bo-jingles

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
User avatar
Googly Smythe
KVRAF
2575 posts since 12 May, 2011 from Not where I was just now.

Post Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:03 pm

Really like the section that starts around the 14:30 mark - puts me in the mind of a cross between Floyd and Yes. :tu:
Bandcamp - Soundcloud
What is life without a little whimsy?

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
15243 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: bo-jingles

Post Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:13 pm

markkuja wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:13 am
Great job. Long but Interesting track with differend parts. Good composition work and arrangement
It is definitely long. However, it was actually intended as an album. I will go into details at some point as to how things turned out the way they did.

Thanks for listening, and taking the time to comment :tu:
Last edited by el-bo (formerly ebow) on Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
15243 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: bo-jingles

Post Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:17 pm

Googly Smythe wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:03 pm
Really like the section that starts around the 14:30 mark - puts me in the mind of a cross between Floyd and Yes. :tu:
Not familiar with any of Yes' work, but I'll take the Floyd nod, and run with it.

I do also really like that section. Although, as someone else commented, the drums just destroy the section. I'm going to go back to the project, and fix all the things that annoy me about it. Just worried about what I might find :scared:

Thanks for listening and commenting :tu:

User avatar
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
25135 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Re: bo-jingles

Post Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:37 pm

I enjoyed the guitar based parts/tracks the most. I think some sections could do with a melody line to add another layer of interest. Some "ear candy" would be nice ... the drums on the last section are a bit much IMHO. Maybe some wacky percussion would work better? I'd like a touch more bass in the mixes overall.

It sounds like it's an album and there are lots of enjoyable hooks and progressions which flow nicely throughout. Definitely worthy of some more attention. Good work.

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
15243 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: bo-jingles

Post Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:41 am

thecontrolcentre wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:37 pm
I enjoyed the guitar based parts/tracks the most. I think some sections could do with a melody line to add another layer of interest. Some "ear candy" would be nice ... the drums on the last section are a bit much IMHO. Maybe some wacky percussion would work better? I'd like a touch more bass in the mixes overall.

It sounds like it's an album and there are lots of enjoyable hooks and progressions which flow nicely throughout. Definitely worthy of some more attention. Good work.
Indeed! It's one of my favourite things I've done, but I can barely stand to listen to it because of certain issues, which you and Wags et al have picked up on. Will address the rest of your post and the other comments in a longer post, erm...soon

Thanks for listening and commenting :tu:

enroe
KVRian
1096 posts since 19 Mar, 2008 from germany

Re: bo-jingles

Post Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:59 am

--> Ninety eight grams <--

Ooops, this has a length of 36:46 minutes! Really?

It starts in an atmospheric way with wide and calm sounds - is it a cinema or
theatre-track? This track seems to be a longer journey into an imaginary world,
and various different parts keep up the attention.

Some musicians say that a "good song" is very smooth and relaxed and
simultaneously carries a strong inner power of imagination. In this definition your
song is a marvellous piece of art! :tu:

Personally I let it play in the background, because patience is required if
I wanted to listen for a whole half hour. What I liked most is the consistency of
the flow and the variety. At ca. 14 minutes the drums and e-guitar start to enter,
so here the "pink floyd comfortably numb" effect starts.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
15243 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: bo-jingles

Post Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:44 am

enroe wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:59 am
--> Ninety eight grams <--

Ooops, this has a length of 36:46 minutes! Really?

It starts in an atmospheric way with wide and calm sounds - is it a cinema or
theatre-track? This track seems to be a longer journey into an imaginary world,
and various different parts keep up the attention.

Some musicians say that a "good song" is very smooth and relaxed and
simultaneously carries a strong inner power of imagination. In this definition your song is a marvellous piece of art! :tu:

Personally I let it play in the background, because patience is required if
I wanted to listen for a whole half hour. What I liked most is the consistency of
the flow and the variety. At ca. 14 minutes the drums and e-guitar start to enter,
so here the "pink floyd comfortably numb" effect starts.
Haha! You made my day. Glad to have evoked such a positive reaction :tu:

And it will eventually lose some weight, in minutes ;)

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
54696 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: bo-jingles

Post Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:08 am

so, is bo jingles a play on "tatty bo jangles"?

