One Synth Challenge #128: OB-Xd from discoDSP (mmGhost wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ok i guess i'll be greedy this moth for prize:
  • Sonimus - Satson CS Channel Strip
  • JRR Shop - Vocal Sounds for Xfer Serum

Congrats mmGhost, Jasinski, TNS, Relllik ... and everyone else for such a strong round :)
Also of course to Carl_saved for the fun collab.
Amazed and delighted to be in the top 5, wasn't expecting that :D :hyper:

I'll pass on prizes this month.

For prize - Sonimus Britson please :) Thanks very much indeed!

Richard, BJ - Another vote for increasing the scoring range to 1-10 or 1-7. It would enable my voting to much better reflect what I really think and give clearer 'credit' where I think it is deserved, rather than having to give the same score to tracks that I rate very differently.

1 - 10, yes, my vote for that, too. :tu:

btw … I suggested 1-7 as a normal Likert scale in common use in psychometrics. And, I was thinking that re-programming the voting pageto make 7 bins up from 5 bins might be a relatively easy job. I suppose 1-10 is like a 9 point scale if your track is the only one in the 1 bin!

Always sensible to have a mid point from which to then push tracks up or down :-)

dB

+1 for 1-7 scale. But with that big a range, I also think this has the potential to wreck havoc in the rankings if used incorrectly or with malicious intent :hihi:

Well, once it's reprogrammed, there could be an explicit field to exclude the own song, too, just so it's not so demoralizing to give oneself 0 points, hahaha! :lol:
I do like the "psychometrics" hint...can be quite interesting to look into that. The two values 5 and 7 are deeply woven together in spiritual contexts, by the way. Just "ask" Manly P. Hall about it, hehehe...in a seance! :lol:

Yup Taron, google up Likert scale and follow how it's used in all manner of psychometric testing! I used it for many personality "measurements" in the past. For large scale projects with over 2000 respondents/subjects I needed to employ Factor Analysis and other such tools such as Multidimensional Scaling (MDX) and Lisrel (well before it made it into SPSS! Worked with Karl Jöreskog on that one implementing it on my PDP-11!!!)

Ideally the "own" bin can be used and NOT designated as "0"! People can then assign the bins as they wish …

Basically 3 bins for a good track and three bins for a not so good track!

"Very fab" "Fab" "sort of Fab" "OK" "sort of not fab" "not Fab" "really not fab" … or whatever!

dB

Like it already! ;)

Congrats with another finished round, great job guys! I was thinking about 1-7 and 1-10 voting system since I've participated in the large scale round (50+ entries), so I would be excited to at least try it out once. Or may be set the fixed number or entries where 1-7 or 1-10 voting system kicks in (35+/1-7 and 50+/1-10 for example).
"Some people don't like music created on a PC and declare it as "fake". I don't care. The only thing matters to me is the end result."
SoundCloud YouTube Patreon

I think that any change to the voting system will need Brian/Richard to re-program the voting page! That's why we need to not overthink or over complicate the methodology :-) Hence, 1-7 might be easy to do with some judicious cutnpaste? Then adding in the "own track" bin, as "0" points should be OK and not overcomplicate the data for the final spreadsheets.

Of course, BJ and RS have day jobs too, so finding time to make such changes may be difficult.

dB

PS. Also, slotting tracks into 10 bins might make the drag and drop voting a bit of a PITA, whereas 7 bins might just about be OK.

Sorry for the late reply! And thanks! I think a lot of us love and use OB-xD on a regular basis. It started as a great synth from 2Dat and has only gotten better.

Prize: Discovery please!
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Personally, the five point system does a leveling job for me, meaning: it forces me to temper my personal music taste a bit. When I hear three of four great tracks, three of them might not be my personal taste in music. But I might feel they’re great because of Sounddesign or production or something else that’s marvelous. And then, I still award those tracks a 5, together with the tracks that also tickle my personal taste in music.
With a 7 or 10 point system, I’m tempted to give the particular piece that happens to fit in my taste 7 or 10 points and the “other” great tracks less.
I know the voting is a very personal thing, and a 5 point system won’t change that, but this “slightly” leveling effect, to me, is an advantage.

ThePresent wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:18 am Personally, the five point system does a leveling job for me, meaning: it forces me to temper my personal music taste a bit....
....I know the voting is a very personal thing, and a 5 point system won’t change that, but this “slightly” leveling effect, to me, is an advantage.
Ok, I have reviewed your vote in the scoresheet (OSC128) and I have seen that you have not given anyone one (1) point. So as it seems, you are in the majority group of people who do not use the full 5-point scale.

In practice you are saying, which is respectable, that you like the 4-point scale. Because if we really wanted to apply a 5-point scale, we would have to raise it to 6 points (in the sense that more than 80 percent of the contestants month after month refuse to use one (1) point to vote, including yourself and me too. You just check the spreadsheets of the past few months to verify it).

What I have said in my first post is that it seems to me that 4 points is insufficient to value 30, 40 or 50 tracks and that leads to a very inaccurate results. :wink:

Return to “Instruments”