Your fave MIDI fx, arp, mapper, mangler, generator, chorder, controller, utility. VST or MFX

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Scaler is on sale for $29.
Tempted.
Is this the lowest price ever?
https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... 3796412620

Think it’s a real useful tool, not sure if lowest ever, def worth $29

I seem to recall the intro offer was less, but not seen again at that price, fwiw…

Apologies to all, I haven't been back for a while and just wanted to explain - the reason I listed a bunch of Kontakt instruments is because I use the midi-out of Kontakt when I run a lot of these, so in my mind Kontakt has just become a big midi-fx. I use a lot of instances that simply run scripts, no samples even involved, in order to control modules downstream.

Soniccouture used to sell Scriptorium, a library of scripts you could use in Kontakt, but I don't see it on their site anymore :(.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:42 pm Scaler is on sale for $29.
Tempted.
Is this the lowest price ever?
https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... 3796412620
I’m also tempted by Scaler, at the current price. Bear in mind though that Scaler 2.0 is set to be released around January, and that this will be a paid upgrade (upgrade price not released as yet).

More info on Scaler 2.0 below, including a video - they’re currently doing beta testing.

https://forum.scalerplugin.com/

OH, question to Captain users - since there is no available manual I need to bother you for a moment: I only do live work, so do the Captain plugs wait for any kind of note input or anything to start running, or do they blindly run as soon as 'play' is engaged?

As I understand it runs when you press play, so if you have a bunch of captain plugins that are “connected” and you have the proper midi sync settings for your daw it should run when you press play.

Read a bit more on Scaler and Scaler 2.
Wow, what an enthusiastic fan club it has.
Looks like release is at NAMM January 16, 2020.
So now I am a bit more interested in buying Scaler 1 and hope the upgrade will not be more than $20.

But still wondering if Loomer Architect will soon cover much of Scaler.
https://www.loomer.co.uk/architect.htm
Looking to buy Midi Madness at BF prices hopefully below $59.(now £59=$76)
https://midimadnesssoftware.com/midi-madness-3

Kalamata Kid wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:56 pm Read a bit more on Scaler and Scaler 2.
Wow, what an enthusiastic fan club it has.
Looks like release is at NAMM January 16, 2020.
So now I am a bit more interested in buying Scaler 1 and hope the upgrade will not be more than $20.

But still wondering if Loomer Architect will soon cover much of Scaler.
https://www.loomer.co.uk/architect.htm
Looking to buy Midi Madness at BF prices hopefully below $59.(now £59=$76)
https://midimadnesssoftware.com/midi-madness-3
there is no knowing how long it will be before Loomer Architect gets an upgrade with premade modules. Could be years, could be a week. I bought the beta and wish I hadn't as it is no use to me at all. Potentially amazing, but so far is useless for my way of working. If Loomer allowed full license transfers I would sell mine but they only do NFR. I definitely would not buy Architect until it actually had exactly what you want built in - I bought on potential and what seemed like a roadmap of development - that has not been realised so far. But as I said earlier, maybe tomorrow it will all be updated and fantastic.

Scaler is okay but I dont find it creative to work with interactively. I am looking at Captain Chords at the moment and that does seem quite good - better than I first thought. The chord rhythmic sequencing looks fun. I demoed Midi Madness but could not get into it - thats a personal workflow thing so there are bound to be people who just gel with it.
My current favourites are Riffer, Obelisk, and Harvest with CodeFN42 RandARP and Insert Piz Here midiprobability a fair bit as well.

Tried most of this stuff while still looking for the easiest and most comfortables for building chord progressions as vst (sundog is absolutely great for this as a standalone product for example).

Was not really convinced from scaler (a lot of comparable stuff you can get at pluginboutique too isnt it to say it polite) but after all this good comments about it and now in the sale I just have to try it out.

And after some video tutorials and trying out parallel I must say for my dedicated case (finding some interesting but "correct" chord progressions, exportable easy by drag and drop, rudimental strum/arp functions useable on it, fun to play with) this is just it.

Something easy to use like I2C8 (which is now MidiQ at WA, really nothing added in case of functionality) is just to limited and I doubt the lost chance to devellop this thing in the last years will now be taken by WA (there main spot is to SELL not to devellop) and has no fundamental learning background behind it like Scaler. Sometimes you really get surprised in the positive way and I am still wondering about it..... (and enyoing it :-) )

Protocol_b wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:12 pm Apologies to all, I haven't been back for a while and just wanted to explain - the reason I listed a bunch of Kontakt instruments is because I use the midi-out of Kontakt when I run a lot of these, so in my mind Kontakt has just become a big midi-fx. I use a lot of instances that simply run scripts, no samples even involved, in order to control modules downstream.