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
15243 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: bo-jingles

Post Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:14 am

vurt wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:08 am
so, is bo jingles a play on "tatty bo jangles"?
Haha! Never heard of that. But no! It's a play on Mr. Bojangles, and the jingles (Choons) of bo (me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4jBSc1uxx8

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
54696 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: bo-jingles

Post Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:14 am

well i got the el bo jingles, i may be high but im not an idiot (sometimes)
cant believe i missed the nina though :oops:

User avatar
Frantz
KVRAF
5243 posts since 18 Jul, 2008 from New York

Re: bo-jingles

Post Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:41 pm

An impressive work. I liked the guitar driven parts the most. At times, it reminded me of Mike Oldfield's work.

I thought some sections were possibly underdeveloped but perhaps that will be addressed in version 2.0?

User avatar
ariston
KVRAF
3528 posts since 28 Jun, 2009 from Wherever I lay my hat

Re: bo-jingles

Post Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:53 pm

Well! This is right up my alley - as a teenager, I thought that, the longer a track, the better it is (a common prog belief). I enjoyed my listen quite a bit, and before I say anything else, I'd like to point out the most important thing: your track has a LOT of heart, and that's something that's in short supply in music in general. Emotionally, it's spot on, and I always prefer that to impressive technical wankery.

The few criticisms I have are pretty much matters of taste. Overall, the sound could be a bit brighter - or is that soundcloud? Generally, a remix would probably do wonders - greater dynamics, separation and all that. OTOH, I'm a sucker for a retro sound, and it's there.
Some have mentioned it being a bit underdeveloped - I also thought that more melodic content and tighter composition would benefit the track. But it's fine as it stands, my interest was held most of the time, not a small feat considering its length.

Very nice work! :clap: :tu:

User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF
9317 posts since 13 Mar, 2009 from UK

Re: bo-jingles

Post Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:56 pm

Some kinda prog thingy. Others have mentioned similarities with PT and Oldfield, and I can see that. I also thought parts of this had a Sigur Rós vibe. I saw the length of the track and thought I would play it whilst cleaning up old email, but in the end, I just listened. Quite a spell.

I imagine a few late-nights were involved in the making of this one.

Good work :)

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
15243 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: bo-jingles

Post Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:17 am

Frantz wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:41 pm
An impressive work. I liked the guitar driven parts the most. At times, it reminded me of Mike Oldfield's work.

I thought some sections were possibly underdeveloped but perhaps that will be addressed in version 2.0?
One of my first musical memories is of Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells, which was released when I was two-years-old. Not sure when i first heard it, but when i could eventually work out how to play tapes, I must've worn my parents' copy out. The first part of that album is still a contender for my all-time favourite piece of music (If not, the no:1 spot), and I credit it for how less common time-signatures feel more normal to me than straight 4's (And maybe an interest in longer, evolving pieces). I did swear to do my own cover/tribute at one point, and even started the project. Will definitely re-visit it at some point. Anyway! Suffice to say, I take it as a real compliment :hug:

As to your other comments: Yes! Definitely underdeveloped. I know i keep on promising to offer some clarity on how this project came to existence, but I was just waiting to get a feeling for how people would perceive the music without all the explanations, disclaimers, caveats and excuses. Normally I get all this out of the way, first, by way of apologising the inherent issues. However, I no longer believe that is the ideal way to do thing.

I am still unsure how the update will go. I first have to see how much of a nine-year-old project will still load up, and how many parts will be trying to address virtual instruments or audio tracks that I no longer have. Makes me anxious :scared:

Thanks for the listen, and for taking the time to comment :tu:

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
15243 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: bo-jingles

Post Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:25 am

ariston wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:53 pm
Well! This is right up my alley - as a teenager, I thought that, the longer a track, the better it is (a common prog belief). I enjoyed my listen quite a bit, and before I say anything else, I'd like to point out the most important thing: your track has a LOT of heart, and that's something that's in short supply in music in general. Emotionally, it's spot on, and I always prefer that to impressive technical wankery.

The few criticisms I have are pretty much matters of taste. Overall, the sound could be a bit brighter - or is that soundcloud? Generally, a remix would probably do wonders - greater dynamics, separation and all that. OTOH, I'm a sucker for a retro sound, and it's there.
Some have mentioned it being a bit underdeveloped - I also thought that more melodic content and tighter composition would benefit the track. But it's fine as it stands, my interest was held most of the time, not a small feat considering its length.

Very nice work! :clap: :tu:
It's really a compliment that you have certain misgivings, and yet still enjoyed listening. And glad you found it to have "a LOT of heart". I do like "impressive technical wankery", but when I 'write' music, it tends to be a lot more about feel, and is at least in part trying to pull at some emotion or other.

Will address your comments about the production side of things at a later dat (It'll fit in with the project backstory).

Thanks for the listen, and for taking the time to comment :tu:

Return to “Music Cafe”