame to miss this. I agree the UI isn't as "pretty" as PolyKB, and a bit more cluttered due to the layers and other functionality. I think it would help if the different sections were more clearly divided and some knobs were different sizes (for the filter, in particular, since there's a lot of empty space there). Still it's fairly easy to navigate.

e-crooner wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:31 am Are those 99 euros with or without VAT?
With.
I just checked.

The invoice says:

Thanks. I also like that egalitarian pricing policy. And I hope they charge Americans 110 dollars, even though they don't have to pay VAT.

Does it come with multiple skins? There are grayish screenshots, but also blue ones. I think the grayish one looks better, more like hardware.

The labels seem a bit inconsistent. Some abbreviations have a period, others don't. Some abbreviations themselves are "unusual".

:wink:

Yes, I think that there could be a good number of nice improvements on the skins to make them "more professional" as is the GUI of PolyKB III. Mainly on the default blue skin which looks extremely... flat, almost as a kind of draft version.
:D

If we compare the default skin of Syn'X which looks very draft with the default skin of PolyKB III which is awesome...

... not at all the same quality of graphic works. The beautiful 3D dimension of PolyKB is totally absent on the skin of Syn'X. A great improvement would be very welcome.
:D
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Feature request for Mini and full: ability to hide the keyboard (sure, and sequencer).

e-crooner wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:37 pm When I look at the specs, I get the impression that its architecture is similar to Dune's (8 layers if I get that right).
But judging from the audio demos on the site, it sounds much more pleasant and musical than Dune, it seems to have more body and punch.
The user interface seems a bit confusing, though.
It's an analog emulation of a very specific synth (Elka Synthex). So it inherits the character of the original machine : Very fast envelopes etc.
As for the global architecture, it's inspired by the Matrix 12, one of the most complex polyphonic analog synthesizers. UI has two modes : Eazy, like in the MiniSyn'X (or OG Synthex), and advanced. As there's a lot to use, it might be a bit complex in the beginning in the advanced mode, but once you'll get used to it, it's rather easy to master it, or, to put it otherwise, it has a strong logic.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

BlackWinny wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:03 am Not a single LED !

Not even to show clearly that the synth is correctly plugged and on ! If there's a power outage, I won't even know it!
Keyboard notes are animated when it's correctly plugged and notes are received :) (or simply : plugged as any other VSTI). Maybe worth a hundred leds ? :)

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

e-crooner wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:46 pm
With.
I just checked.

The invoice says:

Thanks. I also like that egalitarian pricing policy. And I hope they charge Americans 110 dollars, even though they don't have to pay VAT.
VAT depends on your country. Final price will always be the same, but VAT balance will vary according to buyer country's rate.

HunterKiller wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:26 am
thejonsolo wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:17 am Yes it was a strange choice for their interface.
While we're on the subject, I always liked most of Xils' GUIs, but they really dropped the ball on the Synthex emus. The gui doesn't look pro, too flat, and boring on both synths. Whoever did the PolyKB did a great job, but if the same person did the Syn'X guis, they need to redo 'em from scratch.
I also prefer the PolyKB GUI, but one should remember that it's realitstic/skeumorphic GUI got a lot of critics too when it was released. Would I dare to say, having read a lot of comments on various synths UIs/GUIs for years, that a single GUI will never, by definition, please everyone ?

However it's very easy to use it -imho- and it doesn't give eye fatigue.
All in all, compared to the previous version, a lot of things were bettered in the workflow/logic/usability. Yes, there are probably many things that still could be enhanced, and asprecise as possible requests are always welcomed.

+1 for PolyKB's GUI.

Lotuzia wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:40 am
BlackWinny wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:03 am Not a single LED !

Not even to show clearly that the synth is correctly plugged and on ! If there's a power outage, I won't even know it!
Keyboard notes are animated when it's correctly plugged and notes are received :) (or simply : plugged as any other VSTI). Maybe worth a hundred leds ? :)
At Christmas I play only with Christmas trees.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

I must say that I enjoy working with this synth very much. It's a bit of a head scratcher at first but once the layers and voices are understood it can go as deep as you want. I like being able to pan the different layers with individual filters and envelopes - adds nice depth to the sound.
I prefer a single GUI synth as it makes working easier, but often the controls just won't fit in one screen... unless they are all titchy :?

Hemmick Reef wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:56 pm I must say that I enjoy working with this synth very much. It's a bit of a head scratcher at first but once the layers and voices are understood it can go as deep as you want. I like being able to pan the different layers with individual filters and envelopes - adds nice depth to the sound.
I prefer a single GUI synth as it makes working easier, but often the controls just won't fit in one screen... unless they are all titchy :?
This is one side of the beauty of the Syn'X 2 : Even on fairly simple patches, where all layers are identical, just change the LFO speed on some layers, or the filter cut-off, or the Pan settings, and suddenly you have a much more organic vibe. Something that barely no other analog emulations can achieve.

So with the same base patch, you can stay simple/punchy, or add depth/details/interest easily, or go complex to crazy by loading/experimenting with totally different layers.

Lotuzia wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:30 pm
Hemmick Reef wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:56 pm I must say that I enjoy working with this synth very much. It's a bit of a head scratcher at first but once the layers and voices are understood it can go as deep as you want. I like being able to pan the different layers with individual filters and envelopes - adds nice depth to the sound.
This is one side of the beauty of the Syn'X 2 : Even on fairly simple patches, where all layers are identical, just change the LFO speed on some layers, or the filter cut-off, or the Pan settings, and suddenly you have a much more organic vibe. Something that barely no other analog emulations can achieve.

So with the same base patch, you can stay simple/punchy, or add depth/details/interest easily, or go complex to crazy by loading/experimenting with totally different layers.
And it is this which decides me to purchase it.

Return to “Instruments”