Soniccouture used to sell Scriptorium, a library of scripts you could use in Kontakt, but I don't see it on their site anymore :(.
Totally ditto, big time:) In case anybody reading here hasn't yet found it, there's already a useful thread on exactly this (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=495526), probably mentioned before in this thread, too, but really can't be mentioned too often, imo, when MIDI is the topic. Kontakt IS a MIDI Monster, for sure, not to be overlooked.

David wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:57 pm
Protocol_b wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:12 pm Apologies to all, I haven't been back for a while and just wanted to explain - the reason I listed a bunch of Kontakt instruments is because I use the midi-out of Kontakt when I run a lot of these, so in my mind Kontakt has just become a big midi-fx. I use a lot of instances that simply run scripts, no samples even involved, in order to control modules downstream.

Totally ditto, big time:) In case anybody reading here hasn't yet found it, there's already a useful thread on exactly this (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=495526), probably mentioned before in this thread, too, but really can't be mentioned too often, imo, when MIDI is the topic. Kontakt IS a MIDI Monster, for sure, not to be overlooked.
agree - Cracklefield is huge - takes a while to understand but once you do is quick and flexible

Incidentally, MY current MIDI FX fav is a combo, featured in detail in the last several livestreams from pluginguru (https://www.youtube.com/user/thepluginguru). He's coming out soon with a really cool plugin-hosting plugin called Unify, that I'm part of the beta-testing group for.

It's most interesting aspect, for me, is that it lets you load as many different MIDI FX "layers" as you want, both in serial and in parallel, AND direct the output of any of these to any or all of however many instrument layers you can also load, which can hold any vst, vst3, or au plugins you've got, also in series or parallel. So, it's easy to send the same MIDI FX instance to multiple vsts at the same time, which in some DAWs is either hard or impossible (not currently possible with Captain Chords, either, unless used inside—or outside—Unify, or with other plugin hosts like Patchwork or Bidule—which I have and are neither as simple and straight-forward as Unify). Or, to send a different instance of the same MIDI FX to lots of different instrument layers, to easily set up, for instance, multiple interlocking arp patterns, driving a bunch of different instruments, and save the whole thing as a single plugin preset for easy recall.

Unify will come with several open-source, free instrument plugins officially built-in, along with a custom sampler pre-loaded with a bunch of pluginguru sample libraries, AND including the fantastically amazing BlueARP as the main built-in MIDI FX, which I'd never really checked out before, but am now kinda floored by.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=361311

I'll definitely be doing a video soon on what I love about it, but in short, besides being totally free and cross-platform, it's super powers are that:
—It's both a step-sequencer and an arpeggiator, which is NOT typical. This mean you can design very complex phrases to arpeggiate—iow, to complete repitch and reharmonize, IRT, on the fly. OR run as is without repitching.
—It's also an arp chainer, which is how you can so easily make complex phrases, by arranging sequences of arp presets.
—It's also very deep, with pretty much every normal and lots of rare parameters that you'll soon come to expect in ANY arpeggiator worthy of the name, altho the one thing it doesn't do is respond to more than 5 different held notes at a time; it's one of those arps (like Nora or Kameleono) that counts held notes from low to high, and it only goes up to 5. But believe me, you WON'T feel limited by it:)

So, together Unify and BlueARP are…quite amazing.
Last edited by David on Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

By "to complete repitch and reharmonize", I don't mean that I'm personally drawing on a vast knowledge of traditional music theory to do this (sorry, can't do!).

I mean simply that it's easy to experimentally "perform" a BlueARP sequence just by fiddling around with different held notes, from 1 up to 5, whether they're traditional chords or not, which you can sort of do with any arpeggiator, but more so with BlueARP, because of how complex the patterns you can pre-build are, and because of the various nontypical ways you can preconfigure the scales and notes used, (you can set some to be fixed notes, for example, or as chord roots…) whether you're going to trigger chords, when your sequenced arps will trigger (like clip following in Ableton), including when it switches to MIDI thru, then back to arpping, exactly when octave shifts will happen per note rather than per preset like almost every other arpeggiator, and because BlueARP has basic harmonic analysis built in so it generally knows what chords you're playing even if you don't and can be set to use that analysis rather than a preset scale. Like that…
Last edited by David on Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

David wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:57 pm In case anybody reading here hasn't yet found it, there's already a useful thread on exactly this (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=495526), probably mentioned before in this thread, too, but really can't be mentioned too often, imo, when MIDI is the topic. Kontakt IS a MIDI Monster, for sure, not to be overlooked.
Ok one more mention!
Interesting Kontakt Sequencers?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=495526
Very informative!

Return to “Effects”